• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has Anyone Done Mystery Shopping?

Misfit Toy

I was looking online for jobs that you can do on your time. Well, I found mystery shopping. I thought, well, that might be fun.

I just signed up for my first mystery shopping job. I have to go to a car dealership nearby and basically talk to them about a certain vehicle, get the guys business card and then come home and talk about my experience. Was the salesman good, etc?

It's not a lot of money, but it's an hour out of my day and I am going to see how I like it.

I know many are too sick to do something like this. Like I said, I am just going to try it.

We shall see! It will just make me feel like I am doing something. Again, one hour out of a week.

bspg

Plant Queen
Ooh. I'm curious to hear about your experience with this. I looked into it years ago but never tried it. Keep us posted!

Strawberry

This one sounds legit to me, but I do want to put a warning out for "secret shoppers" ads. My company had checks stolen last month, and one of the schemes they used to get $$ is posted ads for secret shoppers. They were sent a fraudulent check from my company, and asked to purchase itunes gift cards at various stores and rate their experience. Then they send the itunes cards back to the crooks. Untraceable and laundered money.

Your car shopping sounds legit, so I wouldn't worry. But if someone sends far more $ than they said they would, and asks for gift cards back in exchange (or a personal check from you), I would be a little concerned. No, a lot of concerned. Red flag concerned.

Best of luck! I don't want to scare you, some personal shopper ads are real.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have to go to a car dealership nearby and basically talk to them about a certain vehicle, get the guys business card and then come home and talk about my experience.
Maybe wait a few days to report back so you can see whether they bug you by phone or email after your visit.

ebethc

I was looking online for jobs that you can do on your time. Well, I found mystery shopping. I thought, well, that might be fun.

I just signed up for my first mystery shopping job. I have to go to a car dealership nearby and basically talk to them about a certain vehicle, get the guys business card and then come home and talk about my experience. Was the salesman good, etc?

It's not a lot of money, but it's an hour out of my day and I am going to see how I like it.

I know many are too sick to do something like this. Like I said, I am just going to try it.

We shall see! It will just make me feel like I am doing something. Again, one hour out of a week.

I've done recruiting for focus groups (not mystery shopping, but similar... product/marketing ppl are always looking for customer feedback in various forms..) and there's always a screening ahead of time that goes through a list of questions... it will give you a chance to evaluate THEM as much as it's a chance for them to evaluate you... If they skip this step, or don't have a 1:1 call, then it's prob a scam.

Misfit Toy

The company that does this is Best Mark. They are top notch. I don't have to pay anything to do it. I just have to report back. There are a lot of questions they ask. I have no idea if it will be worth it. They will send me a check.

I totally looked into this before I signed up because I am not into scams, not that anyone is!

rel8ted

There are legit companies that hire people for this, yes. Do NOT pay a fee to the scam companies. I used to do these when I was well enough to drive and get out more.

I worked for a company that mystery shopped the Post Office almost a year, Got paid $15 per visit and planned my other errands accordingly, so I was able to shop 4 offices.

There are some that visit apartment complexes or have you takes pics of rental houses. I found restaurant shops to not be worth the hassle they always wanted a ton of food pics (like one of a pizza flipped completely upside down).

I always enjoyed them.