• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tested XMRV + after taking Valcyte or Vistide?

I am curious if anyone has tested XMRV + after taking Valcyte (or Vistide)? I have been on Valcyte for 2 years (Dr Lerner) and have gained most of my improvement in the last two months. I want to get tested for XMRV, but am waiting for the new serology test (and some money) but am concerned since I have shown improvement on Valcyte that maybe it will affect XMRV test results. For anyone wondering: I am still physically limited and tire easily, but I am no longer CONSTANTLY fatigued (thank God!). I can take little walks (10 minutes) but still need a lot of rest. This is improvement for me since I was constantly on the couch laying down with fatigue and headaches.
:victory:

C

Cloud

I am curious if anyone has tested XMRV + after taking Valcyte (or Vistide)? I have been on Valcyte for 2 years (Dr Lerner) and have gained most of my improvement in the last two months. I want to get tested for XMRV, but am waiting for the new serology test (and some money) but am concerned since I have shown improvement on Valcyte that maybe it will affect XMRV test results. For anyone wondering: I am still physically limited and tire easily, but I am no longer CONSTANTLY fatigued (thank God!). I can take little walks (10 minutes) but still need a lot of rest. This is improvement for me since I was constantly on the couch laying down with fatigue and headaches.

Yes, I had already been on Vistide for 10 months when I tested xmrv+. In fact, I had my xmrv lab drawn the same day as a Vistide Tx. I have never taken Valcyte, but I'm very happy to hear of your progress on that med.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .

I was on Valcyte for 7 or 8 months last year. I tested positive for XMRV.

I didn't notice much improvement with fatigue until I added B12 shots (which I previously had used but the fatigue came back after 3 months). So I am waiting to see if the fatigue returns.....Or if the Valcyte alone made all the difference, since B12 alone wasn't "it".
I think the Valcyte helped a little with "brain fog" and lessened my low grade temperatures. It didn't do anything for my fatigue levels or anything else. It didn't make me more functional.

I took Valcyte from about January 6 through about June 7 and then stopped. About July 15th I was tested for XMRV. I just got the result today and it was positive.

Lois in Boston area where there are no CFS doctors!$#@

KC22

I've been on valcyte for 2 1/2 years. I am now taking it every other day.. I have noticed some improvement; mostly cognitive, but my fatigue is not as bad. I still can't do a lot and get sick and tired very easily.

Long story, but I spoke with Dr. Whittemore and asked her about valcyte and XMRV testing. She told me that it can be found in patients, but sometime harder to find. I am with you, I am waiting until the XMRV test is solid; I don't want to waste my money.

Daffodil

lois.. i think there is someone in boston..perhaps you can make a new thread..i could have sworn i knew someone who was being treated in boston. you might also want to ask at prohealth.com

SOC

I'm in roughly the same place, and am wondering the same thing. I don't want to waste $$$ on XMRV tests for two of us if the Valcyte is likely to affect the test results.

Still improving on the Valcyte, BTW.

*GG*

I took Valcyte from about January 6 through about June 7 and then stopped. About July 15th I was tested for XMRV. I just got the result today and it was positive.

Lois in Boston area where there are no CFS doctors!$#@

Welcome to the Forum Loispix! How are you handling the news?

So you had a month and a half after stopping Valcyte before your blood was drawn. Hmm, interesting.