• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone developed an intolerance for red meat?

IntuneJune

Wendy, not to worry

Funny, while you were posting, I was sitting in my family room with my neighbor talking about nature and how cruel nature is. She and I are both animal lovers, she had seen something that upset her today at work and she came by for a minute.

With regards to your diet, I think it is a good idea to take a look at it with fresh eyes. Eliminating trigger foods helped me a great deal, but initially, 30 years ago, I had help with the allergist diagnosing properly some of my problem foods.

Eating simple basic foods is a good place to start, although if it is gluten you are after, one must be a very, very good detective.

It is well-documented those with our problems usually also have food issues. I don't believe the foods are the root of our problem, but if our bodies are having a hard time with certain foods, certainly avoiding them would lighten the burdeon.

June

Victoria

Well said, June,

I would like to add that I find a need to make subtle changes to my diet from time to time - too much of the one food can trigger sensitivities (that you were not aware of in the past).

wciarci

Wenderella
Thanks Intune, Vikkie, I really have to do something, as I have had one meal today and have spent most of the day on the loo. This has got to stop. If only I can remember this tomorrow! Actually a friend of mine at school is a raw foodist and has started his own business making lunches, dinner etc. I think I'll start with him (easier), until my strength returns. There is no way I can go shopping right now.

XX Wendy

Victoria

Interesting that you should mention "raw foodist", Wendy,

I used to eat mainly raw food all through the summer many years ago (as many Australians do - we love our salads in all shapes & forms).

I often wonder if that was how I picked up the Blastocystis Hominus parasite infection 7-8 years ago - not washing the raw cabbage & lettuce greens properly. Which in turn contributed to my diarrheoa & IBS symptoms. I rarely have raw food now - cooked food seems to be easier on the digestion.

No way to know for sure, of course.

wciarci

Wenderella
Now, I will definitely get tested for parasites. We have our own organic vegetable garden and I eat raw all the time. We have been eating our beautiful asparagus (first year of harvesting) on salads. There was or is a show on TV, the monsters inside me, I think is the name. It is all about parasites. My friend told me about it. Now you have mentioned it. This must be a sign to get tested ;-)

Wendy

Hip

Red meat is pro-inflammatory, so perhaps the reason your have automatically developed a dislike for red meat is simply your body's way of avoiding triggering inflammation.

Dairy products are also pro-inflammatory.

There is research showing that excessive brain inflammation causes a lot of the problems in CFS, fibro and Lyme. Perhaps you might want to explore anti-inflammatory supplements, to see if this helps.

Victoria

You are right, Hip,

Red Meat is very inflammatory. So are all meat & fish. So is all dairy, & most grains (except millet, I think).

And most nuts (except almonds which are pretty high in omega 6 & 9 with almost no healthful omega 3, so while they're alkaline, it's best not to eat almonds every day).

I had to weigh up the pros & cons when I decided about eating red meat. In making my decision to eat at least 2 red meat meals per week, I looked at the other factors - increased protein, increased energy, increased Lysine (my health goes down hill very quickly without adequate lysine), iron & a host of other factors. I used to eat 4-5 red meat meals per week many years ago. I have revised that down to 2 per week, but if I ever feel like I'm getting too tired, I eat steak two nights in a row & immediately seem to perk back up again.

I have tried vegetarian many, many years ago, & tried fish only (as my source of protein) a few years ago. I just plain got too tired & too many IBS symptoms.

I sincerely believe some of us were meant to eat meat, & some of us were meant to be vegetarian.

I believe vegan or fruitarian is too extreme.

I made a decision to go down the middle way - a little bit of everything, with minimal grains & dairy which I KNOW don't agree with me. So, while I do get increased pain & inflammation from time to time, I get a reduction in other symptoms that make it worth getting those intemittent episodes of pain.

I used to enjoy vegetarian meals, but rarely now. There's too much fibre in beans & other pulses for me.

As I need to eat a variety of protein sources, I need to watch my fibre intake too.

I never, ever want to go back to the severe bowel & stomach pain (all night for years on end, as in 2003,4 etc).

IBS (for me) & the sleepless nights around 2004 were the worst period of my life (except for the excruciating sciatic pain before my lumbar disc surgery in mid 2008 - but that was prolapsed discs, not pain from incorrect diet).

As they say, Variety is the Spice of Life.

Alpha-gal
Alpha-gal syndrome is a recently identified type of food allergy to red meat. In the United States, the condition most often begins when a Lone Star tick bite transmits a sugar molecule called alpha-gal into the body. In some people, this triggers an immune system reaction that later produces mild to severe allergic reactions when they eat red meat.

From mayo clinic website

A dr in Australia figured out the connection.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-18/how-ticks-can-cause-mammalian-meat-allergy/10719136

Ailúron

So sick and tired of being so sick and tired.
If you react this way only to mammal meat (beef, pork, lamb, venison, buffalo), you have what is described in the posts above - alpha-gal allergy or mammalian meat allergy. Many people in the Southern States are becoming all too familiar with this mysterious new ailment. The time you react after eating mammal meat is always unpredictable - from minutes to hours to the next morning. I know because I have this allergy. If you are also affected similarly by fish and poultry, then it is something else.

Last edited:

Johannes

I have intolerace for red meat, that is cow's meat older than 10 to 14 days. My meat must be maximum 14 days from slaughtering. And because cow's meat is tenderized 2 to 3 weeks in cold room, it will cause me troubles. Sometimes this tenderized meat is minced and mixed with fresh meat, in order to make as cheap minced meat as possible (they mince it if they can't sell it), and again I get symptoms. Pork causes me problems even if it is very fresh. No problems with chicken or lamb because they don't need to be tenderized. How ever, frozen chicken can be older than 2 weeks. Game causes me problems too. And fish, if it is older than 4 days from killing of it.

These problems come from ageing of meat. The older the meat, the more amines it contains. Histamine is one of those amines. Also cooking time and method has an effect on amine content. Also matured chease have amines and they cause me similar symptoms.