• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone seen DR CHENEY?

sleepy237

From the information printed on the net, it seems that Dr Cheyney became too ill and withdrew from practice. I think that his clinic remains open though. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sing

That is too bad! If I could go anywhere I'd have gone to Dr. Cheney too, but in another year, I expect the picture will have changed a lot and our options improved.

There were a number of old posts about Dr. Cheney's approach and a few members who saw him. Maybe if you do a search of old posts and threads, you'd find this information. I remember one of those threads was called, Experiences with Clonazepam.

Sing

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
He had a heart transplant some years ago. He is fully recovered and sees patients regularly. However, he is very, very expensive.

Sushi

jenbooks

Cheney's office is only open M, T, W and he sees very few patients a day according to a patient of his whose appt was moved in August for personal reasons by Cheney. Having a heart transplant and being on immunosuppressive drugs, is not necessarily fully recovered in the sense of returning to a fulltime practice, which he apparently did not.

shiso

http://www.cheneyclinic.com/about

You've probably checked this out (lists approximate costs and the appointment process), but it may be worth calling his office directly for the latest information.

If you don't get a lot of direct responses on this thread, you may want to use the Search feature on this forum for posts mentioning "Cheney." I remember seeing some posts by current or former Cheney patients on this forum or secondhand accounts from Cheney patients (like in the Stem Cell thread in the Treatment section).

Dr. Cheney is not at all ill from his heart transplant, only takes one anti-rejection pill a day, and is the star pupil of the Duke heart transplant people and has had his medical practice going fulyl forward for the last 4-5 years.

He only sees patients three days a week now, although before the XMRV news last fall, he often saw established patients on Thurs.

From having the heart transplant, he learned that the best treatment for his patients was to cure major organs of the body e.g.brain, gut, before trying to wrestle the causitive agent. So that is what he's currently doing along with helping us to feel the best we can as science goes forward to findinga treatment/cure for this retrovirus.

Yes, he is expensive, but he spends at least 3 or more hours with an established patient, and for new patients does not hand out a CFS diagnosis without thoroughly talking with and examing the patient.

I've had CFS for nearly 28 years, have been seeing him for 20 and feel the best now that I've ever felt.

BTW, in his first year at med school at Emory, he finished up his Ph d from Duke. Atomic physics. A very smart fellow who never hesitates to change his mind as to what is or is not helping

patients. To me that signifies both intelligence and courage, since his goal is to help us, not to protect his ego.

slayadragon

I think that Dr. Cheney is an extremely smart fellow and that we're very lucky that he has devoted his career to this disease.

Would you be willing to share what treatments seem to have been the most effective for you?

Welcome to the board!

Best, Lisa