• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help keep CFS in the NYTimes

andreamarie

Many of the articles, like the Nancy Klimas consults on Nov 24, give the opportunity to email a response. It is crucial that we all respond by email every time there is an opportunity. If you have access to more than one computer, do it on each one.

I am in a crash so I might not explain this properly.

I worked for the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation when they were interested in media placement. Initially, media laughed at me. But I had breakthroughs.Trust me, no one wanted to write about bowel diseases.
Persistence paid off because success in the media is what fuels the media. My first big article in the Worcester Gazette jammed their switchboard. They were easy after that; they didn't laugh. The C&C Foundation stopped doing press when I had to quit fifteen years ago. Maybe they don't need to; they've found three genetic markers for Crohn's since.

The Times lists MOST EMAILED every day. They also take note of responses. Do you think that media cares more about an article that gets six responses as opposed to six hundred.

So log onto the newyorktimes.com. It's free if you have to register. If we have an angel, the angel needs help. The Boston Globe had a CFS angel but the articles stopped because of lack of support from readers.

Let's get that recent column to two hundred. Dr. Klimas deserves it and we need it.

It would be good if someone could reveal how CDC research was diverted.

If you are unable to type, etc. and have a friend or family member who can that is very effective also.

Sorry if I sound short, but I'm in bad shape today. As soon as I can I'll come back here.

Thanks!

Marylib

Kim?

Kim can you help with links so as to make it more likely we flood the NYTimes with encouragement?
You may not feel up to it -- don't want you to feel pressured.:)

andreamarie

Thanks for the link. The moderater can be slow on wknds and holidays.

I've also emailed all NYT's articles on CFS to two of my docs who are really interested in CFS. One thanked me repeatedly and said he reads the NYT but still misses stuff.

I get Google Alert for CFS and the only papers still carrying anything are one in CA and one in Nevada, where it's "local" news and I suspect the Whittemore's have some clout.

K

_Kim_

Thanks for the link. The moderater can be slow on wknds and holidays.

Hi andreamarie,

Marylib asked if I would put up the link, but The Phantom got it up before I saw the message (thanks Phantom). You mentioned moderators. Did you know that there are only four moderators/administrators on this forum (Cort, Aftermath, Jody, and ChronicallyFatigued)? The rest of us just try to help out to make the communication flow a little smoother. If you ever need help with making a link or any other aspect of posting, please send me a private message and I'll be happy to oblige.

Hope you are feeling a little better today.

Cheers,
Kim

Sing

I sent in a comment to the Klimas interview comment section, addressing the other comments which show some of what we are up against. Thanks, Andreamarie, for keeping the NYTimes in our sights here. (I am thinking of rifle sights.)

Cecelia

andreamarie

Cecelia: Thanks, that was brilliant. Feel free to make more than one comment. We're up to seventy; we need more.( Now I think I'll jump in an ice cold bath and eat salt with my Vit D.) Cures suggested by some who've commented.

andreamarie

We're only up to seventy nine questions for Dr.Klimas. Not enough for her to be asked back again. I've changed my name and kept the same email and four have been accepted so we don't have to quit at one. Thanks to everyone who's submitted a comment. An article on food stamps in last Sunday's Times got five hundred comments, if that's anything to compare it to.