• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has D-Ribose helped you? If so, what other mitochondrial supplements are you taking alongside?

pogoman

well scratch inositol off the list of my supplements.
been noticing a trend of increasing fatigue and weight gain the past month even tho being more active.
of the two supplements I've added during that time (TMG the other), inositol is used to lower testosterone in women with PCOS and appears to do the same in men :(
so just straight choline and going to cycle DHEA for a short bit.

And scratch choline and TMG off, I had a suspicion they are too sulfur related and was causing issues like other sulfur supplements have done for me.
Did a challenge test with both and definitely felt worse on each.
So now I'm on mfolate, B12s, lithium orotate, B2, coq10, lysine, proline and vit C.
No more of the other Bs like P5P, niacin, thiamine etc.
Fatigue has improved so much I am able to do more and was running into delayed pain symptoms so also started back up on nortriptyline nightly.
It's helping with neuro pain and hands going numb while sleeping.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
The one concern with d-ribose is that it really increases glycation -- not a good thing:

http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMarch2010/cureNO0210.html

"D-ribose is a potent glycating agent, being approximately 50 times more active in glycation than is D-glucose (the normal sugar in the blood), with substantial possible physiological effects of such D-ribose mediated glycation.
D-ribose is a potent glycating agent, being approximately 50 times more active in glycation than is D-glucose (the normal sugar in the blood), with substantial possible physiological effects of such D-ribose mediated glycation."

This was a really good reference. I did some research and confirmed it plus learned that D-ribose is an apoptosis inhibitor which predisposes people to cancer and works against immunotherapy. I miss the extra energy boost but just want to finish immunotherapy as quickly as possible so I have removed it from my supplement regimen.

Dr. Tietelbaum should have researched this supplement more before he advocated it for ME in his From Fatigued to Fantastic book. That book should probably be pulled from Amazon due to the misinformation in my opinion.

dannybex

This was a really good reference. I did some research and confirmed it plus learned that D-ribose is an apoptosis inhibitor which predisposes people to cancer and works against immunotherapy. I miss the extra energy boost but just want to finish immunotherapy as quickly as possible so I have removed it from my supplement regimen.

Dr. Tietelbaum should have researched this supplement more before he advocated it for ME in his From Fatigued to Fantastic book. That book should probably be pulled from Amazon due to the misinformation in my opinion.
Hey thanks for posting that. I totally forgot about that study, and have been taking d-ribose again. I'll stop it immediately...been trying to address worsening blood sugar and pre-pre-diabetic issues for 4-5 years now, with not much luck.

So very timely to come and see this...another memory lost to brain fog. Anyway, thanks!