• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone ever tried Ginkgo Biloba or cistanche ?

Hello everyone,

has anyone tried Ginkgo Biloba ? I've researched on this forum but couldn't find many results. These days I'm researching about microclots and hypoperfusion, (I've been diagnosed with hypoperfusion/hypometabolism in some parts of my brain after a PET/MRI) and what could be done to make things better. I'm pretty sure my brain fog comes from the hypoperfusion.
So anyway while researching I've found this recent study talking about how a mix of Ginkgo Biloba and Cistanche provided relief in ME/CFS symptoms :
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2021.658630/full

In conclusion, we carried out a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study using a botanical product containing cistanche and ginkgo extracts and demonstrated that such a product exhibits promising effects in relieving the CFS symptoms and improving the scores of a series of quality of life measurements obtained via Chalder fatigue, QOL, and SLQ questionnaires. These findings suggest a botanical-based nutritional supplementation approach in mitigating CFS symptoms and improving quality of life. However, considering the above-mentioned limitations, studies with more comprehensive assessment tools, expanded sample size, and an extended follow-up period are warranted to validate the current findings.

and I'm really interested in trying this. The thing is I'm already taking a bunch of supplements and medications and don't want to get worse. I've seen that there was a risk of seizures when taking SSRI and Ginkgo Biloba and I've actually started taking an SSRI (Paroxetine) just 3 days ago ! My doctor prescribed it to me because of anxiety but I'm thinking about dropping it actually because I don't feel that bad. I'm also taking B1 (100mg in form of TTFD), B-complex, N-Acetylcysteine, D-Ribose and Ubiquinole.

I'm also wondering if this study is legit ? It seems serious (+ randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled) but the fact that they're talking about ying/yang stuff makes me a bit skeptical. Not that I'm dismissing this theory, I'm just surprised to see it in scientific litterature, but my english isn't great so I might have misunderstood what they meant.

Anyway I'm interested if anyone has stories to share about using Ginkgi Biloba or cistanche.

As I said earlier, english is not my first language so I hope it was not too painful to read. Thank you for reading me.

godlovesatrier

Ginkgo yes - did nothing for me and I didn't feel it helped cerebral spinal blood flow.

If you're interested in that you might want to checkout high dose vitamin B1 and nimodipine (the latter being a drug that's a calcium channel blocker, which increases cerebral spinal blood flow).

Ginkgo yes - did nothing for me and I didn't feel it helped cerebral spinal blood flow.

If you're interested in that you might want to checkout high dose vitamin B1 and nimodipine (the latter being a drug that's a calcium channel blocker, which increases cerebral spinal blood flow).

Thank you for your answer. I've started taking thiamine 1 month ago and the results are mixed. I had trouble breathing + anxiety last week on thiamine HCL and I've switched to allithiamine two days ago and it gives me headaches. Do you know if I can take it safely with Ginkgo by the way ?