• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tested for Lipopolysaccharides (LPS)?

YippeeKi YOW !!

Hi @lint7 .... while I kow what lipopolysaccharides are, I hvae nooooooooooooo idea how they test for that, tho the 'lipo' part would seem to indicate blood or plasma, as would the polysaccharides.

So I'm tagging in some of the better minds here who seem to have a handle on a whole universe of stuff and maybe they can help .... @Hip, @Shanti1, @Pyrrhus, ...oh crepe.... my mind just went blank. I know there are at least two or three others, but I cant call them up right now .... I'll be back when the brain returns from wherever it's planning on spending the long weekend ....

AHA !!! @IThinkImTurningJapanese !!!!

EDIT .... to add an important name to the list ....

Last edited:

Shanti1

Administrator
Cyrex Labs offers an LPS antibody test with the thought that if there is intestinal permeability, there will be an immune reaction against the LPS and heightened levels of IgG against LPS. I'm not sure how validated the test is. I'm not aware of a commercial lab that measures LPS directly.

lint7

LPS are the main component of the outer membrane of gram negative bacteria. They are toxins that provoke an immune response and inflammation. The presence of them in the blood can confirm a bacterial infection (with gram negative bacteria), or could be an indication of leaky gut.

BrightCandle

Cyrex Labs offers an LPS antibody test with the thought that if there is intestinal permeability, there will be an immune reaction against the LPS and heightened levels of IgG against LPS. I'm not sure how validated the test is. I'm not aware of a commercial lab that measures LPS directly.

https://www.cyrexlabs.com/CyrexTestsArrays/tabid/136/Default.aspx

Array 2 is the one containing LPS IgG, IgA and IgM. For people considering this test I also think Arrays 12 and 22 look interesting as well looking for particular bacteria and leaky gut.

Garz

maybe have a read of Hips threads on Markov and his CFS theory - there is some discussion there of available tests for LPS and bacterial toxins