• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hemi-sync for Deep Relaxation

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
DreamBirdie turned me onto these audio CD's from the Monroe Institute. I haven't tried them yet but the idea of these specific audio sounds enabling me to achieve a more relaxed, healthful state is deeply interesting.

Some researchers do think that 'information transport' is impeded in our brains. I wonder if this could help. I would think it could help in enabling a more relaxed state before sleep and better sleep overall.

Holosync appears to attempt to do a similar thing (?)

Researchers learned specific sounds could be blended and sequenced to gently lead the brain to various states ranging from deep relaxation or sleep to expanded states of awareness and other “extraordinary” states. This compelling research became the foundation of a noninvasive and easy-to-use audio-guidance technology known as Hemi-Sync.

The audio-guidance process works through the generation of complex, multilayered audio signals, which act together to create a resonance that is reflected in unique brain wave forms characteristic of specific states of consciousness. The result is a focused, whole-brain state known as hemispheric synchronization, or Hemi-Sync, where the left and right hemispheres are working together in a state of coherence. Different Hemi-Sync signals are used to facilitate deep relaxation, focused attention or other desired states. As an analogy, lasers produce focused, coherent light. Hemi-Sync produces a focused, coherent mind, which is an optimal condition for improving human performance.

One of the leading researchers into brain wave synchrony, Dr. Lester Fehmi, of the Princeton Biofeedback Research Institute, points out that “Synchrony represents the maximum efficiency of information transport through the whole brain.” This means that brain wave synchrony produces a sharp increase in the effects of various brain wave states. The production of synchronized, coherent electromagnetic energy by the human brain at a given frequency leads to a ‘laser-like’ condition increasing the amplitude and strength of the brain waves. It’s evident that a “highly integrated brain,” a brain, in which both hemispheres are functioning in symmetry, synchrony, harmony and unity, is a key to peak states and peak human performance.

Specific combinations of Hemi-Sync signals, for example, can help individuals achieve laser-like focus and concentration. Depending on the intended goals, music, verbal guidance or subtle sound effects are combined with Hemi-Sync to strengthen its effectiveness. Naturally, Hemi-Sync sleep products incorporate predominately Delta frequencies; learning products predominantly Beta, and so forth. Users remain in total control as these recordings do not contain subliminal messages. Hemispheric synchronization does occur naturally in daily life, but typically only for random, brief periods of time. Hemi-Sync can assist individuals in achieving and sustaining this highly productive, coherent, brain wave state.

http://www.monroeinstitute.org/hemi-sync/about/

jenbooks

I've used these for years. I actually went to the Monroe Institute for a training week. When I was using them regularly I was able to generate what is known as the "awakened mind" state as evidenced on a Mind Mirror--one usually seen in experienced meditators.

I still use them all the time, because I live over a schoolyard and sometimes it's unbearable. I lay down and put on Sleeping Through the Rain or Midsummer Night. They do take you down into deep relaxation and back up. The binaural beats really do work. They essentially help your brain generate alpha, theta and/or delta by putting slightly different beats in each year. If one is 100 hz and the other 107 hz your brain will notice and generate the difference of 7 hz. Though this can't force you into alpha, it can help. In addition the musical choices are wide ranging, most of them new agey and pleasant.

Edit: I read the other thread and I should say though I listened to the 'instructional' ones at the Institute that week, I choose just the music ones. I don't actually like being guided, just like to flow into a state.