• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hair Mineral Testing

I did have good results. I had just had lead show up on my hair test and had raised liver enzymes on the tests my MD did for the first time when Dog Person showed up. On my next tests after starting the B2 protocol my iron was up, my zinc was up, my lead was gone, and my liver enzymes were normal. The zinc, lead, and liver have continued to be OK, but the couple of times I have run out of some of the B2 protocol supplements, my iron has gone down. It comes back up when I get back with the program.

I haven't checked in a while, so I just did a search and could not find any publication. Her website that I knew about is not longer there.

I can send you my notes, which are sort of a condensed summary, in a conversation (what we call a private message) if you would like.

Wow, okay this really sounds promising!! Please do send them. I would like to find a way to get the lead out of my system without having to do chelation, so that is amazing if B2 helps with that. I will share this info with my friend who has CFS - similar results, and her liver enzymes were also out of whack with no explanation so far. Did you have CFS as well?

Is there a preferable type of B2 or is any brand okay?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I do have CFS. I am assuming the B2 deficiency is independent of the CFS, but I don't really know. "I don't really know" could be the refrain of people with CFS.

I think any reputable brand of B2 is OK.

CCC

I do have CFS. I am assuming the B2 deficiency is independent of the CFS, but I don't really know. "I don't really know" could be the refrain of people with CFS.

I think any reputable brand of B2 is OK.

I think a riboflavin (b2) deficiency might have contributed to the worsening of our ME/CFS. And this is the likely reason (source):
upload_2016-8-8_20-57-31.png

A lack of B2 affects both the Krebs cycle (where succinate would otherwise be converted to fumarate) and the electron chain in ATP energy production.

We also needed the source naturals FMN until very recently. Taking B2 in any other form (as riboflavin or r5p) wasn't enough. The only trick is to not take more than 25 mg in a single dose - but you can take several doses a day if your body needs it.

Avengers26

@CCC I was of the understanding that R5P [not riboflavin] & FMN are the same thing but you are saying you didn't tolerate R5P [or it didn't work for you] but FMN did. Are you sure it was R5P & not riboflavin?

Little Bluestem

@CCC - Do you think the ME/CFS could cause B2 deficiency? Is it 'part of' the ME/CFS or just something else that comes along and makes us feel worse?

CCC

@CCC I was of the understanding that R5P [not riboflavin] & FMN are the same thing but you are saying you didn't tolerate R5P [or it didn't work for you] but FMN did. Are you sure it was R5P & not riboflavin?

According the the various bottles, we've tried all three. Only the sublingual source naturals FMN has the desired effect. Being sublingual, of course, it's almost instant. @ahmo had the same experience, and it was her report that led us to try it.

A quick google shows that you are right. Everywhere I look has r5p and FMN as synonyms (the same thing).

Regardless, our experience stands. For some reason the source naturals FMN is far superior to any other form or way of taking riboflavin.

@CCC - Do you think the ME/CFS could cause B2 deficiency? Is it 'part of' the ME/CFS or just something else that comes along and makes us feel worse?

I am convinced the b2 deficiency was a major cause in our case. But we had an OAT test that showed a definite blockage at the succinate dehydrogenase point of the krebs cycle (it's shown as complex II in the diagram I posted above).

The b12 oils guy believes CFS is a combination of a b12 and b2 deficiency, which certainly seems true in our case. Be aware, though, that the B12 oils guy has only a self-selected sample of people who need his b12 oil. So he's dealing with a subset of ME/CFS. That's fine, by the way. If ME/CFS were all diagnosed subsets, then we'd have no ME/CFS at all!

As for how the deficiency came to be, that would be the subject of wild speculation.

Avengers26

I still can't tolerate beyond the tiniest amounts of B2, despite repeated attempts. I take R5P. I haven't tried FMN. I don't want to go overboard & will start a separate topic on it.

Little Bluestem

@Avengers26 - have you tried manganese? If you are low on manganese, the endoplasmic reticulum will not function. The endoplasmic reticulum make all sorts of things including the iron carrier protein that includes B2.

Avengers26

@Little Bluestem I tried it for only a few days in the past. It made me tired & foggy. I also wasn't comfortable with the fact that it' seems it's easy to get manganese toxicity. So, I instead, decided to keep it's intake through diet only. I do find your comments on Manganese & ER functioning interesting. I didn't know that.

Little Bluestem

@Avengers26 - If you ever try manganese again, you should start with a really small dose. Christine prefers people to start with a liquid Mn, so that they can take tiny doses several times/day.

I live in a very rural area and could not get it, so I started with 0.5 mg 3 times/day. I am now taking 2 mg 4 times/day. At one time I had worked up to 8 mg 2 times/day and I was getting discomfort in the area of my liver.

Little Bluestem

@Avengers26 - The starting point of Christine's protocol is B1, B2, and manganese. While I do not find anything in my notes about B1 being needed by the ER, it would probably be a good idea to have it on board if you try manganese again.

Little Bluestem

No explanation. Have you been taking a lot of potassium, especially potassium chloride, and/or salt? My hair test does not show chloride. It does show sodium and I know that it and potassium move together. Maybe potassium and chloride do too.

@Little Bluestem some time before was period when i want to eat a lot of salt for weeks or so for some reason, i don't know why. Also i had Mg+K infusions 4 months before at the hospital. Yes, chloride comes with salt too as i know. I just wondering why almost all primary elements is low.

Little Bluestem

I do not know. When I started mineral testing, 6 of my primary elements were low. A couple more were lowish. My dietitian does not know anything about ME/CFS, so it got worse before it got better. The B2 protocol recommended on this thread and transdermal B12 seemed to have helped.

I am very interesting to see hair test results of CFS diagnosed people. If anyone has done this testing, please list the lab that you had the testing done at, date and year, and the values for the minerals, calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, iron, copper, zinc, manganese, selenium, chromium, molybdenum, lithium and cobalt and the metals of lead, mercury, cadmium, arsenic, aluminum and nickel nickel. Please list the reference type such as mg% or mcg/g, etc.

I would like to combine the results in a database to see if there is a strong correlation between people with this illness. Then I will let you know my observations.

Thank you
Hi,
I am dealing many health issues and thinking of doing hair mineral test, I would like to know what lab people are using? is there any lab better than the other?
Thanks

Little Bluestem

Some labs are good and some are not. I am away from home for a few days. I have the names of a couple of the dependable ones at home. If no else has answered by the time I get home, I will post them.

Some labs are good and some are not. I am away from home for a few days. I have the names of a couple of the dependable ones at home. If no else has answered by the time I get home, I will post them.

Hi,
I was wondering If you are back and could share some information on HMT labs? Thanks.