• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone taken buspar or busperone for anxiety?

Mouse girl

I've been having the worst anxiety of my life. It's making life even harder to deal with. My doc suggested Buspar and I have a prescription. Has anyone tried it and what did you experience? I know we are all different so you can't tell me what I may experience, I'm just struggling sooooo much but i'm afraid to take the meds.

I did try one day and it stopped the anxiety but gave me bad headache and I couldn't function at all, couldn't think or do anything. I tried it another day a month or so later and it had no effect that I can remember. You are supposed to take it everyday and don't feel the anxiety relief until a month or so. I worry though. I am super sensitive to any SSRI meds so I can't take those. And lorazapam and xanax make my depression worse. Also tried a beta blocker and that made me depression bad the next day too.

My wife was taking busperone or pregabalin for anxiety. In her experience, busperone is well-tolerated drug, that helps only with specific situations. It's more protective against social situations, when you scared to talk to someone, or getting new job, or about to get yelled on. Pregabalin helps more if she is scared about her health.

It's very important to know the cause of your anxiety to make you better. Poor nervous system can be just one problem, and there also psychological reaction on your situation.
I would suggest same thing what other members suggested me against anxiety, though i beat my own anxiety problems pretty much completely, without any drugs.

Thanks to Hip, here are suggestions:
N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG), taken at a dose of 700 mg twice daily on an empty stomach; the dose can be reduced once daily after a few
Flaxseed oil (aka linseed oil), one level tablespoon (15 ml) daily.
Turmeric, at a dose of 1000 mg twice daily, best taken on an empty stomach (but if it causes irritation, take with food).

This may be good additional treatment for your anxiety.

@Perfson How did you beat your anxiety completely? Is Hip another member?
Well, the reason of my anxiety was me being afraid of my own symptoms, and not even realising it. Basically, i was getting panic attacks, because i was trying to escape panic attack. Other symptoms made me nervous as well, mostly not because i didn't understand them, but because i didn't want to experience such unpleasant symptoms and fear.

If your situation is different, i doubt that my experience can help.

I've been having the worst anxiety of my life. It's making life even harder to deal with. My doc suggested Buspar and I have a prescription. Has anyone tried it and what did you experience? I know we are all different so you can't tell me what I may experience, I'm just struggling sooooo much but i'm afraid to take the meds.

I did try one day and it stopped the anxiety but gave me bad headache and I couldn't function at all, couldn't think or do anything. I tried it another day a month or so later and it had no effect that I can remember. You are supposed to take it everyday and don't feel the anxiety relief until a month or so. I worry though. I am super sensitive to any SSRI meds so I can't take those. And lorazapam and xanax make my depression worse. Also tried a beta blocker and that made me depression bad the next day too.

Buspirone can work very well for anxiety, but you have to take it consistently for several weeks or months to get the effects.

It's not like benzodiazepines that can be taken as needed in response to anxiety. It reduces anxiety by inducing long-term adaptations when taken regularly multiple times per day as directed.

It sounds like a good match for your situation. The side effects will decrease over time and the anti-anxiety effect will slowly appear.

The two biggest mistakes with buspirone are not giving it enough time to work and not taking a high enough dose. For patients who can wait through the start-up period and work with their doctor to find the right dose, it appears to work very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Husband of

My wife was taking busperone or pregabalin for anxiety. In her experience, busperone is well-tolerated drug, that helps only with specific situations. It's more protective against social situations, when you scared to talk to someone, or getting new job, or about to get yelled on. Pregabalin helps more if she is scared about her health.

It's very important to know the cause of your anxiety to make you better. Poor nervous system can be just one problem, and there also psychological reaction on your situation.
I would suggest same thing what other members suggested me against anxiety, though i beat my own anxiety problems pretty much completely, without any drugs.

Thanks to Hip, here are suggestions:
N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG), taken at a dose of 700 mg twice daily on an empty stomach; the dose can be reduced once daily after a few
Flaxseed oil (aka linseed oil), one level tablespoon (15 ml) daily.
Turmeric, at a dose of 1000 mg twice daily, best taken on an empty stomach (but if it causes irritation, take with food).

This may be good additional treatment for your anxiety.
Hi perfson, I'd be interested to know how you beat your anxiety. My wife gets anxious about doing the right things to make herself not so sick (like pacing correctly for example). My wife has some of the same issues as you. She has always had trouble being anxious about being anxious, before she got MECFS, and now she is anxious about being anxious about being sick. Also anxious that her anxiety it depression so going to make herself sicker

she also just seems incredibly sensitive to anxiety these days. Perhaps just being fatigued makes you more prone to anxiety as your brain knows you don't have the faculties to escape danger so well nor to even identify it. And it's hard to think your way out of anxiety when you have Brian fog. MECFS might act as an amplifier of anxiety in this way.

Last edited:

Mouse girl

she also just seems incredibly sensitive to anxiety these days. Perhaps just being fatigued makes you more prone to anxiety as your brain knows you don't have the faculties to escape danger so well nor to even identify it. And it's hard to think your way out of anxiety when you have Brian fog. MECFS might act as an amplifier of anxiety in this way.

This disease affects the nervous system. As one of my favorite docs said to me when i brought up having anxiety: "Oh course, you have anxiety, you have a nervous system disease." Nothing complex about it. Also, when people get terrible chronic illnesses (now, i don't know if your wife has something very mild or if she is very ill) but with chronic illness or terminal illness etc, patients get what is called, secondary anxiety. Some of her anxiety before the illness may just have been having a damaged nervous system and this diseae in mild form. It is a diseae that has a genetic base and then any number of pathogens etc add up until the tipping point where the illness comes out full blown. Personally, with the anxiety i have had, meditation or vitimins etc do nothing. Meditation seems to help some people but for others it can make anxiety and mental health worse. Best is if she feels safe as she can in stable enviroment, emotional support and doing things that she finds she likes or are relaxing, not what any one else finds relaxiing. Medication can be helpful too. I know this site has alot of people who have very strong beliefs against medicine but I just won't engage in a debate as it is pointless. best of luck. i'm sure she knows best what to do or even more importantly, not to do.