• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone recovered in the Bay area ?

hmnr asg

Ive actually heard mostly bad reports about the dead sea and most of Israel recently at least. You could talk to simcha macgregor , on Facebook, hes been to Israel since starting mold avoidance and he found it veey challenging place

Dang it. I guess I can go to death valley, I live in san jose so its close by. I think everyone agrees that place is better, correct?

frozenborderline

Dang it. I guess I can go to death valley, I live in san jose so its close by. I think everyone agrees that place is better, correct?
Death valley is pretty damn good in my experience. I haven't tried many of the official campgrounds in it though, some have reported bad plumes/hits from rhe bathrooms. It's also tough place to be because mostly out of service... Idk how ill you are and jf you will be able to drive to service on your own. There's an abandoned campground in death valley junction that we really liked that is free but no toilets or showers.

Furnace Creek is not great but I would consider any of the other areas of death valley as being promising. And explore a little if you do go.

Mercey hot springs is closer to you and is supposed to be good although I've never been. It's often recommended to beginner Avoiders that are very ill because apparently you can fly in and there's electric hookups and wifi.

frozenborderline

Depending on your finances, you could also book one of the cottages at wine ridge in pahrump nv for a little while and then take day trips to death valley from there. They aren't very expensive and pahrump is btwn las Vegas and death valley

frozenborderline

I like death valley ans also the desert near Nevada and its easier temp wise this time of year, so to be honest, the main reason I am not currently there camping is a little bit of stubbornness, we are trying to make new mexico work even though it's colder, but also we want to find housing and this is a better area for that

Strawberry

@marlunette Did you ever try the peninsula? I do a bit better in the Belfair/Hood Canal region, and loads better at Ocean Shores. I KNOW I have issues with air pollution, not certain if I have mold issues though. But I'm curious...

frozenborderline

maybe if it was sheshe rich people camping with a lovely bed on a pedestal with a mosquito net and a fan for when its hot and fire for cold...... just day dreaming :)
Well there always are koa cabins. And I have always brought a futon or good mattress with me when camping due to my cci. Plus sometimes electric blankets etc.

@marlunette Did you ever try the peninsula? I do a bit better in the Belfair/Hood Canal region, and loads better at Ocean Shores. I KNOW I have issues with air pollution, not certain if I have mold issues though. But I'm curious...

@Strawberry I never made it to the peninsula but I did take the ferry to Victoria, BC a couple of times and felt much better there. I think the air on the peninsula is probably similar!

My husband and I considered exploring the peninsula or the islands to see if we wanted to move there but ultimately chose Phoenix because my sister is here and there is a stronger job market here.

frozenborderline

My husband and I considered exploring the peninsula or the islands to see if we wanted to move there but ultimately chose Phoenix because my sister is here and there is a stronger job market here.
Have you taken any trips to Sedona area? Its amazing how much you've been able to heal even in Phoenix. I would be curious how you do at some of the most pristine wilderness areas in AZ if u already improved so much in Phoenix. Plus it's gorgeous there

Strawberry

I know I'm interested in seeing how I feel in Arizona. My daughter just moved to general Sacramento area, I'm not sure how I will do now on visits any more. They are more in the mountains, but I doubt the air is as clean as Hawaii. I'd like to test Sedona or other areas (just not near Yuma as my ex and his witch live there) to see if I feel better in case I relocate to be closer to my daughter. My sinuses absolute hate the dry air in Utah, but I'm keeping my mind open about Sedona.

Have you taken any trips to Sedona area? Its amazing how much you've been able to heal even in Phoenix. I would be curious how you do at some of the most pristine wilderness areas in AZ if u already improved so much in Phoenix. Plus it's gorgeous there

Yes! Sedona is amazing! I did a one week sabbatical there a couple of years ago when I was still living in Seattle. I had planned for two weeks but a heat wave made me go back inside earlier than planned. I also chose a campground that was safe and cheap but not that pristine :(

I am excited to spend more time camping in Arizona now that I'm here! I started a full-time job a few months ago so I'm still working on earning vacation days. I want to see if spending more time being outdoors and in rural areas can help.

frozenborderline

Yes! Sedona is amazing! I did a one week sabbatical there a couple of years ago when I was still living in Seattle. I had planned for two weeks but a heat wave made me go back inside earlier than planned. I also chose a campground that was safe and cheap but not that pristine :(

I am excited to spend more time camping in Arizona now that I'm here! I started a full-time job a few months ago so I'm still working on earning vacation days. I want to see if spending more time being outdoors and in rural areas can help.
You should check out a few vortexes ! I was too sick to walk to most of them with cci but if I was more ambulatory thats the first thing I would do.

The whole northeast area of Arizona, with thr Navajo nation territory ans painted desert, is supposed to be really good. And then thr petrified Forest badlands are amazing too.

The grand canyon area is/should be great but they've had a ton of fires there and the aftermath of fires and fire retardants can really wreck the biome.

Arizona is nice though because you're equidistant to a lot of great areas, from canyons In Utah, to parks in new mexico, and Vegas area ...

frozenborderline

Vortexes are supposedly places that have geomagnetic healing powers. I know it sounds a little 'out there' but The Body Electric by Robert Becker suggests that biolectric effects are fairly real. Anyway, the air is pretty good in the Sedona area regardless of whether or not the vortex thing is real.

frozenborderline

I know I'm interested in seeing how I feel in Arizona. My daughter just moved to general Sacramento area, I'm not sure how I will do now on visits any more. They are more in the mountains, but I doubt the air is as clean as Hawaii. I'd like to test Sedona or other areas (just not near Yuma as my ex and his witch live there) to see if I feel better in case I relocate to be closer to my daughter. My sinuses absolute hate the dry air in Utah, but I'm keeping my mind open about Sedona.
Arizona is not necessarily a panacea. There are a lot of areas in that state where very sensitive people tend to not do well, like Phoenix and tucson (although Tucson has worse reviews).

I don't think the whole mold thing/paradigm is all about dry versus wet. It's more about the types of mold/toxins in certain civilization/industry/agriculture areas being worse for some mysterious reason. I have done great in some humid temperate forests.

The west/southwest is mostly good because there are such vast wilderness areas, not necessarily because of the dryness. It's more undeveloped in lots of areas.

That said.. the places I've done good in Arizona: Grand canyon rim (although there have been some nasty fires in that area recently and it may have gotten worse)... Sedona area, and the petrified Forest national park.

The whole northeast corner of the state where the Navajo reservation. Is is supposed to be pretty amazing but ive never been.

Strawberry

I don't think the whole mold thing/paradigm is all about dry versus wet. It's more about the types of mold/toxins in certain civilization/industry/agriculture areas being worse for some mysterious reason. I have done great in some humid temperate forests.

This is so true. I personally do fine in damp environments, but I'm not sure that my issue is mold related... But then I am not sure of anything with this disease.

Do you have any issues with the dry air there? Or did you initially?

frozenborderline

Do you have any issues with the dry air there? Or did you initially?
The only places I've had issues with the dry air were places where there were toxins , usually indoor spaces. I think certain toxins can be irritants and be very drying. For example I'm in a bad hotel in NM right now and my skin feels overly dry but when I've been in death valley I've felt fine

Vortexes are supposedly places that have geomagnetic healing powers. I know it sounds a little 'out there' but The Body Electric by Robert Becker suggests that biolectric effects are fairly real. Anyway, the air is pretty good in the Sedona area regardless of whether or not the vortex thing is real.
They also tend to be some of the prettiest parts of Sedona which is generously gorgeous!

Strawberry

Ok you guys sold me! I definitely will attempt to make my way to Sedona. If I feel well enough, I will check out the vortexes. I don't mind woowoo, if the vortexes make me feel better!

Although I looked at a map and my daughter is west of Reno and Tahoe, so if I ever do relocate, that is more the area to be close to her. Any of you guys had luck there?

frozenborderline

Although I looked at a map and my daughter is west of Reno and Tahoe, so if I ever do relocate, that is more the area to be close to her. Any of you guys had luck there?
Tahoe has weirdly inflated scores on the map I think. It is where a very infamous cfs outbreak happened. Erik Johnson says that the towns there vary wildly in environmental toxins , like block to block changes. Perhaps way more than other places. And also periodic flares I wouldn't trust it. I think that the map is generally good but if you look into specific places more to cross reference people's thoughts on them you may get even more accurate info , like with Tahoe there was the infamous algal Bloom and cfs outbreak and sick buildings.

Reno has mixed scores but the area outside of it very well could be good. I don't personally have experience with northern or central Nevada but my feeling is theres probably lots of good land out there and there's tons of unexplored space. My experience with the Vegas area is that places can change dramatically even if you only get fifteen minutes outside of the city. The high desert t outside of Vegas can be pretty great. Idk Reno that well and idk if it's similar to Vegas in the topography (Vegas is like A basin, when you escape the city you are getting outside of the air trapped in the basin) but it could be similar.

But I would start with places that generally have glowing reviews, at least recently, before trying out the unknown. And I agree with Lisa petrisons idea of exploring a little for the sabbatical if you do it.. since no places are 100 percent guaranteed to be good...

If I was doing a sabbatical in Sedona, maybe I would have the grannd canyon, or petrified Forest as a backup if I didn't feel good in Sedona.

Oak Creek Canyon is a small neighborhood in Sedona that I believe ? Is more elevated and has some of the best reviews.
I would either camp or find a new hotel and check out rooms until finding one that feels good, then spend as much time as possible outside , even if camping is too difficult, maximizing outside time is important for the experiment since there are bad buildings everywhere.