• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anything helped your "brain fog"?

Wishful

Fisetin gave a slight reduction in brainfog, for a few weeks, then stopped working. Other than that, the only thing that reduces my brainfog is avoidance of factors that increase it.

I can't remember whether T2 or iodine reduced brainfog. It reduced my overall symptoms severity, so it may have reduced brainfog too. No one else reported such benefits from T2, so it might be unique to my ME.

Rufous McKinney

Modafinil

I tried this (once).

I doubt it is not going to "fix anything". What it did in my case was give me a mild headache followed by noticing the kitchen floor was dirty and I dropped to the ground immediately and cleaned it.

Wasn't supposed to do that. Crashing because you did more because your brain is a bit sped up.

L'engle

moogle
Modafinil just made me tense and angry. Maybe the floor got clean too but it was a long time ago so I don't remember. :)

Shanti1

Administrator
Antivirals (valacyclovir, oxymatrine) helped clear my brain fog over time
High dose B1 in the form of allithiamine is consistently helpful
Several off label meds help me as well, including modafinil, which I use occasionally and at a very low dose. Others I have found helpful for brain fog are amantadine, atomoxetine, naphazoline drops, nimodipine, and pentoxifylline.

Rufous McKinney

"Modafinil: It helps keep your home clean!"

Normally I am only allowed to clean a patch of the floor. On Modafinil- I went after the whole floor. The whole room.

which I use occasionally and at a very low dose.

I only took half (50 mg). So it was a subtle n=1. And that was it for any interest in trying it again. Boy, I experiment well! (not)

My doctor was sort of offended that I did not leap about in joy, for Modafinil. His "other patient" loves it (and then he says she "crashes"...we we know that is NOT a positive outcome).

Later, I discover my doctor has refilled my Rx, and my husband goes and gets it. My husband does not need to be taking this thing, so he is in trouble with wife.

My husband loves any form of brain altering. Except the part where you listen to your wife and then make alterations.

Modafinil just made me tense and angry

thats the problem with tapping into a bit more energy (if thats the correct term). I often don't have the energy to get very mad, or very tense.

Shanti1

Administrator
I bought this at the urging of a friend and need to decide to actually try it. Any advice?

I started off using regular B1 but found I could only take it for 2-3 days in a row before I would start feeling worse from it. I then tried benfotiamine, but same thing. Finally, I tried the allithiamine and found I could tolerate it everyday. I take 50mg allithiamine daily as a maintenance dose and up it to 100-150mg if I am having a bad brain fog day.

As a side note, others on this forum have reported good results with regular B1 and benfotiamine. Other than that, I always go by the ME mantra, "start low and go slow". If you try it, let us know how it works for you!

Rufous McKinney

If you try it, let us know how it works for you!

I also bought charcoal and (biotin) (I think?) at her behest part of taking the Alli Thiamine.

Hence fear of detox got me: stalled.

I use regular b-1, (sort of regularly but not every day and not the 2 times therefore I"m getting/not that much)

I take the methylated types...(Life Extension) hoping thats what I am supposed to do.

Shanti1

Administrator
When I used regular B1 I had to take 200mg to get an effect. I'm pretty sensitive and I have seen that others use a higher dose, like 500mg or more. With regular B1, it would lessen the fog, but I couldn't take it every day or would end up worse. Had to use it only twice a week. Allithiamine I can take every day and gives me a more natural feel.

I do not take biotin separately, but I do take an active B complex that has biotin in it.

Shanti1

Administrator
Did your friend say why she suggested extra biotin? I know high dose biotin sometimes used for neurological diseases like MS, maybe others. Perhaps that is why.

Rufous McKinney

Did your friend say why she suggested extra biotin

I "think so"....however, I see the third bottle of whatever I never opened is missing, and my husband the supplement addict is likely guilty of the crime.

She recommended three things plus Magnesium I already had.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Matthew_2 - I've read several times about people being helped with brain fog by B12. Brain fog is one ME/CFS symptom I have not had to deal with, and I don't know why. But, my doctor had me supplementing with extra B12 (orally and by injection) prior to developing full- blown ME/CFS and I've wondered if that somehow prevented me from developing brain fog. I have PEM and definitely trouble sleeping and impaired immune system, and mild POTS symptoms but no brain fog. He did hair analysis tests every year and my cobalamin levels were always almost undetectable, despite injections, etc.

I have good results with liquid methylcobalamin. I did injections (both methylcobalamin and hydroxocobalamin) for several months with no apparent benefits. I also tried sublingual B12 tablets with no result. But when I switched to liquid methylcobalamin, and took a high enough dose, I finally felt better. I'm currently using this product: Nature's Life, B-12 Drops, Sugar Free, Wild Berry , 5,000 mcg, 2 fl oz (60 ml) (iherb.com)

I use it like a sublingual product, just let the liquid absorb under my tongue. I also take a ton of other supplements, including B1, B2, methylfolate and many more!

Shanti1

Administrator
Later, I discover my doctor has refilled my Rx, and my husband goes and gets it. My husband does not need to be taking this thing, so he is in trouble with wife.
I see the third bottle of whatever I never opened is missing, and my husband the supplement addict is likely guilty of the crime.
:rofl: too funny, you are going to have to start locking things up!