• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has your Section 8 rent increased for 2020?

For 2020 has your Section 8 HUD rent increased by a large amount?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I recently discovered that my Section 8 rent increased by a huge amount that wasn't justified by my medical expenses, income. The local housing authority tried to blame rent increases, fewer medical deductions but it couldn't account for the increase. I found out that they had decreased the payment standard to the rock bottom 90% level allowed.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
That sounds a bit brutal.

There were signs it was being planned in April.

HUD Secretary Ben Carson to propose raising rent for low-income Americans receiving federal housing subsidies

The initiative unveiled by Carson Wednesday would raise the rent for tenants in subsidized housing to 35 percent of gross income (or 35 percent of their earnings working 15 hours a week at the federal minimum wage), up from the current standard of 30 percent of adjusted income. About half of the 4.7 million families receiving housing benefits would be affected, HUD officials said.

He added that decades-old rules on rent calculations are “far too confusing,” often resulting in families who earn the same income paying vastly different rent “because they know how to work the system.”
HUD wants to scrap rules allowing deductions for medical and child-care costs when determining rent, which Carson said gave some tenants an unfair advantage.

“They know how to include certain deductions that other people may not be aware of,” Carson said. “We really want to level the playing field and make it much more even for everyone.”

Housing advocates criticized the HUD proposals as “cruel hypocrisy,” coming on the heels of tax breaks to wealthy Americans and corporations. (2 Trillion to Billionaires in the Tax Bill)

“When we are in the middle of a housing crisis that’s having the most negative impact on the lowest-income people, we shouldn’t even be considering proposals to increase their rent burdens,” said Diane Yentel, president of the National Low Income Housing Coalition.

Technically Carson can't do any of this unless Congress approves it legislatively.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tammy

Won't know until February of next year. Wow...............$210 is a huge increase. Yikes.........hope this isn't reflective of things to come.

southwestforests

Maybe it is just because I live out in a little midwestern county seat farm burg of less than ten thousand population, but mine went down; though only by one dollar!

I'm going to be paying $288 and the market rate for this apartment is $345.