• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with understanding Estronex test results

sianrecovery

Hi Guys

My ME doc suggested I did an estronex test to look at my body's use of oestrogen, as I have a strong family history of breast cancer, and am waiting from the test for the BRCA gene. I am 49, perimenopausal, and my symptoms worsen greatly in the days prior to a period. I had been taking DHEA, but stopped that after a very high lab for oestrogens, and my brother's diagnosis with bilateral breast cancer.
As a result of the estronex test, I started taking DIM, and went back and restarted Rich's methylation protocol - which has helped my symptoms greatly. I wondered if anyone had any other feedback?

Am attaching doc.

Thanks in advance for being there,

Sian

Attachments

• estronix rep.pdf
    792 KB · Views: 32

LaurieL

Hi Sian,

I clicked on the attachment, but it only loads a blank page??

Okay.....I am on my way to the computer parts store. I am on a mission to upgrade.......if you all can see this file, and I cannot, then it is my computer. Causing me a lot of problems lately, esp. with PDF's.

Ema

Hi Guys

My ME doc suggested I did an estronex test to look at my body's use of oestrogen, as I have a strong family history of breast cancer, and am waiting from the test for the BRCA gene. I am 49, perimenopausal, and my symptoms worsen greatly in the days prior to a period. I had been taking DHEA, but stopped that after a very high lab for oestrogens, and my brother's diagnosis with bilateral breast cancer.
As a result of the estronex test, I started taking DIM, and went back and restarted Rich's methylation protocol - which has helped my symptoms greatly. I wondered if anyone had any other feedback?

Am attaching doc.

Thanks in advance for being there,

Sian
I just wanted to let you know that I can see the report.

I am not overly familiar with this testing (which means that I've never seen it before right this minute!) but have a couple of general comments.

I see an article online where they compare the types of estrogen tested to good and bad cholesterol...I've done a lot of listening on the topic of cholesterol recently and things are never so simple as "good" or "bad". Whenever things are compared this simplistically, I become suspicious.

I'm also suspicious because the "expert" goes on to say that the biggest way to influence your estrogen ratio is through diet. If this is true, why not skip the somewhat costly test and just eat the healthy diet?

DHEA does convert to estrogen in many, many women. I think that it was wise to stop it if you were getting high estrogen from it.

Do you have symptoms of estrogen dominance in general? I like DIM as a supplement quite a lot. I think it, along with calcium d-glucarate, works great for estrogen dominance.

I think you are wise to keep an eye on your sex hormones due to your risk factors. Did you do the BRCA testing already and are waiting for the results or waiting to do the test in general?

Ema

sianrecovery

Hi Ema

In order to get the BRCA test via our health service, I have to have 'genetic counselling' first; my appointment is in a couple of weeks. Whether or not I have BRCA, due to the prevalence of cancer in my family, I would suspect the presence of some tumour suppressor abnormality. I have a better idea now of just how variable a process this can be. Thanks for your response - I definitely had pretty hideous symptoms of estrogen dominance, and did a while on progesterone as a result, but my ME doc says she thinks that's immune-suppressive, so I guess I wont go back to that. The methylation protocol has helped enormously. I am unfamiliar with calcium d-glucarate - but will check it out. I have a genetic abnormality which means I do not process calcium normally - my kidneys, eyes, shoulder joint are all calcifying, and my bones are demineralising, so in general, I now avoid all calcium supplements - but perhaps I can find what you mentioned in a different form.

Thanks once again for being such an invaluable help :thumbsup:

Ema

I wonder if progesterone is immunosuppressive at "normal" doses or if they are talking about the high levels such as found in pregnancy? Of course, that would be understandable because the pregnant woman needs some amount of immunosuppression in order not to reject the fetus. I can't really find any studies using bioidentical progesterone or specifying the doses clearly in my cursory search.

But I wonder if it is like Vitamin D in that both too much and too little are not good for immune function. It's interesting how so many of these things all come back to the same places - it's always amazing to me how interrelated all these hormones are.

Ema

PDXhausted

Hi Sian-

I recently did the Estronex profile as well, so I'm familiar with it, but not an expert at interpreting it. But yes- it looks like your estrogen is high overall, so it seems like you're doing all the right things. Did you do 23andme as well? If so, I'd be curious to know your SNPs along the estrogen metabolism pathway.

I've been experimenting with DIM as well after getting my results, and have noticed a difference-- I notice what I believe to be an effect to my dopamine levels (I was thinking about posting this in a separate post), so I am hypothesizing that more estrogen is getting metabolized through COMT when I take the DIM. It also seems to help with my CFS symptoms; I have a similar situation where my symptoms are much worse prior to my period, and also prior to ovulation. This area is really interesting to me so definitely keep us posted with how you do during your cycle.

Also-- do you take the DIM in the morning? I believe estrogen peaks in the morning so I'm thinking it would be most beneficial to take the DIM at that time, but I'm not sure if that's true. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed a difference with timing.

sianrecovery

Thank you, that's perfect! My only sorrow is that I see in the test result guide they recommend taking out/reducing coffee - which I should do, but which seems in tandem with d ribose to kickstart my mito's in a way nothing else does. I am attaching a copy of my Yasko results, in case anyone wants to comment.

Attachments

• actual results.pdf
    273.6 KB · Views: 13