• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Here’s an interesting result from my experience with common EBV treatments

Here’s a potentially interesting bit of info from my experience with treating EBV involving mental health/inflammation

I’m 90% certain that extreme stress and anxiety reactivated my EBV. This reactivation led to CFS and a bunch of neurological problems. I went from extremely anxious all the time to feeling virtually no emotion, which is believe can be a side effect from the chronic inflammation EBV causes. Pure emotional flatness. Can’t cry no matter what I do.

So, I’ve noticed that I feel much less emotionally flat with certain EBV treatments, possibly due to a reduction in neuroinflammation. Maybe it was my sinus inflammation seeping into my brain. No clue if there’s any science behind that it’s just how it feels I guess.

I’d say my ability to feel emotions is improved by at least 50% on all of these treatments. Anxiety and depression but also positive emotions such as excitement, happiness, music sounds good, I’m more motivated, etc . Still can’t cry much, though

Oil of oregano for a few days causes this for me

As does high doses of monolaurin for a few weeks. Still not 100% certain if this is a direct effect from EBV suppression/ immune boosting or if because monolaurin has neurotransmitter modulating effects

My most recent treatment to cause this was increasing my daily Valtrex dose from 1 gram every 8 hours to 1 gram every 6 hours, so 3 grams a day to 4 grams a day. Which is interesting because its main mechanism of action is obviously viral suppression and apparently has a minuscule effect on neurotransmitters

My sinuses are much less inflamed and I’m feeling my emotions again just like with monolaurin and oil of oregano.

I wasn’t convinced that those two supplements were doing much for me EBV wise and may just modulate neurotransmitters but now I’m leaning towards the benefits being from viral suppression. I can’t say a lot of my other symptoms have improved but I can say for a fact that I have less sinus inflammation and I’m much much much more emotional. I can actually process things like a normal person, for now

Note: I got significantly more emotionally flat two years ago when I tried coming off of Valtrex and flared up with mono-like symptoms like I usually do. I was able to cry a bit before this and now I pretty much can’t. This also made my typical CFS symptoms much worse.

Anyone with a similar experience ?

hapl808

Hmm, not sure. I'm not an emotionally flat person - yet I realize I learned to flatten my emotion over the years because of how much enthusiasm crashes me. Now that I'm more severe, one phone call where I allow myself to be really engaged will crash me for days.

Allicin helps me a bit, as do a few other antiviral type things - andrographis, etc. Monolaurin doesn't seem to do much, although I've tried it a lot. Oil of oregano is okay - more gut benefits for me.

However, none of these things do much. I still will crash for days from one energetic phone call, or working on the computer on an engrossing task, etc.

Back