• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HHS Funded Cornell University (Ithaca) Retrospective study?

JohnnyD

I searched and did not find a posting of this (so apologies if it has been posted). Cornell is going to test for XMRV in the 1985 rural New York group and also the "Nevada Cohort" - does this mean the 1984 Incline Village outbreak? Wow.

-----------------
http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=7977530&icde=0

THE RELATIONSHIP OF XMRV TO FUNCTIONAL STATUS AND CO-INFECTIONS IN CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME

"We plan to learn more about the association of XMRV and other pathogens with CFS by examining an outbreak cohort not previously screened for the presence of XMRV. Other viruses, microbes, and parasites that may be associated with XMRV will also be detected with the use of a panmicrobial DNA microarray. We will determine whether the presence of XMRV and/or other pathogens is related to the current state of health of individuals who became ill during a 1985 outbreak in rural New York. Assuming that most members of the New York cohort are infected with XMRV, we will amplify and sequence XMRV envelope genes derived from blood cells of 40 individuals who became ill as children in 1985. We will also sequence envelope genes from 80 subjects in the Nevada cohort known to exhibit a high degree of XMRV infection."

Otis

Señor Mumbler
JohnnyD,

This has been called the 'Hanson' study at times.

Here is one thread on the subject.

I'm sure there are Incline Village patients in that Nevada group, but it could include other more recent patients of Dr. Peterson. I don't have enough info so say one way or the other.

Otis

*GG*

JohnnyD,

This has been called the 'Hanson' study at times.

Here is one thread on the subject.

I'm sure there are Incline Village patients in that Nevada group, but it could include other more recent patients of Dr. Peterson. I don't have enough info so say one way or the other.

Otis

Hey, otis How do you Link the "here" to the thread? I have been wondering how you do that!

GG

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Gg,

Just type the text, in this case 'Here' (I usually bold it first) and then click on the link icon (the globe) and paste in the target link.

Otis

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Gg,

Just type the text, in this case 'Here' (I usually bold it first) and then click on the link icon (the globe) and paste in the target link.

Otis

Min

Chronic fatigue syndrome, an illness that disables many Americans, has recently been associated with the presence of a new human retrovirus. We will investigate whether this retrovirus is both necessary and sufficient for the development of the illness, or whether additional pathogens are involved. We will determine whether the level of health and exercise intolerance in chronic fatigue syndrome is related to particular virus variants, expression of viral proteins, and/or dysfunction of the immune system.

exciting stuff - thanks for posting this