• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hayfever - Anyone suffering?

Replenished

Not the worst thing in the world in comparison to some M.E. symptoms but on top of everything else the Hayfever this year seems quite extreme, especially the past few days. I wondered if I'm just having a bad reaction to it or are any of you also struggling as well?

I haven't got massively itchy eyes and my sinuses aren't that bunged up but I've got a permanently bunged up foggy head and generally feel awful and i'm sure it's the hayfever.

Hip

An air purifier with a HEPA filter can clear pollen from the air, so if you are inhabiting just one room for much of the day, then air purifier in that room can be very effective. I use an air purifier for my hay fever.

The model I have will clean 230 cubic meters of air per hour (= 136 cubic feet per minute). Some air purifiers are ridiculously priced though. I paid around £50 for mine, although that was 20 years ago, and this model is no longer sold. I use it every hay fever season.

I also find the Beconase hay fever spray pretty effective. However Beconase is an expensive brand, and you get much better deals if you buy the generic version which contains the same ingredient (beclomethasone dipropionate).

Last edited:

Wishful

My nose started running yesterday. I'm pretty sure my allergy is to fungal spores from lichens that grow on evergreen trees. The weather here just turned cold and wet, which lichens prefer for propagation. I haven't yet identified the species, and it could be some insignificant-looking species that lives 20-50' up a trunk, or some other highly localized species.

Desloratadine didn't provide "Fast Relief!", but the symptoms aren't so bad today, so maybe it needed longer to work.

lenora

Yes, my hayfever tends to get worse constantly. Where I began with no allergies (well, cigarette smoke always got me), I'm now allergic to many things year round. This occuered after I had shingles a number of times in one year and is one of the reminders left.

A HEPA filter on both your furnace/air conditiioner and air puriifers (now quite small in size compared to the original model) are very good.

I agree with Hip, an air purifier helps a lot but you may have to buy more than one. Fortunately the price has also been reduced. Our newest filter is very thick and doesn't have to be changed as often.

I love being outside, but of course I can expect problems of some sort or another. It's often hard to tell an infection with a general cold. Mold/mildew can be a major problem for me. Even though our Xmas decorations are in boxes and covered in plastic, dust still develops over the years, but fresh greenery can also give me problems. The air purifiers provide some relief.

I use acupressure to relieve symptoms in my forehead and facial areas. I'm sure you can find something on youtube showing you how to do it. Acupuncture (tried a no. of times) did nothing, but the acupressure had benefits. My husband also has severe allergies and has had the injections over the years....finally, after approx. 50 yrs., they're working. Yours, Lenora.

lenora

Hi @Rebeccare. Yes, that's how our pollen arrives. I think this year will be another all around year....one thing after the other. Maybe, if we're lucky, a few weeks off in the summer.

You can see thick layers of the yellow pollen on flat surfaces especially. There is plenty of sneezing, coughing and nasal problems going around. If you're going into medicine, do become an allergist....guaranteed work forever!

It has become worse as I've aged....immune system just gets weaker. We travel too much, too far and too fast (airplanes) today. I don't think humans were designed for such a purpose. Yours, Lenora