• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High aldosterone and low ACTH means?

Paralee

I have tried to find this out but I have been at it a long time and maybe I'm not putting the right search words in. Anyway, going downhill and docs don't seem to think anything of it. I think I'm also hyperthyroid because it's growing and used to be atrophied but the FT3 isn't rising very much. Other things, but adrenals and electrolytes are stumping me.
Thanks, Paralee

Paralee

May I add a little more info? The aldosterone has been climbing now way over the top, my cortisol has been dropping and the ACTH is < 5. If anyone knows anything I can find the renin, although the cortisol wasn't run it stays around 4 in the first morning draw. Thanks if you can. Paralee

Gingergrrl

Paralee, Do you have an endocrinologist who is monitoring the blood tests who could help to interpret them for you?

I had very low ACTH and Cortisol like yours (and I had to continue on Cortef and was not able to taper off it as I had hoped). Do you take Cortef (hydrocortisone) or any other steroids? It seems like your ACTH and Cortisol are suppressed. Do you know if your other pituitary hormones are also suppressed? (Like TSH, LH, FSH, etc).

I was not tested for Aldosterone and I am not sure how it relates to ACTH & Cortisol (and I Googled it hoping to find helpful info for you but was left more confused)!

Paralee

Hi @Gingergrrl ! No, no endo, we are kind of low on docs right now. I'm on HC right now because my morn. cortisol stayed right around 4. However, I passed the ACTH test so I don't know. Would love to get off them mainly because I can't get regulated.
I think the Aldosterone has to do with.....heart, hormones, I can't remember right now. It does regulate salt and potassium? All my electrolytes are bouncing around, though. Googling IS confusing with brain fog. Your potassium and salt have to be balanced so you keep them in your blood and let the kidneys let the right amounts to go or stay. Still in kindergarten, I guess. I studied all this stuff but I've been having other probs and I'll have to refresh.
My thyroid's going down, also, and so is my TSH, it's gone backwards. Plus the thyroid threw me for a loop, the report says no nodules, but the TSH is about in hyperthyroid area. How is your thyroid? Everything just seems to relate.