• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HBOT and Oxygen concentrator causing a cough?

Peyt

Hi,
I bought a Oxygen Chamber along with a concentrator and mask about 2 months ago for my home use.
Shortly after starting to use it I started getting a cough. At first, I didn't attribute this to the HBOT, instead I thought I had gotten bronchitis. I even went to doctor and he gave me antibiotics. So I stopped using the HBOT and took the antibiotics and the cough got better. So I started using the HBOT again and the cough returned!

Now I am wondering if breathing in direct oxygen from the concentrator through the mask is causing this? Has anyone else come across this problem? I read somewhere that the oxygen that comes out of the concentrator is very dry, can that be damaging my lungs??

junkcrap50

Maybe the air is too dry? Do you have a humidifier cup for the concentrator? Also, I would change the air filters on the concentrator & HBOT compressor too. Make sure the oil filter on the compressor isn't too old and full of oil.

Peyt

Maybe the air is too dry? Do you have a humidifier cup for the concentrator? Also, I would change the air filters on the concentrator & HBOT compressor too. Make sure the oil filter on the compressor isn't too old and full of oil.

No I don't. I just called the company that sold me the concentrator and they have a humidifier for $8.00!!
Can you believe it? If I knew a humidifier is needed I would have definitely bought one from the beginning!.... anyways, just ordered one... but now I have to wait for this cough to subside before attempting to use the concentrator again. I am crossing my fingers that I have not damaged my lungs while breathing dry oxygen! .... Thanks for letting me know about the oil filter, I didn't even realize there was a oil filter. I will check that next.

junkcrap50

No I don't. I just called the company that sold me the concentrator and they have a humidifier for $8.00!!
Can you believe it? If I knew a humidifier is needed I would have definitely bought one from the beginning!.... anyways, just ordered one... but now I have to wait for this cough to subside before attempting to use the concentrator again. I am crossing my fingers that I have not damaged my lungs while breathing dry oxygen! .... Thanks for letting me know about the oil filter, I didn't even realize there was a oil filter. I will check that next.

Is the humidifier cheap or expensive for $8? It's literally a cup of water that has a tube for the air to go into and bubble out of. That's about the price I'd expect. You can but it online, maybe on amazon for $5 or less. For my oxygen concentrator, I bought a stainless steel air stone to increase the humidity. It helps bubble the O2 through the water though tiny, tiny holes, increasing the surface area of the air bubbles so more water gets absorbed, increasing its humidity. My parent who also uses my HBOT & oxygen concentrator continued to complain the air was too dry without the air stone. Now, the air is as humid as it can possible get. (The first 2 inches of O2 tubing/line out of the humidifer usually has some condensation in it from the high humidity of the air. It goes away when the concentrator is turned off and hasn't built up any mold or anything. But I know that the air couldn't possibly get more humid.)

https://www.amazon.com/stainless-steel-air-stone/s?page=1&rh=i:aps,k:stainless steel air stone,p_n_condition-type:6461716011 . I got one of these. I don't remember if I got the 2micron or 0.5 micron sized holes. But I'm pretty sure it was the 2micron size. Otherwise, it would be hard or require higher pressures for the O2 to pass through the tiny holes. And the size difference won't make a difference in the humidity. The air stone is already a HUGE improvement over what comes with the humidifier. Also, I measured the tube in the humidifier to make sure the barb on the stone would fit. It was close enough and heating the ed of the tube in hot water made it flexible enough to fit on barb.

There are 2 filters on the compressor. An air filter, which is important to change. Mine was filthy when I bought my HBOT (I bought mine used). So I changed the air filter. I did not change the oil filter, because it was much, much more expensive. And I don't think it would have accumulated that much oil. So it was probably still good. You probably won't need to change the oil filter, but use your judgement.

Otherwise, i would look for mold or any other irritants in your hoses, HBOT chamber, compressor, concentrator, etc.

Wayne

I am crossing my fingers that I have not damaged my lungs while breathing dry oxygen!
I very much doubt that you did any permanent damage to your lungs--probably just irritated them. Last December I got a deep chest cold, and the coughing and lung congestion hung on for months. When I did my first HBOT sessions in April, I could hardly believe how quickly my lungs cleared up completely--about 2-3 days or so. I really think once you get the oxygen humidified, your lungs will love it!

Another thought: -- When I first got my brand new mHBOT unit, I had to let it outgas for several weeks before I could use it. I initially got sick from it, but I don't recall if it affected my lungs. If your unit was outgassing as much as mine was, it could be that is what irritated your lungs, and not necessarily the oxygen. -- I'm happy to hear you have your own home unit (congratulations! :thumbsup:). I absolutely love mine, and can scarcely believe what's it's done for my sleep quality. Feels almost like a life changer at this point. -- [Age spots have lightened by 75% as well.]

Peyt

Last edited:

Peyt

Another thought: -- When I first got my brand new mHBOT unit, I had to let it outgas for several weeks before I could use it. I initially got sick from it, but I don't recall if it affected my lungs. If your unit was outgassing as much as mine was, it could be that is what irritated your lungs, and not necessarily the oxygen. -- I'm happy to hear you have your own home unit (congratulations! :thumbsup:). I absolutely love mine, and can scarcely believe what's it's done for my sleep quality. Feels almost like a life changer at this point. -- [Age spots have lightened by 75% as well.]

I have never heard of that term "let the chamber Outgas". How does one do that? Am I suppose to wipe it with something? Thanks

junkcrap50

I have never heard of that term "let the chamber Outgas". How does one do that? Am I suppose to wipe it with something? Thanks

Oh, if you bought a new chamber, then your lung issues are most likely caused by off-gasing. The manufacturing of it causes it to have & release a lot of VOCs from the plastic and glue, which is what it is off-gasing. Letting it off-gas means not using it for a while and just let the VOCs from the plastic migrate out. I believe you can hasten the off-gasing by leaving your chamber out in the sun.

Also, if its new, then you shouldn't have to change any filters (air or oil filters). But check the air filter since it should be easy, just in case it is dirty.

Shanti1

Administrator
@Peyt @junkcrap50 @Wayne or anyone else- I am investigating oxygen therapies as some OTC oxygen products (Oxygen Boost and Oxygen Extreme) have greatly improved my brain fog. As users of home HBOT with oxygen concentrators, have you found continued benefit? Any suggestions on an oxygen concentrator (quieter is better)? Thank you!