• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High bacteroides good or bad?

Hello everyone.
I would love some advice on the following.

My gut changed from high firmicutes to high bacteroides.
I was on a low-ish carb paleo diet because that is all my gut could tolerate.
I then had a very stressful period and I got very ill again..

I will upload my results now.

My doctor, Dr Meirleir, says it's really bad to have high bacteroides; they are toxins when overgrown (LPS). But Dr Myhill says it's great to have high bacteroides.
"
Bacteroides - 90% of total gut flora - feed them
The problem is that there is no probiotic on the market that supplies bacteroides for the above reasons - these only survive outside the human gut for a few minutes. However it is very difficult to get rid of bacteroides completely and if they were entirely absent then serious bowel pathology would result - such as ulcerative colitis or pseudomembranous colitis. One can greatly increase numbers of bacteroides by feeding them pre-biotics - these are fructo-oligosaccharides found in pulses, vegetables, nuts and seed.
"

She says these are super important. While Meirleir says to keep them under 10%.
I have never been this ill in my life though, but I do not know if it's my limbic system and ANS or that is is because of the endotoxins caused by gram negative bacteria.

Has anyone healed their gut of these gram negative bacteria and actually improved?

I also have no idea what to eat anymore as I have an acidic stomach now, always and my stomach is always bloated. My gums and teeth are now also affected which is painful. I don't know what to do.

Please any advice is welcome.

Attachments

• stool test results.jpg
    stool test results.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 28
  • results.png
    results.png
    336.2 KB · Views: 29

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Actually you need both. I did an experiment after finishing antibiotics where when I made yogurt I only used bacteriodes. It resulted in a big depression increase so I presume that firmicutes make more neurotransmitters. The common knowledge is that firmicutes are bad because they promote inflammation and cause weight gain. I think you need a mix. The firmicutes appear to make more neurotransmitters and the Lacobacillus Acidophillus strain makes the gut acidic which prevents yeast colonization. However, no matter how you colonize it if you eat a high meat diet the firmicutes will predominate. It's also important to alternate high glyfosate with no glyfosate meals to keep them active. Make sure you include a decent amount of indigestible fiber in your diet as this is the main food for bacteriodes.

Last edited:

unicorn7

I had the same overgrowth as you do. High bacteroides and low bifido. Only thing I can say is, I got treated, last time I checked my bacteroides were <10 and I felt better than before. Other inflammation markers went down (prostaglandines) and CD14 (indirect marker for LPS) went down as well.

I think the whole microbiome thing is way more complex than this bacteria is good, this bacteria is bad, you can get too much of a good thing as well.

I had the same overgrowth as you do. High bacteroides and low bifido. Only thing I can say is, I got treated, last time I checked my bacteroides were <10 and I felt better than before. Other inflammation markers went down (prostaglandines) and CD14 (indirect marker for LPS) went down as well.

I think the whole microbiome thing is way more complex than this bacteria is good, this bacteria is bad, you can get too much of a good thing as well.

Thank you. May I ask how you got treated? Antibiotics? I am just so overwhelmed and my gums are super inflamed and I'm super acidic which is not helping.. thank you/

https://www.frontiersin.org/article...general, meat intake appears,disease (54, 66). - The Effects of Vegetarian and Vegan Diets on Gut Microbiota

• Bacteroides have been positively correlated with long-term diets rich in animal protein and saturated fat (20, 27)
  • High proportions of Bacteroides are found in the gut of humans consuming a Western diet and the opposite is found in those consuming a high fiber diet of fruits and legumes (27, 37, 43, 47, 48).

Bacteroides are known to be correlated with a high level of inflammation! Antibiotics raise Bacteroides as well from my research!

I guess someone knew exactly what he said that these diets like paleo, low carb high fat, keto, etc are only good short-term because of the low carb aka low glucose aka low inflammation. Indeed it brings down the inflammation, but unfortunately longer term it alters the gut microbiome, and you will start having problems sooner or later.

Have you seen "Forks over Knives", and "What The Health"? If not, then I would recommend you do so! All the best to you!

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I am just so overwhelmed and my gums are super inflamed and I'm super acidic which is not helping.. thank you/
Bacteroides have been positively correlated with long-term diets rich in animal protein and saturated fat (20, 27)

Decrease animal protein, low glyfosate foods, increase leafy greens, green vegetables. Probiotic enema 1x/day for 2 days. Yogurt.