• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone actually cured Babesia with Buhner Protocol?

jess100

I'm about to begin the Buhner protocol for Babesia and it occurred to me that I've never actually seen a post where someone recovered fully, or improved greatly, from Babesia using it. Does anyone have any first hand experience improving with those herbs, especially Sida Acuta and Cryptolepis?

Carl

Buhner does know herbs quite well, I have another of his books Herbal Antibiotics which is a pretty good book.

I think that you should investigate Efflux Pump Inhibitors because they will increase the effectiveness of any antimicrobial. Buhner does go into this in his Herbal Antibiotics book so it is almost certain to be mentioned in his Lyme book.

I have also seen people mentioning that essential oils can be very effective against Lyme bacteria therefore it might be worth looking into those too. Many essential oils have very strong antimicrobial effects. However it is worth checking for any toxicity or adverse effects before using them. Lemon Grass is quite strong.

Colloidal Silver might also be worth using. I am not a fan of ionic silver and I prefer Reduced CS but it will be less effective against bacteria infected cells. Sort of mopping up any that try and spread.

BTW If you have not purchased the book and are only going by what people post on the web then you only have a small fraction of the information and you are doing yourself a disservice IMO. If you are not aware of the factors which can maximize the effects of antimicrobials then you are more likely to fail. Unfortunately, many people do this and then claim "I tried this and it did not work for me". Without doing all that was required.

Last edited:

jess100

Yes I have the book and it's very detailed and informative. It's also a long and complex protocol (mostly because I can't use tinctures and have to find equivalents in dry herb forms) And this is exactly why I want to know if anyone has actually made progress.
There is a lot of discussion and I have spend a lot of time following threads here, which mostly lead to herx advice, but can't find anyone who can actually vouch for the protocol.
Anyone? Can anyone say they clearly improved from this protocol?

Aerose91

Yes I have the book and it's very detailed and informative. It's also a long and complex protocol (mostly because I can't use tinctures and have to find equivalents in dry herb forms) And this is exactly why I want to know if anyone has actually made progress.
There is a lot of discussion and I have spend a lot of time following threads here, which mostly lead to herx advice, but can't find anyone who can actually vouch for the protocol.
Anyone? Can anyone say they clearly improved from this protocol?
I know this is an old thread but if you go to some of the lyme boards you'll read tons of success stories using Buhner herbs. Possibly even more than antibiotics

Dufresne

almost there...
The Buhner babesia protocol was insufficient to get on top of my babesia duncani infection. Cryptolepis, neem, sida acuta, and wormwood are all somewhat effective, with the first two being the strongest, but I had to use the pharmaceuticals.

I too had to give up the tinctures, but that was good because it got me into crushing up the herbs myself which is a whole lot cheaper.

I used chloroquine, azithromycin, quinine, and the above mentioned herbs in different combinations to get my load down, though I'd now recommend against using chloroquine as I developed chloroquine-induced retinopathy after just over a year on the drug. If I were to do it all over again I'd use 4 malarone as my foundation and rotate in the others as they seemed to work most effectively.

Nowadays for maintenance I use 1 generic malarone per day along with either cryptolepis or azithromycin.

Getting on top of babesia was huge for me. Made a big difference in my illness. I feel like a totally different person now.

Carl

I did read that copper is very effective against the lyme causing bacteria. However whether that was just marketting is another matter. Bioavailable copper is best rather than supplemental. This did come from the only maker of a natural ie bioavailable copper supplement which is why I have some doubts about this. It might be worth looking into to see whether it is accurate.