• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heart Rate Monitor Watch with Audible Alarm

I AM

Dr. Besty Keller (PhD exercise physiology, Ithaca College) told me that Polar makes a heart rate monitor watch that is nearly as accurate as the chest straps. I visited their website and using the chat feature to ask questions about the model, the person told me that they only make watches that can be worn for exercise not throughout the day like I want.

I want a device that can be worn on the arm or wrist during my waking hours to monitor my heart rate and produce an audible alarm (beeps) when my heart rate reaches the value that I programmed into the device. I do not want to have to hook it to my mobile phone. Is there a device like this? Thank you.

Belbyr

I see the new Apple Watch is really good at tracking heart rate, I don't know if there is an alarm or not. I will have to ask my sister in law to see if maybe it has that feature. I see POTS patients posting their Apple Watch sleep heart rates on different facebook groups.

I AM

I see the new Apple Watch is really good at tracking heart rate, I don't know if there is an alarm or not. I will have to ask my sister in law to see if maybe it has that feature. I see POTS patients posting their Apple Watch sleep heart rates on different facebook groups.

The challenge with the Apple Watch is that it can be off by 30%, I believe. Otherwise I do love it. If it has the alarm and works without my mobile device then I'll buy it. Thank you!

I AM

From Dr. Betsy Keller:
Be advised that the most accurate watch devices that measure heart rate without requiring a chest strap, may vary as much as +30 bpm compared to ECG measured heart rate (which is how we determined your HR@AT). If you track your heart rate using a watch device, you may need to assess the accuracy based on trial and error. If you are staying below your HR@AT and still experiencing PEM symptoms, your watch device may be measuring a bit too low.

Rooney

You can only program the apple 4 in 10 point increments, as in alarm at 90,100, 110 beats. Charge every day too. This is how it would be for me to track sleep too. I read one might charge it resting in the evening.

lafarfelue

The newest model of the Apple Watch (Series 4) has ECG.

Press release about this: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018...-notification-available-today-on-apple-watch/

Snippet from the link:

Starting today, the ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 marks the first direct-to-consumer product that enables customers to take an electrocardiogram right from their wrist, capturing heart rhythm in a moment when they experience symptoms like a rapid or skipped heart beat and helping to provide critical data to physicians. The irregular rhythm notification feature on Apple Watch can now also occasionally check heart rhythms in the background and send a notification if an irregular heart rhythm that appears to be atrial fibrillation (AFib) is identified. Apple worked with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for a number of years to receive De Novo classification for the ECG app and the irregular heart rhythm notification, making the features available over the counter.
It can be set to make noise with notification, or vibrate (or neither). It does work best when paired with an iPhone, but it doesn't need to be constantly 'in touch' with an iPhone to work as a watch and HR monitor. I am unsure how you would set the watch up without an iPhone. Also, the benefit of the watch pairing with a phone means that you can track everything over time.

Thanks so much everyone. I purchased the Polaris A370 with continuous heart monitoring. Battery life is about 4 days and it is water proof. It also monitors sleep habits. https://www.polar.com/us-en/continuous_heart_rate_tracking
@I AM Phoenix I followed suit and ordered the Polar A370. Mine just arrived today. Paired it with my iphone, but it's still charging up. I saw on the polar website you can use this wrist monitor with a chest strap as well, if you want. I don't know my AT yet, but it will be a start to monitor my HR. Does it vibrate or anything when you exceed your max HR, and did you change any of the settings in the app? @Dechi I noticed you have the same monitor, do you have it set to alarm or vibrate or something when your HR gets too high? Thank you for helping :tulip::dog::tulip:

I AM

Great! Please do update us with how you find it and whether you feel it helps you, if/when you're able.

I do not feel that it helps me because it goes off all of the time... I take a few steps and it goes off. I talk and it goes off. I eat and it goes off. It is not practical or livable.

Dechi

@I AM Phoenix I followed suit and ordered the Polar A370. Mine just arrived today. Paired it with my iphone, but it's still charging up. I saw on the polar website you can use this wrist monitor with a chest strap as well, if you want. I don't know my AT yet, but it will be a start to monitor my HR. Does it vibrate or anything when you exceed your max HR, and did you change any of the settings in the app? @Dechi I noticed you have the same monitor, do you have it set to alarm or vibrate or something when your HR gets too high? Thank you for helping :tulip::dog::tulip:

No I don’t put it on vibrate as I don’t have POTs (I have neurally mediated hypotension) and the problem with my heart beat is more being too slow than too fast (although I peak many times during the day around 130-140.). I use the activity chart to monitor my heart rate a few times a week. Yesterday my lowest heart beat suring the night was 33. If that’s right, it’s kind of scary...

After wearing my watch (before this one I have the Polar A340) for something like a year or so, I started having pain in my arm from the skin and tissues being squeezed from the warch. I stopped wearing it for a few months and now wear it on the other hand. I wish they made them lighter and smaller.