• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has oxygen therapy helped you?

LINE

From my experience (after doing hundreds of experiments) is that the CFS is caused by high immune activity and with the high immune activity comes lots of oxidative stress. The immune system produces some pretty toxic byproducts (for example, Reactive Oxygen Species aka ROS)

This oxidative stress then attacks the cell membranes which then lowers the vitality (energy output). Oxygen metabolism is starved and with that, things have trouble. IMO, oxygen therapy will work much better with decent levels of antioxidants. I find in particular that protecting the cell membranes from oxidative stress is a high priority. Vitamin E scavenges Lipidperoxide which are oxidants that attack lipids or fats ( the cell membrane is comprised of lipids, so Vitamin E should be able to save the membrane from oxidative stress.

Synthetic versions of Vitamin E do NOT work but natural vitamin E (d-alpha) is much better than synthetic. I couple this with phosphatidylcholine (Sunflower Lecithin) since it has the similar lipid structure as the cell membranes.

Of course, I use other antioxidants such as Vit C, alpha-lipoic acid and others to round these out. I find that using a layered approach is more effective.

Ozone therapy or even oxygen therapy can be a helpful protocol, I administered 500 treatments at home with a medical grade ozonator (emphasize > medical grade). Controlling the oxidative stress is important when doing these therapies. In other words, the antioxidant levels should be adequate. Low antioxidants will delay any benefit from ozone. Keep in mind that ozone is technically an oxidative therapy but has several benefits to it.

Last edited:

LINE

Ozone therapies were very helpful, my thinking is that it is very detoxifying and I had lots of problems with that (toxicity). Cell repair with the Vit E and phosphatidylcholine was very helpful and wide sweeps of antioxidants is very helpful.

LINE

So how did that work out for your brother? Did it help?
Yes, it helped, though he is not a CFSer. Before any embarks on any of these ideas, they should read precautions. Myself, I would do low doses.

cheeseater

In my part of the world the MD's will not prescribe oxygen therapy unless your oxygen sat's are in the 70% area.

An old friend (65+) was recently talking about some unusual breathing problems and went through similar things as talked about in this thread. Asthma drug changes, even though they never really felt they had asthma. Similar inhaled drugs, etc. They were even checked for late onset CF (cystic fobrosis).

Finally the friend came to the conclusion offered by an imaging tech, who offhandedly commented that when their mother shrunk about 4 inches of height from age, etc. she had similar odd sort of non-specific breathing problems. Interesting perspective. Apparently more than just your lumbar spine discs dry out and cause height shrinkage. Your ribcage also shrinks, giving your lungs less room to operate. Talking about generalities in people, associated sometimes with age..

Nord Wolf

The Northman
I mentioned last year that I started using O2 machines because of my lung conditions. It has been a while so I thought I'd just give a very brief update.

I do have left lung damage from when my lung was collapsed many years ago during work. It healed enough at the time, and I was in such extreme physical condition that I didn’t notice any lingering issues. However, after being poisoned in 2005, my lungs started dropping off in their normal abilities. It was a very slow progression for quite a few years. After developing severe dysautonomia, the lung conditions advanced rapidly.

Doctors thought I had developed asthma. I went through all breathing tests and failed most, tried numerous inhalers for years and they had zero lasting results. Then pulmonology thought I might have COPD. We tired those inhalers with adverse results. Eventually my main doc said I should try home O2 therapy with concentrators. I did so and it helped my breathing.

Months after, pulmonology finally got me in for imaging and found a dead spot in my lower left lung. They concluded it was left over from the collapse years before. But with the advancement of dysautonomia and other conditions, the left lung issue had become more of a problem. They also connected the dots between the type of dysautonomia I have with respiratory complications.

I used the O2 at 40% at 3L per minute. Most days last autumn and early winter I was using it for 30-60 minute spans about 2-4 times per day. It would decrease the entire respiratory inflammation, but it did help flood my system with the O2 that it was being starved of due to the inflammation. I noticed increases in mental clarity, digestive movement, increased circulation to extremities, and better sleep. I would wake with an SpO2 of around 82%. Using the O2 would increase that to an average of 96%.

Over winter I didn’t need it that much, but now that spring is here and the warm air and humidity are slowly increasing, I’ve had to use it often again.

I’ve thought about the ozone therapy. There is a place in the city about an hour north of here. But I never decided on trying it... yet.