• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HGH shots?

Nielk

I'm sure this topic has been mentioned somewhere but, I can't find it.

It's about Human Growth Hormone depletion.

I know that most of us have a problem with sleep, especially the quality of
sleep.
I know that we have a problem with reaching the deep sleep stage and even
when we do, it's for a short time.
It's during deep sleep that our bodies replenish HGH levels.
With chronic lack of deep sleep, I would assume that our bodies are really low in HGH.

I looked up the symptoms of low levels of HGH in adults and it is identical to
many symptoms of CFS.

My question is: did anyone get HGH shots to tackle this problem?
If you did, what was the result?

Thank you,

Gabby

Nielk

I have contacted a nutritionist who told me that the supplements really won't do the job that the pure shots will.
I'm going to contact my doctor to see what he says.
I don't know if he is knowledgeable about it but, I certainly will let you know what I find out.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
HGH shots are the only way to go. There are a lot of "fake" hgh on the market, so beware. HGH cannot be administered orally, transdermally or subq. It is expensive and it is very hard to get insurance to pay for, but can be done.

I have read this and been told this by 2 different doctors. HGH shots will not work very well unless the other major hormones (testosterone, progesterone, estrogens, cortisol, DHT, T4, T3, glucose, insulin and etc...) are at healthy levels. I initially thought that HGH would help the other hormones, but apparently it is the other way around. It is normally released mostly during deep sleep, but only when everything else is in place. Taking a medication for deep sleep will not guarantee HGH release and taking HGH will not guarantee deep sleep.

I'm sure others on here can get into deeper detail. There are more HGH advertisements, on the internet, than just about anything else and some of it will be advertised by popular and respected doctors. Remember though, that they are ALL getting paid to make these claims.

Lynn

I took Human Growth Hormone shots for two years under prescription from Dr. Cheney. Although I do credit them for helping me to dig out and become more functional, I would caution anyone who is thinking about HGH. Growth Hormone can also help cancer cells grow and flourish. Until we know more about XMRV and cancer, I am staying away from it for now.

Lynn

Crappy

Lynn
I have seen some great signatures in here, but yours is stupendous! Chicken philosophy, that's great.
Thanks for the smile.

Lynn

Hi Crappy,

I'm glad it brought a chuckle. Something about the chickens motives being questioned made me think of what we have gone through with this illness.

I like your signature as well.

Lynn

Nielk

I took Human Growth Hormone shots for two years under prescription from Dr. Cheney. Although I do credit them for helping me to dig out and become more functional, I would caution anyone who is thinking about HGH. Growth Hormone can also help cancer cells grow and flourish. Until we know more about XMRV and cancer, I am staying away from it for now.

Lynn

I hear and appreciate what you are saying.
To be cautious.
Yet, I would like to know, when you took it for two years, did you feel an improvement in your health?

Thanks,
Gabby

Nielk

I e-mailed my doctor to ask him about HGH.
Below is his answer

here is my answer (save your money send it to charity)

Growth Hormone Schemes and Scams, 24/6/2009
Human growth hormone (HGH) is a substance secreted by the pituitary gland that promotes growth during childhood and adolescence. Growth hormone acts on the liver and other tissues to stimulate production of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I), which is responsible for the growth-promoting effects of growth hormone and also reflects the amount produced. Blood levels of circulating IGF-I tend to decrease as people age or become obese . Many marketers would like you to believe that boosting HGH blood levels can reduce body fat; build muscle; improve sex life, sleep quality, vision and memory; restore hair growth and color; strengthen the immune system; normalize blood sugar; increase energy; and "turn back your body's biological clock." This article traces the history of these claims and why you should disregard them.
Soon after the book's publication, many amino acid products were claimed to cause overnight weight loss by increasing the release of growth hormone. So called "growth-hormone releasers" were also marketed to bodybuilders with claims that they would help build muscle. Such claims are unfounded because amino acids taken by mouth do not stimulate growth hormone release. These formulations are based mainly on misinterpreted studies of intravenous arginine, which can increase HGH blood levels for an hour or so. Taking it by mouth has no such effect. The FTC , and the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs attacked some companies making "growth-hormone release" claims, but these actions had very little effect on the overall marketplace.

In 1990, The New England Journal of Medicine published a study that attracted mainstream media attention. The study involved 12 men, aged 61 to 81, who were apparently healthy but had IGF-I levels below those found in normal young men. The 12 men were given growth hormone injections three times a week for six months and compared with 9 men who received no treatment. The treatment resulted in a decrease in adipose (fatty) tissue and increases in lean body (muscle) mass and lumbar spine density . An accompanying editorial warned that some of the subjects had experienced side effects and that the long-range effects of administering HGH to healthy adults were unknown. It also warned that the hormone shots were expensive and that the study had not examined whether the men who received the hormone had substantially improved their muscle strength, mobility, or quality of life .

The 1990 article also helped stimulate formation of the American Association for Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M) and the unrecognized medical specialty of "anti-aging medicine." The group, founded in 1993. states that it has 11,500 members, of whom 80% are medical or osteopathic physicians . Many exhibitors at its conferences have made questionable claims for HGH-related products.

The Internet has added another dimension to the HGH marketplace. Thousands of Web sites and spam e-mailers are hawking the actual hormone; alleged HGH releasers; alleged oral hormone products (which can't work because any HGH would be digested); and/or "homeopathic HGH" products.

HGH is useful for treating growth hormone deficiency in children and adults and has several other proven (FDA-approved) uses . But the the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists has warned that the clinical use of growth hormone as an anti-aging treatment or for patients with ordinary obesity is not recommended .

Citing several studies of HGH injections in which side effects were significant , Vance concluded:

In January 2003, the FDA sent a warning letter to Be Youthful, of Edmonton, Canada, objecting to claims that their Be Youthful HGH product was effective against depression, chronic fatigue, high blood prsessure, and high cholesterol levels .

In April 2003, Nature's Youth, LLC, of Centerville, Massachusetts, voluntarily destroyed approximately 5,700 boxes of "Nature's Youth HGH" with a market value of about $515,000. The destruction took place after the FDA notified the company that claims made for the product were unsubstantiated and therefore illegal. The company had claimed that the product, which it described as a growth-hormone releaser, would enhance the body's natural production of Human Growth Factors and Insulin-like Growth Factor-1; improve physical performance; speed recovery from training; increase cardiac output; and increase immune functions; and was "your body's best defense against aging." .When asked for substantiation, the company cited Rudman's 1990 report, which, as noted above, does not support such claims. The product's leading promoter has been G. Gordon Liddy, the former Watergate conspirator who served five years in prison and now hosts a talk show syndicated to 160 radio stations. In 2002, Nature's Youth's Web site carried a testimonial from Liddy:

I am often asked my secret for remaining virile, vigorous, potent and fecund. The secret is that, in addition to not smoking or drinking alcohol, exercising and following a diet low in calories, fat and red meat and high in fish, I have for some time been taking a Human Growth Hormone Releasant specially formulated for me and heretofore not available to the public. Now, under the brand name Nature's Youth HGH, the exact formula I have been using is available to you. My secret is out. Nature's Youth HGH is how I stay "Good to Go and Ready to Launch!

In 2005, Edmund Chein, M.D., who operates the Palm Springs Life Extension Institute (PSLEI) in Palm Springs, California, was placed on five years' probation during which he must (a) pay $10,000 to the State of California for costs, (b) take courses in ethics, prescribing practices, and recordkeeping, (c) refrain from making unsubstantiated advertising claims, and (d) either have his practice monitored or participate in an intensive professional enhancement program. The clinic's Web site states that PSLEI specializes in "optimized total hormone balancing by returning hormone levels to values consistent with a younger person." The grounds for discipline included inappropriately and negligently prescribing HGH plus insulin to a patient who was neither deficient nor diabetic .

In 2007, the College Pharmacy, of Colorado Springs, Colorado, its owner (pharmacist Thomas Bader), a sales representative (Kevin Henry), and a sales representative (Bradley Blum) from a company in Houston, Texas, were indicted by a federal grand jury for illegally importing and distributing HGHfrom China. The indictment charged that the defendants obtained Chinese-manufactured HGH that lacked FDA approval and repackaged and sold it to physicians throughout the United States. In response to the indictment, the Colorado Board of Pharmacy revoked Bader's license . Blum subsequently pleaded guilty and was fined $10,000 and placed on 2 years probation. In 2008, the U.S. Government and the pharmacy owners reached a civil agreement under which $3.5 million (representing the proceeds from illegal importation and sale of HGH) was forfeited . For many years, the College Pharmacy catalog identified it as "one of the largest, most comprehensive compounding centers in North America." In 2005, it was fined $50,000 and placed on probation following complaints that its pharmacists had incorrectly dispensed medication.

In 2009, Sean Shafer and The Compounding Center, Inc.,of Phoenix, Arizona were charged with illegally distributing HGH. The indictment alleged that the company's Web site touted impermissible uses of HGH for "anti-aging" purposes and that from 2001 through 2006, nine doctors made more than 400 purchases totaling more than $1.1 million. Rge indictment also states that Shafer, in his capacity as the manager of the wholesale department of the Compounding Center, also sold a number of HGH kits to two undercover operatives who specifically told him that the purchases were for bodybuilders and athletes .

Although growth hormone levels decline with age, it has not been proven that trying to maintain the levels that exist in young persons is beneficial. Considering the high cost, significant side effects, and lack of proven effectiveness, HGH shots appear to be a very poor investment. So called "growth-hormone releasers," oral "growth hormone," and "homeopathic HGH" products are fakes.

American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists Medical Guidelines for Clinical Practice for growth hormone use in adults and children2003 update. Endocrine Practice 9-65-76, 2003.

Regulatory Actions against Michael Teplitsky, M.D., 13/6/2005
According to the FTC, the defendants advertising deceptively claimed that the dietary supplements Ultimate HGH and Super HGH Booster and homeopathic sublingual sprays called Master HGH and Super HGH will (a) significantly increase growth hormone levels, (b) provide the benefits purportedly shown in various studies involving prescription-only HGH injections, (c) reduce fat, cholesterol, and blood pressure (d) increase muscle mass, and (e) improved cognitive, immune, and sexual function. The FTCs complaint also challenged deceptive claims that Fat Blaster and Super Carbo Blocker cause weight loss by suppressing appetite, reducing the conversion of carbohydrates to fats, and enhancing metabolism; and that Ultimate Wild Oregano Oil and Super Wild Oregano Oil prevent colds and flu and, when taken orally, treat and relieve bacterial and viral infections and their symptoms. The complaint further alleged that defendants falsely represented that radio and television infomercials for their products were independent shows when, in fact, they were paid-for commercials. In addition, the defendants violated the Telemarketing Sales Rule (TSR) by failing to obtain informed consent to charge consumers credit cards for additional products after a first telemarketing sale was completed. The alleged HGH enhancers typically sold for $100 for a three-month supply, with total sales exceeding $70 million.
In 2004, the Electronic Retailing Self-Regulation Program asked PCI to substantiate core claims in its infomercial for Super Prostate Formula, but the company had declined to do so . Ironically, despite the fact that New York State disciplined Teplitsky for inappropriately prescribing HGH, several Web sites that market PCI's Super HGH still claim that Teplitsky "has not only developed all of the nutritional formulas on this site, but he and his patients have been using them for years with astounding results!"

Be Wary of Health-Related Infomercials, 10/9/2009
Ultimate HGH
Ultimate HGH, which is marketed by Great American Products, was promoted with claims that it can "turn back the clock 20 to 30 years," build muscle, increase memory retention, increase "cardio output," cause people to reduce weight, increase energy, improve vision, enhance immune function, and lower cholesterol. Claims of this type have been stimulated by a study published in 1990 in the New England Journal of Medicine

which showed certain changes in elderly men given injections of human growth hormone (HGH). However, the article has no real relevance because the product contains no hormone or any ingredient that can increase the body's HGH. Even if it could, taking the product would not be a good idea because HGH can produce serious adverse effects. The company's research director, who was interviewed during the infomercial, advised everyone after the age of 30 to use the product. My advice is that nobody should use it because the infomercial was a total fraud.

that's interesting about hgh almost all the smyptoms are indistinguishable! So you have to correct all hormones in order for hgh to work...

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
that's interesting about hgh almost all the smyptoms are indistinguishable! So you have to correct all hormones in order for hgh to work...
Im in the process of trying to sort out all my hormones and have them all in the right ranges. Pregnenolone is the main hormone your body uses to make most other hormones, so it back fills those hormones that are low, especially dhea, cortisol, progesterone, testosterone and estrogen. Should get Test results back next week so what hasnt been correct we then supplement with. Im already feeling better with it, but would love to try GH but the price would be out of my league, i think if i can correct my sleep then GH wont be an issue. Correcting the other hormones is alot cheaper though.

Lynn

I hear and appreciate what you are saying.
To be cautious.
Yet, I would like to know, when you took it for two years, did you feel an improvement in your health?

Thanks,
Gabby

Yes, I would say that it did help me quite a bit (very circumstantial evidence). I was able to function much better after taking HGH but it didn't get me back to work. But I maintained that plateau for quite a few years until I tried LDN and my symptoms worsened. I tested XMRV positive soon after stopping the LDN. If it were not for the cancer scare, I would probably try it again. It is very expensive though and my insurance would not cover it.

Lynn

Lynn

Michael Dessin

HGH shots are great for the healing process once the immune system is functioning properly..not advisable to do before hand.

Nielk

Yes, I would say that it did help me quite a bit (very circumstantial evidence). I was able to function much better after taking HGH but it didn't get me back to work. But I maintained that plateau for quite a few years until I tried LDN and my symptoms worsened. I tested XMRV positive soon after stopping the LDN. If it were not for the cancer scare, I would probably try it again. It is very expensive though and my insurance would not cover it.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn for your reply. I agree with you both with the cancer scare and the financial problem.

Nielk

Michael Dessin

Nielk....Yes I do have experience...I was advised not to take it until my immune function was corrected...I then took it for several months to help heal damage sustained when sick...as well as gain muscle mass back.

Nielk

@Nielk....Yes I do have experience...I was advised not to take it until my immune function was corrected...I then took it for several months to help heal damage sustained when sick...as well as gain muscle mass back.

Thank you Michael.

Thanks for the warning.
I guess while our immune system is weak, many drugs, supplements.., can have a real adverse effect on us.
The problem is that that's the time we need it the most.
The most important thing though is not to do more harm to our frail bodies.

Glad you are feeling better.

Nielk

Michael Dessin

@Neilk..Thank You...Really the important thing is to understand that our bodies function differently the normal people...so supplements that are supposed to be good for the general population can have adverse affect on us.

undcvr

I am thinking about about asking my doctor for Andro patches. The kind they give to hiv patients. I have been thinking that it is about time I could start this therapy since I am almost functional again or will be in about a month.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I posted a thread on mestinon, its a cheap drug that can help increase growth hormone secretion, not getting any replies to it, its suppose to have been used for fibro, anyone know much about it.

As for andro patches, get tested first, lots of variables concerning testosterone levels ie free testosterone levels and even estrogen levels being to high have an impact on testosterone levels, just controlling estrogen can sometimes give u what u are looking for, plus the down stream hormones like dhea, cortisol, pregnenolone, they all impact each other when one is added, definately need a good doc to work with for hormone modulation. as for patches, they arent very popular, injections seem to be the most effective along with compounded testosterone creams.