• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Healthy oil?

Anne

Thanks peggy-sue - a (perhaps stupid) follow-up question: what is pharmaceutical grade? (I'm not in the US and English is not my first language...) What does this mean?

alex3619

Could anyone help me with this question (perhaps previously discussed somewhere, have searched but not found it):

I have been wondering about the Omega3 supplements made from fish oil and to what extent these might contain heavy metals and other toxins (which are of course present in fat fish). Suppliers usually claim the oils/supplements have been de-contaminated, but has this been tested by a third party?

Are there any brands that are proven to contain less heavy metals/toxins than others?

I have read that it depends on the purification method, but I have not confirmed this. Typically you can tell by concentration of active ingredients. Most fish oil is only about 30% pure. This means it is 70% other stuff. Apparently the purification process that leads to 60% pure removes heavy metals. Its a more sure choice. Pharmaceutical grade is 90% pure, and typically what is used in clinical trials. It can be hard to get and is expensive, but its definitely the best quality.

alex3619

Cold-pressed extra virgin coconut, macadamia nut, avocado, and olive oils. Organic if you can afford. And eating those foods.

Fish oil is important to us too for a variety of reasons. In part though we need to take care of oxidative stress for them to be effective. Ratios are very important as has been discussed. Its the balance of eicosanoids synthesized that determine effect. I am currently exploring the notion that both too much and too little series 2 eicosanoid activity drives many symptoms. This was first proposed in the late 1980s I think, but not published till the mid 90s.

peggy-sue

Anne, "pharmaceutical grade" means purified to the extent it could be used as a control substance in scientific experiments.

peggy-sue

What is Ray Peat's agenda? Does he have one? Does he state it?
He says he's a nutritionist (and an artist) on top of his PhD in Physiology.
I'm never too sure about "nutritionists" - they're generally trying to sell something overpriced too - and they don't yet seem to have caught up with the danger of fructose, which is by far the most important thing which should be emiminated from all diets - along with hydrogenated oils.

adreno

PR activist
Could anyone help me with this question (perhaps previously discussed somewhere, have searched but not found it):

I have been wondering about the Omega3 supplements made from fish oil and to what extent these might contain heavy metals and other toxins (which are of course present in fat fish). Suppliers usually claim the oils/supplements have been de-contaminated, but has this been tested by a third party?

Are there any brands that are proven to contain less heavy metals/toxins than others?
Yes, there is a third party. Take a look at this, and only buy 5 star oils:

The International Fish Oil Standards Program

For cooking, use coconut oil or butter, if tolerated.

As for Ray Peat, I wouldn't listen to anything that man has to say. His views are in opposition of an enormous amount of evidence. The two most important fatty acids in the brain are DHA and arachidonic acid. Go figure.

brenda

He quotes plenty of studies which are independent of agricultu ral industry influence who want fast growth from aminal feeds. Since taking his advice over cutting PUFA my immune system has improved. Even though I have added plenty of saturated fat my weight is going down.

adreno

PR activist
He quotes plenty of studies which are independent of agricultu ral industry influence who want fast growth from aminal feeds. Since taking his advice over cutting PUFA my immune system has improved. Even though I have added plenty of saturated fat my weight is going down.
There are good PUFAs and bad PUFAs. You can't lump them all together. Anyway, you feeling better without PUFAs is not evidence of anything. There are tons of studies showing that omega-3s - in the right amounts - are healthy and essential.

adreno

PR activist
Yes and plenty of studies saying the opposite.
By all means, listen to Ray Peat, instead of doing some research by yourself. After all, he is a "nutritionist":
However in many countries and jurisdictions, the title "nutritionist" is not subject to professional regulation; any person may call themselves a nutrition expert even if they are wholly self-taught.[2] In most US states, parts of Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom, the term nutritionist is not legally protected, whereas the title of dietitian can be used only by those who have met specified professional requirements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritionist

adreno

PR activist
Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online). 2011 Jun 2;65:314-27.
[The role of docosahexaenoic acid in neuronal function].

[Article in Polish]
Walczewska A, Stępień T, Bewicz-Binkowska D, Zgórzyńska E.
Source

Zakład Interakcji Międzykomórkowych, Katedra Fizjologii Doświadczalnej i Klinicznej, Uniwersytet Medyczny w Łodzi. anna.walczewska@umed.lodz.pl
Abstract

Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA, C22: 6n-3) is the most abundant polyunsaturated fatty acid in neuronal phospholipids, particularly in the cortex. The main source of DHA for neural cells is food, and hepatic and astroglia DHA synthesis from essential a-linolenic acid (C18: 3n-3). Accretion of DHA in the brain is most intensive during fetal life and the first two years of life. An adequate level of DHA in cell membranes is important for many functions of neural cells and this is presumably the reason for DHA saving in the adult mammalian brain during dietary a-linolenic acid deficiency. DHA-containing phospholipids in membranes are flexible and membranes possessing a high content of them are quite thin, more permeable to ions and small molecules, have looser lipid packing, and finally are more "dynamic" than membranes composed of otherfatty acid containing phospholipids. Furthermore, these membranes create an appropriate environment for integral proteins highly condensed in neurons, such as receptors, ion channels, enzymes, and peripheral proteins. The quantity of phosphatidylserine in the inner membrane lipid layer depends on the availability of DHA to neurons. Phosphatidylserine promotes neuronal survival by translocation/activation of kinase Akt and Raf-1/MEK. DHA present in membrane phospholipids facilitates v-SNARE/t-SNARE complex formation, which is necessary for fusion of synaptic vesicles and plasma membranes necessary for transmitter exocytosis, and neurite outgrowth-dependent plasticity. DHA plays an important neuroprotective role. DHA has been shown to inhibit PGE2 synthesis and COX-1 expression in astrocytes, and DHA derivatives, especially neuroprotectins D, can suppress inflammatory responses, preventing neuronal damage or apoptosis. The results of high DHA content in neuronal membranes and formation of DHA derivates, as well as the function of DHA-dependent phosphatidylserine, may explain the promising results supporting beneficial DHA supplementation in neurodegenerative diseases and improvement of brain function.
PMID:

peggy-sue

My personal (therefore subjective and anecdotal) experience is that a high dose of pharmaceutical grade EPA (from anchovies) plus EPO daily (total of 4 g) does wonders for my functioning - both mentally and physically.

DHA causes me severe deterioration in mental and physical functioning.

I'd been taking the EPA/EPO combination for about 7 years, but I ran out, and used a propritory pharmaceutical grade stuff from Boots :)mad:) which contained DHA as well as EPA for a couple of months, while waiting to save up for a new batch of the good stuff.

I went downhill rapidly, in all areas, in that 2 months.

I got the correct stuff and was vastly improved again within about a week.
I was really, really surprised I improved again so quickly. It is supposed to take about 3 months before you see any improvement, from starting.

I can only assume I hadn't become completely devoid of the stuff - or that my body just likes it so much it just grabbed it all with glee! :love:

EPA (and EPO) really, really helps me. I have all the evidence I need to be absolutely positive about this.

Some research my be required to ascertain what i'm going to say here - but I'm positive it's EPA used in cell membranes, NOT DHA!

Anne

Anne, "pharmaceutical grade" means purified to the extent it could be used as a control substance in scientific experiments.

Thanks! Which supplements contain this? Which brand have you been using?

Or is there a PR policy of not mentioning brand names on the Forum? If so, any chance those of you who have identified properly purified EPA supplements could send me a message? Would really appreciate it.

Yes, there is a third party. Take a look at this, and only buy 5 star oils:

The International Fish Oil Standards Program

Same question here: I'm so brain fogged right now - any chance you have brand names which are 5 star?

peggy-sue

My "plug-ins" (whatever they are) won't "support" me looking at the details on that site Adreno.
Are there any which are EPA without DHA?
I suppose the cost, locally would be the deciding factor with whatever brand.