• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help finding a vitamin c source I can tolerate

xena

Hi all, I'm finding supplemental vitamin C really helpful for herx symptoms (depression) but almost every kind i've tried seems to inflame my gut (citric, calcium ascorbate, even camu camu tastes vile)... any ideas?

sunshine44

Que sera sera
I do mary ruth's liquid vitamin c, transdermally though. My lips and throat used to swell at any vit. c i tried...just even drops on my tummy...but i do well with this. Its whole food acerola. I know Patch MD makes a vitamin C patch but i do not think its whole food.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I use Ecological Formulas Tapioca C. It's corn free. They have it in capsules or just the powder. I buy just the powder. Also one listing on Amazon says "for sensitive stomachs" but it is quite acidic. I take it with food just in case.
(I see there are now some other brands with tapioca C too so maybe you could find a less expensive one.)

I've also purchased another mineral based one called C-Salts Buffered Vitamin C Powder in the past. The taste isn't that great but I think that's because it's buffered. It still seems to work well.

The other negative on that one though is that it seems to harden in the bottle after about six months. I always say the next time I get it, I'm going to pour it into a ziplock bag instead so I can break it up when that happens but I keep forgetting to do that and when it hardens there's no way to get anymore out of the bottle. :(

Used to take Lipricel and Livon liposomal. Both were even easier to digest than Lipo naturals from iherb, but stuck with that because of the lower price. It is worth trying a few brands of liposomal vitamin C. There seems to be a big difference between brands

xena

i'm finding camu camu to be okay for me actually. i was trying a natural c blend and that was intolerable. pure camu is okay. so yay! however, lemon juice is still much more effective for me at relieving symptoms, more than camu powder.

linusbert

i had one liposomal powder-like in a capsule vitamin C from zenwise. the only one i tolerated (i get diarrhea pretty fast and am allergic to lemon and most plant extracts).

sadly they changed their "formula" and now i do get diarrhea from it too. of course they insist its the "same" in a new bottle design, and the vendor of liposomal did change, but its the "same" . there cannot be aaany problem here.
suckers! NEM vendors mostly are garbage. they do not make products to remedy health problems but instead for healthy people who just want to have the feeling to do something healthy by popping a pill with random ingredients.

liposamal c. If you still can't tolerate it some mixed supplements with vit c and quercetin may do the trick for you and it is also good for herx.

dave11

I have tried several brands of camu. Usually, the taste is poor, and the color dark. In my experience, the best tasting, with a natural berry color, is the FGO brand freeze-dried camu. It is on Amazon.
Organic Freeze-Dried Camu Powder | 7oz Resealable Kraft Bag | 100% Raw From Brazil | by FGO

linusbert

I have tried several brands of camu. Usually, the taste is poor, and the color dark. In my experience, the best tasting, with a natural berry color, is the FGO brand freeze-dried camu. It is on Amazon.
Organic Freeze-Dried Camu Powder | 7oz Resealable Kraft Bag | 100% Raw From Brazil | by FGO

mine actually tastes interesting, i put 7g , thats 2 teaspoon of it into my mouth and spill it down with water.
tastes a bit like coke or gelly bears and a little bitter.
i bet one could make a interesting soft drink out of it.