• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Herxheimer on Valcyte? (CMV Infection)

Hey there,

i have some questions about my recently started cmv treatment with valcyte. 3 weeks ago, i was tested highly positive for an active CMV. Since 2 weeks I'm on valcyte, with little breaks (because of herx?). I upped my dose too quick i think and crashed hard on day 6, took a little break and started again. Actually, after 2 weeks, I try to take valcyte as followed: 1.day 2x1, 2.day 2x1, 3.day 1x1, start at day 1 again etc. Since tuesday, I'm feeling pretty bad again, but not like normal, i have strange symptoms like:

- cold extremities
- sweating hands
- VERY VERY tired even when i slept 10 hours.. im awake 2 hours, eat something and i began to feel REALLY tired.. have to go to bed (havent experience such fatigue all the years I've been sick)
- blurred vision / irrated eyes (I went to an eye-doc last week, all things fine, just have "dry eyes")
- feeling like have the flu
- more foggy
- low appetite
- when i have really bad hours, i have to urinate very often, at this time, i have some nausea too but without vomiting (it feels like my body is full of toxins and i have to release them)
- in the moring, i feel like a truck hit me, its getting better in the afternoon
- fast heartbeat when i have done some little efforts

Today, i felt bad too, but i had to go to the hospital to check my blood. (my girlfriends mom works there, she checks my blood regluary when i have to)
Results: All things FINE! My leukocytes even rised, my lymphocytes also. thrombos rised too. i was quite on the lowest borderline with the leukocytes 3-4 weeks ago (about 4nl of 4-10nl). now they rise somewhere until the middle (5.7nl of 4-10nl).

Just 1 liver-parameter, i think it was GTP was a little bit over the max. borderline, the others were good.

what do you think about that?

Greetz

Butydoc

Hey there,

i have some questions about my recently started cmv treatment with valcyte. 3 weeks ago, i was tested highly positive for an active CMV. Since 2 weeks I'm on valcyte, with little breaks (because of herx?). I upped my dose too quick i think and crashed hard on day 6, took a little break and started again. Actually, after 2 weeks, I try to take valcyte as followed: 1.day 2x1, 2.day 2x1, 3.day 1x1, start at day 1 again etc. Since tuesday, I'm feeling pretty bad again, but not like normal, i have strange symptoms like:

- cold extremities
- sweating hands
- VERY VERY tired even when i slept 10 hours.. im awake 2 hours, eat something and i began to feel REALLY tired.. have to go to bed (havent experience such fatigue all the years I've been sick)
- blurred vision / irrated eyes (I went to an eye-doc last week, all things fine, just have "dry eyes")
- feeling like have the flu
- more foggy
- low appetite
- when i have really bad hours, i have to urinate very often, at this time, i have some nausea too but without vomiting (it feels like my body is full of toxins and i have to release them)
- in the moring, i feel like a truck hit me, its getting better in the afternoon
- fast heartbeat when i have done some little efforts

Today, i felt bad too, but i had to go to the hospital to check my blood. (my girlfriends mom works there, she checks my blood regluary when i have to)
Results: All things FINE! My leukocytes even rised, my lymphocytes also. thrombos rised too. i was quite on the lowest borderline with the leukocytes 3-4 weeks ago (about 4nl of 4-10nl). now they rise somewhere until the middle (5.7nl of 4-10nl).

Just 1 liver-parameter, i think it was GTP was a little bit over the max. borderline, the others were good.

what do you think about that?

Greetz
Hi Greetz,

I'm on my 7th week of Valcyte. This is my second round of Valcyte since 2007 to treat a viral reactivation. The first time around I used the Montoya protocol (1800mg daily for three weeks then 900 mg per day). I was feeling like you described for 7 months on the dosage schedule. Dr. Montoya now believes this was too high a starting dose and has started me on 1/2 pill (225 mg) a day for 3 to four weeks then increase the dose the same amount until I reach 900 mg per day. He does believe I suffered a herxheimer type of reaction the first around. Presently I'm tolerating this round much better.

Gary