• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help with ANXIETY issues please

coxy

Hi, i'm suffering with Anxiety at the moment and wondered if any of you have tried any natural things(i.e non prescription) that have really helped to calm you down? It causes me to have bad tummy pains (knotted type of feeling), it's keeping me awake at night, plus i get quite shaky and jittery.

We are going on holiday to Florida at the end of next week, i think that might be contributing to my anxiety, as i'm starting to worry about how we are all going to cope with the busy days! We are taking my parents and sister for extra support, and the children are obviously really looking forward to it.
We've had to cancel the holiday twice in the past due to firstly my daughter getting ME/CFS and then due to me being unable to fly due to problems in my pregnancy (before my me/cfs). So we are going for it no matter what!!

If no one can come up with any suggestions i will definately need something from the doctor.

hope you can help.

Countrygirl

=coxy;57225]Hi, i'm suffering with Anxiety at the moment and wondered if any of you have tried any natural things(i.e non prescription) that have really helped to calm you down? It causes me to have bad tummy pains (knotted type of feeling), it's keeping me awake at night, plus i get quite shaky and jittery.

We are going on holiday to Florida at the end of next week, i think that might be contributing to my anxiety, as i'm starting to worry about how we are all going to cope with the busy days! We are taking my parents and sister for extra support, and the children are obviously really looking forward to it.
We've had to cancel the holiday twice in the past due to firstly my daughter getting ME/CFS and then due to me being unable to fly due to problems in my pregnancy (before my me/cfs). So we are going for it no matter what!!

Hello Coxy :Retro smile:
Florida!! I' m:Green hat: with envy. I do hope you will have a wonderful time.

Now, I don't know if this will help, but I have found that baclofen is a marvellous medication in that - when I take it - it knocks me out at night (I've near-total insomnia) and the following day I feel very rested, although a little :Retro tongue::Retro tongue:., - it is worth it! I would imagine that it would relieve the anxiety, too. I take it when it is really important to be able to function. Baclofen has just enabled me to have a few days break and to survive any severe relapse because it gives restorative sleep.

I have discovered, however, that it only works when I combine it with a certain magical ingredient that is a bit of a problem with ME - a little alcohol!:eek::eek: Ginger wine is fine, or a little brandy. Baclofen and my magic ingredient has been the most helpful concoction that I've ever found.

Enjoy your trip, Coxy.

girlinthesnow

Hi Coxy,

Have you had your thyroid hormone levels checked ? Both hypo and hyper-thyroidism can cause anxiety and panic attacks. Lots of people with CFS/ME develop thyroid problems.

Hope you have have a wonderful, calm and peaceful time.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
When my adrenals are shot, from stress of any kind, I tend to feel very anxious. I take adaptogens for this--like Siberian Ginseng, Ashwaghanda or Schizandra--my favorite. In my case BOOSTING my adrenals actually helps calm me more than sedative herbs.

Also magnesium is great--Peter Gillam's Natural Calm (powder that you mix with hot H20) is very effective for a hit of relaxation.
I buy it from iherb. http://www.iherb.com/Peter-Gillham-...al-Calm-Organic-Sweet-Lemon-Flavor-8-oz/21268

kat0465

theres a supplement called suntheanine, it has a calming effect. i have used it from time to time & it really works well
Kat

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
The best I have found is a product from an Australian company called MediHerb. The product is Nevaton, a mix of St.John's, Schizandra, Damiana and Skullcap. Those four herbs together are good for anxiety, but this company has such incredible extraction methods, when you open the bottle it smells like the fresh plant hits you right in the nose. It's hard to get unless you have a naturopath prescribe it though.

Suntheanine is also really good. If you ever find a good cup of tea calms you down, then you might find Theanine helpful. It is the ingredient in tea that relaxes you. Good quality green tea has lots in it.

Hope you find something that helps.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
At the risk of sounding psychobabble-like:

It helps me to remember that I don't ever do the whole thing all at once. If I break it up into doable pieces, then I have less anxiety about whatever it is I am attempting. Getting prepared to go has many steps, so you can start by breaking that up into doable parts. Getting on the plane and flying is its own thing and can be dealt with at that time. No need to worry about not having enough energy for activities once you get there until you are there. For me, preparation is key I do everything I can to plan around what my actual needs are for food and rest, over-stimulation, etc. And then one step at a time, one activity at a time, one day at a time.

It helps me. That's all I'm saying.

Adam

At the risk of sounding psychobabble-like:

It helps me to remember that I don't ever do the whole thing all at once. If I break it up into doable pieces, then I have less anxiety about whatever it is I am attempting. Getting prepared to go has many steps, so you can start by breaking that up into doable parts. Getting on the plane and flying is its own thing and can be dealt with at that time. No need to worry about not having enough energy for activities once you get there until you are there. For me, preparation is key — I do everything I can to plan around what my actual needs are for food and rest, over-stimulation, etc. And then one step at a time, one activity at a time, one day at a time.

It helps me. That's all I'm saying.

I think this is sound advice. One day at a time. Or even sometimes, morning things to do followed by afternoon things to do. Over the past 10 years at home I have learned to live this way, so much so that there are no tomorrows for me anymore. I have no anxiety. Today is today. Tomorrow hasn't come yet. And when it does it will be today.

take care and enjoy your holiday

Adam

coxy

Thankyou everybody for all your help and ideas. I agree Adam that tomorrows are no more. i've got so fed up and sometimes embarassed at having to cancel things, i just don't book anything in advance anymore! Only trouble is with the sort of holiday we are about to attempt requires a fair deal of planning for the rest of our extended families benefit, whether some of us manage it all remains to be seen, i really hope so though. None of us are the types to give in to a wheel chair unfortunately, i know we'd be much more likely to be able to do more if we did, & believe me it's been suggested by other members of our family. I'm taking medical evidence for all 3 ME'ers just incase!