• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hands numb for 2 months...why?

CAcfs

So I have been getting this everyday, it feels like the are half "asleep" like what can happen with the feet. I do get it sometimes in the feet too, but pretty rarely, but still more often since this hand thing has been going on.

Honestly, I was afraid to go to doctor about it because I was worried they would tell me I have multiple sclerosis, give me tons of scans, etc etc.....was hoping it would get better on its own but it's not, it's getting worse. I can feel with them, but they feel numb-ish, like reduced sensation that I am always aware of.

Sooooo I was watching The Dr. Oz show and he said that numb hands is a HUGE tip off of low B12. I was like, "Bingo!" However, I do B12 sublinguals very often....sometimes I skip, but still.....I do methyl and also hydorxy, and sometimes adeno.

So I am wondering if they aren't really getting in sublingually, and maybe most of the benefit is through stomach, but something's wrong with my stomach??? Like intrinsic factor deficiency? Or just overall lack of stomach acid? What is most likely? I am only 28 years old, so I am not at the age yet where it's common to see very low stomach acid. But anyways, what are your thoughts? I am gonna go to doctor and ask for B12 shots, no matter what my test results say. About 6 months ago, blood tests for B12 were fine!

I also have lip chelitis which is peeling of the lips, can be caused by any number of vit deficiencies, but now I'm thinking maybe it's lack of B12 causing it. I take folate too......oh, and Dr. Oz also said in the show that one cause of lack of B12 is that you take TOO MUCH folate daily, like more than 1000 mg per day. I am wondering if that is my mistake? Because I take a multi and sometimes I'll throw in the metafolin, and sometimes I'll take Jarrow's B Right....maybe I accidentally get too much folate. Thoughts?

edit...so what i am reading online is that too much folate is moreso a mask in bloodwork of low b12, because can prevent anemia when in fact the low b12 should be causing it.....so i dunno if too much folate is an issue or not? confused. But because of the numbness, I am thinking that no matter what boodwork says, i must not be getting enough B12? the question is, WHY am i not getting enough B12? and this is serious...if it continues longer, my myelin will start getting damaged irreversibly......my hands have been numb for 2 months, which is bad!!!! The damage can become permanent!!!! :(

CAcfs

One of the members here just told me that she was getting really dehydrated from too much B12 and her eyes would get dry.....I have both of those symptoms......really confused if I need more b12 or less.

rlc

Hi CAcfs, I recommend that you go to your doctor there are a lot of possible causes of hand numbness, your doctor can tests both your B12 and folate levels get them to check homocysteine as well. Folate only masks the changes in blood cells caused by B12 deficiency; it won’t affect your B12 test results.

Other causes of numb hands are listed here http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/symptoms/hand_numbness/causes.htm

These include diseases like Diabetes and lupus; diabetes would also fit with your increased dehydration. Get your doctor to tests for all the possibilities that fit your symptoms on the list in the link and hopefully they will find the cause of the problem.

Hope this helps

All the best

Gavman

I upped my cyanocobalamin and took maybe 3/4rs folic acid. Split them up into a couple of times a day. 2 b12, 1/4 folic acid. My body is so warm. I'm unsure on the methyl b12 right now. My serum b12 and folate were both high. Got an organic acids test coming. Hope its helpful. Oh and keep potassium up too.

CAcfs

Gavman, can low postassium cause numb hands? I do take electrolytes throughout day though, so I'm getting it there. And I eat plenty of veggies/fruits.

I don't have diabetes, have been tested recently, supposedly not even close. I also supposedly don't have lupus; doctors always think I have it, but then my ANA will be neg.

Right now I'm thinking low B12 is most likely....but I'm assuming my blood levels will be fine, so wondering if it's possible to not be getting it on a neuro level, even though there is enough in blood???? I figured that was the question to ask you guys. Maybe I'll repost in the B12 area. I think ruling out other reasons for numb hands will be a long process, so I am dreading that, and I don't even know if I'll believe whatever they tell me I have, because I have been told I have so many random, ill-defined syndromes that turn out to be a shot in the dark by desperate doctors.

Gavman

Yeah my serum (blood) is high for b12. Organic acids testing seems like a vital step in figuring out the puzzle of whats going on, it is a good indicator of b12 and b6 levels. Have a look into that? Might be your next step.

taniaaust1

I havent seen much about it for a while but there used to be talk about intracellular deficiencies of B12 which go on in ME and hence those common blood tests may not be reliable.

CAcfs...I have the same symptoms, but they started AFTER I had been taking B12 injections for 4 months. Had folate, B12, and homocysteine levels checked...they were all on the high end. And since the blood tests didn't show anything, my doc decides it must be anxiety!! Isn't that always their answer?! Sorry I can't help you. If I figure something out, I will let you know.

CAcfs

Thanks for the replies. Thanks alwayshopeful; yes, please let me know! I recently read in a random health forum that numb hands can be low blood calcium, which I believe can happen with parathyroid issues? Last time I had bloodwork my calcium was normal, but I think this is another thing I am going to ask my doctor about......it is just a matter of getting to doctor, with the fatigue. I will get some of these questions answered (B12, calcium) then go from there I suppose. It IS scary though, having this symptom all the time....you worry about nerve damage, etc. :(

taniaaust1

CAcfs...I have the same symptoms, but they started AFTER I had been taking B12 injections for 4 months. Had folate, B12, and homocysteine levels checked...they were all on the high end. And since the blood tests didn't show anything, my doc decides it must be anxiety!! Isn't that always their answer?! Sorry I can't help you. If I figure something out, I will let you know.

There is an illness or something which actually does cause high B12 levels.. I was reading about it only a couple of days ago (unfortunately due to my memory issues, I forgot now what it was).

hurtingallthetimet

hello, great info...i have siatcia nerve damage pain and causes numbness down left leg but sometimes my arms will go numb too...it drives me crazy..i didnt see the dr. oz you spoke of but very interesting...thanks for sharing

Shell

The ends of my fingers are pretty numb and sometimes the back of my right hand goes numb. I assume the finger end thing is to do with reynaulds which i get really badly in the winter - or when I've been diving about in the freezer.
Don't know about B12 as I am under the NHS - if it aint a routine blood you don't get it done.
Hope you find some answers.
So often we are trying a pick'n'mix approach to these symtoms because we just dont have access to the information we need to decide what we really need to do.

Wonko

AFAIK from personal research done when I had numb hands/fingers the nerve damage caused by long term insufficient B12 will at first cause only numbness in the little fingers, half the next finger and associated part of hand. It's just the nerve that affects sensation from that region is affected first. If your whole hand is affected and it hasnt gone through that intermediary stage it may not be B12 deficiency thats the issue.