• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HGRV--Antibody Test or Culture or Both?

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I want to get the test done and over with, but I am still confused about which test to get and when the best time to get the test would be. Didn't one researcher state that he or she found the virus in an old blood sample of a CFS patient, but when he took a current sample, it was not there. I can't remember whether it was the antibodies to the virus that disappeared or the virus was no longer found in the blood. Does the antibody test have a higher false negative rate? Would it be better to get the culture, the antibody test or both? Should I wait a few months before I get the antibody test until they have all the kinks worked out? What would you do?

xrayspex

Ok, please correct me if wrong others, but in my limited bio knowledge I thought I had heard something to effect that viral culture the "gold standard" cus it tells you if EVEr exposed, but the serology would be more if antibodies are being picked up currently......
I thought if only one the viral, I started and ended with that one and it told me positive, I would be curious about serology, maybe later

The question remains. In my eyes we should make a *sticky* thread about testing.

What tests should we run, how reliable are they, do they pick up all relevant HGRVs?

I would like more info too. Someone with a science or medical background, please help? I am thinking of waiting for the antibody test. Also, if I don't wait, does a positive culture have more weight than just a positive serology?