• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone taken food sensitivity tests and did they help?

Jwarrior77

Has anyone taken IGG food sensitivity tests and did they actually work by eliminating problem foods? Specifically the tests where they prick your finger for blood and you send it off to a lab to be tested. There are a couple tests online and I'm thinking about trying it.

Seven7

Seven
I did, helped in a way. But I was allergic to everything except egg, so in that sense not help BecuAse I couldn’t just not eat!!!
So rotation diet + gaps was my salvation. And I added each food slowly. I can eat most everything now ( I have colitis so I have to avoid certain things) and as long as you follow rotation diet, you do not develop new sensitivities.

Aerose91

Took the MRT test. It only helps alongside a comprehensive gut program though. If you avoid allergies yet are still feeding pathogens I dont think you'll see much benefit

Hip

Has anyone taken IGG food sensitivity tests and did they actually work by eliminating problem foods? Specifically the tests where they prick your finger for blood and you send it off to a lab to be tested. There are a couple tests online and I'm thinking about trying it.

Food intolerances tests are great if you need to remove excess money from your bank account, but medically they have no value. There are no medical tests for food intolerances. The ones advertised on the Internet are scams. The only way to diagnose food intolerances is by an elimination diet, which takes about 3 months to do properly.

Allergy tests are a different story, however; there are legitimate blood tests for allergies.

Aerose91

Food intolerances tests are great if you need to remove excess money from your bank account, but medically they have no value. There are no medical tests for food intolerances. The ones advertised on the Internet are scams. The only way to diagnose food intolerances is by an elimination diet, which takes about 3 months to do properly.

Allergy tests are a different story, however; there are legitimate blood tests for allergies.
I constantly hear positive feedback from functional practitioners about the accuracy of the MRT test. I wonder if anyone else here has done it

Hip

I constantly hear positive feedback from functional practitioners about the accuracy of the MRT test.

The Mediator Release Test (MRT) is a new one for me. But I could not find any studies which have validated this MRT test, against the gold-standard elimination diet method of detecting food intolerances.

The usual scam food intolerance tests you find online are the hair tests, which are a totally fraudulent, as there is no way you can diagnose food intolerance from a hair sample.

The NHS says:
A number of companies produce food intolerance tests, but these tests are not based on scientific evidence and are not recommended by the British Dietary Association (BDA).