• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried Dry needling for Myofascial pain syndrome?

Peyt

Hi,
Has anyone tried dry needling for Myofascial pain syndrome ? Is that the same as acupuncture or is it different?
I have had pain in my back from my neck all the way to my low back for over 20 years. Finally after going to dozens of doctors I am discovering that this is my issue. One of the recommendations is to get trigger point injections but before I go that route I wanted to see if anyone with the same condition has tried dry needling and if it was effective?
Thanks so much

*GG*

I've been diagnosed with Myofascial, not sure that is why I was referred for dry needling though. Also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, and just lots of neck and should tension/pain. I had it done at a PT (physical therapy) office a few years ago. The practitioner was pretty good at it. But then I moved and PT personnel were not as skilled, it didn't provide as much relief.

Had it done by a therapist at a physical medicine Drs office before. She was awesome, would grab the tight muscle and manipulate the "trigger points", I could feel them release and often a strong "twinge", getting the muscle to release, unfortunately she is no longer able to practice. I got great range of movement in my neck after sessions with her.

Looking to get some done this year, but I need to travel a ways to get tot he good Drs. But my body so much needs a skilled person! I hope this happens for me in the next few months.

I use a back buddy all the time, lots of stretching, and topical ointments for pain and relief.

GG

lenora

Hello.....I have a number of problems and ME (CFS & FM) are among them. Years ago I tried dry needling for my FM...I had no relief whatsoever. I also had trigger point injections with the same result.

I've had at least 3-4 (I've been sick for well over 35 yrs., one forgets how many attempts were made) rounds of acupressure. The full onslaught where I did everything possible for the entire length of treatment. I had no relief from that even though each practitioner worked overtime and didn't make one cent on my spine. I've also not had success with TENS machines or infrared therapy. I have discovered this: The more my body is worked on, the worse off I am.

Cupping had the same result....nothing. However, having said that I would encourage any one who wants to, to try any of the above methods. You never know what will work.

The best help has been gabapentin or later, lyrica. That reduced my pain levels considerably. However, since I still had the well-know burning nerve pain, I also went on fentanyl. I was on it for probably 4-5 yrs. I was fortunate in that I never had problems stopping the use of it, but I would take vacations anyway...just had to prove that I could manage without it. I reduced it slowly...please don't ever go off any opioid quickly.

I'm no longer on fentanyl but it must have done something b/c my pain levels are not at the same screech they were before I was on it. The difference? I don't know, but I know that either a compound cream prescribed by my neurologist or even Aspercreme (buy the 4% Lidocaine roll-on) are enough to hold me, with the nightly use of 800 mg. of ibuprofen. More than that, I'll have tinnitus. I may have to put on more during the night, but it's a small price to pay considering where I began. The pain never left...and it was always that dreadful burning pain that indicates nerve damage.

I can't stay up longer than 10-12 hrs. because my back won't support me for longer than that and the pain returns. We have a mechanical bed (much like a hospital bed) and we'll watch TV during the evening. I'll often read for 3 hrs. or so after that. Interestingly enough I have had problems with insomnia for almost the entire time I've been ill. The usual ME sleep in the early beginning made me tired, but was totally unrefreshing. Not really sleep even...I could repeat every word being said in the room. Then followed years of insomnia.

Oddly enough I've been getting better sleep in the past 2 mos. than in all the years of my illnesses. I recently read where lidocaine can make one sleep. So whether that's part of the answer or not, I couldn't say, but I do want to pass it along to you. Like I said, different things work for different people. I hope you'll find some relief as soon as possible. Certainly faster than I did. Yours, Lenora. P.S. Myofascial pain is caused by the so-called skin under the skin known as fascia. If you look that up, you'll find a whole description of what the fascia is and it's part in pain.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Hi,
Has anyone tried dry needling for Myofascial pain syndrome ? Is that the same as acupuncture or is it different?
I have had pain in my back from my neck all the way to my low back for over 20 years. Finally after going to dozens of doctors I am discovering that this is my issue. One of the recommendations is to get trigger point injections but before I go that route I wanted to see if anyone with the same condition has tried dry needling and if it was effective?
Thanks so much

I recommend an OCS certified physical therapist in the USA. They are experts in handling this.

Dry needling is just a form of acupuncture. It isn't preferred rehab.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Just an idea but you might also try a tens unit with the tens pads. The sensation is similar to being poked by a needle.

I didn't like it and prefer heat therapy but my Mom used to get almost instant relief sometimes with tens therapy. Sometimes she would even have two units going at once.

lenora

I've had dry needling done in the early days of having FM. It did sometimes work in patients who would later have injections if the dry needling didn't work. It was different from acupuncture.

I did find acupressure to be a great help and forgot to mention that earlier. I still use it on myself today if necessary, although it's rather hard to reach one's back.

I noticed that I said acupressure in the 2nd paragraph of my response above. It should have said acupuncture.

@Judee, you just gave a perfect example of two totally different therapies that worked in different ways for different people. I hate to say it, but it's trial and error. In my case, ice will generally numb any pain for me. Heat seems to tighten my muscles up too much, even if it's at a very low setting. How is the moving going?

For those interested I'll mention that Ace Bandage makes a blue cloth covered ice pack in different sizes. The largest one is perfect for lying on if one's spine is hurting a lot. It numbs it right out. I just wrap it in something like a tea towel....and it never freezes rock hard. I used to use them constantly, but not as much lately. They're great though & you just keep them in the freezer. Don't worry about the cold....I became like Pavlov's Dog when ice was mentioned. Take good care. Yours, Lenora.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
There's also some nutritional considerations (vitamin b complex, water, lower sugar consumption), ergonomics, muscle imbalances. Rehab requires deactivating the trigger points, stretching, strengthening weak muscles and eliminating the causes. The longer they persist the more flexibility you lose. It isn't just about pain.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
How is the moving going?

Not going very well. I've hit some roadblocks in my health so boxes everywhere but not full. :(

Starting back today on something that was working for me before so hopefully I'll get out of this 5 day crash I'm in and get going on it again soon.

Thanks for asking, @lenora. You're so sweet. Bless you!!!