• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heavy Metal Toxicity

Swim15

I’m back guys lol. After being diagnosed with Lyme (5 strains and 5 coinfections) we did some more digging and found I have mercury poisoning.

I’m curious how many people here have gotten checked for Lyme (ONLY by a lab that is experienced in Lyme testing) or heavy metals?

I haven’t seen it discussed much and after following some docs that deal with outlying cases like ours, I think an enormous number of people here would likely turn up positive for one of those (or mold) based on patients I’ve seen and statistical likelihood of exposure. I’d bet huge sums of money that’s what many people here deal with but finding the right tests isn’t easy.

learning the in’s and out’s of mercury chelation which is tedious but if anyone has experience with it I’d love to heard from them

GlassCannonLife

I’m back guys lol. After being diagnosed with Lyme (5 strains and 5 coinfections) we did some more digging and found I have mercury poisoning.

I’m curious how many people here have gotten checked for Lyme (ONLY by a lab that is experienced in Lyme testing) or heavy metals?

I haven’t seen it discussed much and after following some docs that deal with outlying cases like ours, I think an enormous number of people here would likely turn up positive for one of those (or mold) based on patients I’ve seen and statistical likelihood of exposure. I’d bet huge sums of money that’s what many people here deal with but finding the right tests isn’t easy.

learning the in’s and out’s of mercury chelation which is tedious but if anyone has experience with it I’d love to heard from them

I haven't been tested at all but read a bit about it. Dr Datis Kharrazian speaks about it a fair bit - I think it was in his book on brain health..?

He recommends a very gentle approach where you start with glutathione only and don't try to pull anything out aggressively in case it redistributes and makes you even worse.

Swim15

Yeah the more Ive learned the more surprised I didn’t see it talked about more here. I think it’s much more likely to be the cause of CFS than many of the things people here routinely check first.

Ive joined a number of pretty knowledgeable chelation groups and they are all strongly of the opinion that glutathione, cilantro, chlorella, NAC, ALA, and any other weak chelators will cause redistribution and worsening of symptoms because they mobilize mercury but bind it weakly so it tends to get dropped and moved around the body easily. Can’t really speak to that a whole lot but there are much better options now at least…really meaning one which is emeramide haha.

GlassCannonLife

@Swim15 interesting - never heard of emeramide, I'll check it out.

Have you been using it already? I did eat a lot of tuna when I was young so maybe I have some heavy metal issues - no way to definitively know right..? Or do you think hair and urine analyses are legit?

Edit: just looked into it - sounds pretty good! Do you know of a good place to get some?

Edit 2:
Just looking at this rat study. Although the emeramide (NBMI) helped with acute toxicity, they didn't find any decrease in organ levels of mercury aside from a decrease in the level in fat in the negative control vs treatment-only groups

nihms353530f2.jpg

They actually say "NBMI exposure seemed to increase brain, liver and EP fat Hg levels and decrease IP fat Hg levels", although they do caveat this by saying their study numbers were quite low so it is not definitive. You can see the higher brain and liver levels between groups 1 and 2 though..

They also observed that the difference in excretion of mercury between groups 3 and 4 were not significant.

Not sure if you've seen this but it looks like it wouldn't work too well for people with heavy metals in their organs..

Last edited:

Swim15

@GlassCannonLife yeah there definitely is. Hair analysis can help establish severity to an extent but the only real way to measure is with a chelator challenge. The easiest to read results is EDTA/DMSA/DMPS IV but people who are really toxic tend to experience a lot of side effects from all the mobilization.

You’ll have to find a doc that does the pre/post test challenge with EDTA/DMPS or you can do an oral challenge as well.

It’s contraindicated for people with amalgam fillings still in their mouth to get a challenge done.

I am using emeramide now and it’s definitely doing

GlassCannonLife

@GlassCannonLife yeah there definitely is. Hair analysis can help establish severity to an extent but the only real way to measure is with a chelator challenge. The easiest to read results is EDTA/DMSA/DMPS IV but people who are really toxic tend to experience a lot of side effects from all the mobilization.

You’ll have to find a doc that does the pre/post test challenge with EDTA/DMPS or you can do an oral challenge as well.

It’s contraindicated for people with amalgam fillings still in their mouth to get a challenge done.

I am using emeramide now and it’s definitely doing

Cool, thank you.

Sorry I edited my post while you were writing this, with details of a rat study - can you please check it out and let me know what you think? Sounds a little underwhelming. But you're finding it good?

Swim15

Cool, thank you.

Sorry I edited my post while you were writing this, with details of a rat study - can you please check it out and let me know what you think? Sounds a little underwhelming. But you're finding it good?

I think there’s a few issues there, one being short duration. The second being that OSR complexes with mercury to form a non toxic complex that takes time to be excreted through the P450 pathway in the liver.

The long and short of it is that it takes time for it to circulate, complex, and be excreted whereas here they only measured short term markers. The mercury may still be there but in a non toxic form as well (I believe this to be correct and that it would still be picked up in measurements).

Check out the human studies with it. There are some active groups on Facebook that use it as well and there are a lot of success stories with people recovering and getting their lives back with emeramide

GlassCannonLife

I think there’s a few issues there, one being short duration. The second being that OSR complexes with mercury to form a non toxic complex that takes time to be excreted through the P450 pathway in the liver.

The long and short of it is that it takes time for it to circulate, complex, and be excreted whereas here they only measured short term markers. The mercury may still be there but in a non toxic form as well (I believe this to be correct and that it would still be picked up in measurements).

Check out the human studies with it. There are some active groups on Facebook that use it as well and there are a lot of success stories with people recovering and getting their lives back with emeramide

Hm that's interesting. Yeah it was quite short duration, but the drug was mostly excreted within 24 h IIRC. Perhaps you're right though and it just binds and is processed very slowly from within organs. I'll try and find the human studies.

Where did you buy it from? It seems hard to find. What is your dosage/treatment plan? Thanks for the help.

Swim15

Hm that's interesting. Yeah it was quite short duration, but the drug was mostly excreted within 24 h IIRC. Perhaps you're right though and it just binds and is processed very slowly from within organs. I'll try and find the human studies.

Where did you buy it from? It seems hard to find. What is your dosage/treatment plan? Thanks for the help.

It’s half life is ~22 hours in humans IIRC but I think the complex takes longer to excrete.

Medkoo and fandachem are the two reputable suppliers and I purchased from both, currently using Medkoo. Dosing is pretty individual based on tolerability. Ive progressed mine rapidly and am 9 days in already up to the full clinical dose for the first time today (300mg). It was pretty stimulating so I’m probably going to back it down to 200mg per day or so.

Assuming no problems I’ll probably do 6 months and then retest with a DMPS challenge.