• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hard to fall asleep on Back

ChrisD

Recently (well actually for a while now) I’ve found it really to fall asleep on my back, there’s this significant urge to roll on to my side or front where I can eventually fall asleep.

I also need to stretch my hips out while on my side in order to fall asleep, this sounds okay but the problem is that I wake up with all kinds of additional muscle stiffness and neck ache etc especially if I sleep on my front with my head pressed to the side.

Has anyone else found there body won’t fall asleep on their back?

Wolfcub

No I am okay sleeping on my back, and think it is relaxing, because I have no idea what happens after that!
I also have a low soft pillow which just supports my neck, so my spine is pretty aligned.

But it might be a few things which bother you: if you get breathing difficulties, sleep apnea, or acid reflux, that position won't be nice. In which case, elevating the head of the bed to suit you can often help.
It can depend on what medical conditions you have, as to whether sleeping on your back is uncomfortable or painful.

Raising the head of the bed can be done the cheap way with old books, perhaps those you don't particularly like....such as heavy old encylopedias! (good use for them!) or cinder blocks etc. if you don't have an adjustable bed.

Or it could be caused by the type of mattress you have?

Or maybe you're just not a "back sleeper". Some people, whether ill or well, are not comfortable that way.

I hope you figure something out and get a more restful sleep. And if anyone has any good suggestions that are helpful?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I can't sleep on my back either but it's because of my bladder however, whenever I've tried it, I find it feels better for my back if I put a pillow under my knees.

For side sleeping, perhaps using an orthopedic pillow that keeps your head in alignment with you spine while you sleep would help alleviate the neck ache in the morning.
This is the only pillow I can sleep comfortably on. Just a thought though everyone is different.

For stomach sleeping I've included a picture from Overcoming Back and Neck Pain by Lisa Morrone. She's a physical therapist and she gives a modified stomach sleeping position.

I also included a second photo for back sleeping head position.

Hope these will help some.

Attachments

• New pictures on iphone 060919 005.JPG
    New pictures on iphone 060919 005.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • New pictures on iphone 060919 006.JPG
    New pictures on iphone 060919 006.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
Last edited: