• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Had third round of Covid vaccine (Moderna). Feel relieved.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
@Rebeccare It is currently available in Massachusetts. I got a letter from Dana Farber saying to just go get one and tell them I'm immuunocompromised, And I have two elderly neighbors who got them at CVS and Shaw's respectively.
This brings us to the million dollar question: are people with ME/CFS (but no history of other health issues) immunocompromised?? I know that you don't need any proof of being immunocompromised--all you need to do is attest to it. But even though I would love a booster I don't want to get it in a way that would make me feel like I was gaming the system--a letter from Dana Farber would go a long way towards assuaging any guilt!

Like you, I got my second vaccine in mid-April--I was eligible at that time because I teach. I'll be interested to hear what your doctor says about a third dose. I remember reading somewhere (I don't remember where) that people can get boosters as long as it has been 28 since their second dose. Although it sounds like public health officials now are planning for people to receive boosters 8 months after their second shots.

One thing I'll be interested to learn is whether it seems like a couple of boosts will give us all of the protection we need, or if we're going to need annual-ish boosters.

@TiredBill Thank you for sharing about this. Can you tell us when your first and second doses were, in comparison to the third?
@TiredBill , I think Learner1 was asking about the timing of your doses. When did you receive your second shot?

TiredBill

This brings us to the million dollar question: are people with ME/CFS (but no history of other health issues) immunocompromised?? I know that you don't need any proof of being immunocompromised--all you need to do is attest to it. But even though I would love a booster I don't want to get it in a way that would make me feel like I was gaming the system--a letter from Dana Farber would go a long way towards assuaging any guilt!

Like you, I got my second vaccine in mid-April--I was eligible at that time because I teach. I'll be interested to hear what your doctor says about a third dose. I remember reading somewhere (I don't remember where) that people can get boosters as long as it has been 28 since their second dose. Although it sounds like public health officials now are planning for people to receive boosters 8 months after their second shots.

One thing I'll be interested to learn is whether it seems like a couple of boosts will give us all of the protection we need, or if we're going to need annual-ish boosters.

@TiredBill , I think Learner1 was asking about the timing of your doses. When did you receive your second shot?

My second dose was April 12 (one month after getting first). Third shot was August 16 (just over 4 months).

That spacing might have been "early" under different circumstances, but my risk factors changed drastically when schools reopened.

I don't think 8 months will be the new recommendations as there have been too many breakthroughs. Looks like that will be revised to 5-6 months here in the USA. I believe Israel is doing 5.

As to getting shots, I went to two pharmacies. At both I truthfully said I'm diagnosed with ME/CFS (ETA: I actually said "myalgic encephalomyelitis" figuring it couldn't hurt. LOL) . The first essentially said, "not on our list," while the second said "roll up your sleeve."

In a situation where doses are going unused, where we have a pretty devastating post-viral illness that mirrors Long Covid, and where a breakthrough cases are taking place so I could potentially infect others if I got sick, my ethical judgement was to act. I not only don't feel a sense of guilt, but--rather--feel I acted to protect my life and the lives of others.

Bill

Last edited:

TiredBill

So as I feared would be the case, we just got word that a child in my wife's class who came to school with a fever tested positive for Covid today. Ugg.

I'm very glad I took the bull by the horns and got third shots for us both. Hopefully we acted in time.

Please be very careful people. Avoiding exposure to Delta is going to prove almost impossible. This is not like the first wave in terms of contagion.

Protect yourselves. Protect others. Passing a virus that appears to cause ME/CFS or something quite similar is something to avoid.

Bill

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Moderna shot #2 sent me into a dreadful flare, from fully recovered straight back into to brain fog / fatigue / PEM. The flare has been going on for about 20 days post-vax. I have been taking antihistamines and supplements for damage control. I have started taking LDN, which has reduced neuroinflamation for me in the past, and I'm hoping to get my stamina and sharpness back soon!

hapl808

What did you notice about LDN in the past? I've taken it before and never noticed much, but I feel like I get more mental triggered PEM lately and more brain fog and 'pressure' type headaches, so wondering if LDN might be more helpful now.

TiredBill

So as I feared would be the case, we just got word that a child in my wife's class who came to school with a fever tested positive for Covid today. Ugg.

I'm very glad I took the bull by the horns and got third shots for us both. Hopefully we acted in time.

Please be very careful people. Avoiding exposure to Delta is going to prove almost impossible. This is not like the first wave in terms of contagion.

Protect yourselves. Protect others. Passing a virus that appears to cause ME/CFS or something quite similar is something to avoid.

Bill

Sorry to quote myself, but today my wife got the devastating news that father of the boy in her class who I mentioned above died from Covid today.

He was young, trim, seemed healthy, and was a very nice man from what I'm told.

Unfortunately he was not vaccinated. He perished, leaving his beautiful sweet wife on her own to rise two sons, one with profound autism.

It has been a sad day in our home.

Bill

maddietod

I got my 3rd Moderna shot last month, 5 months after my 2nd one. I made an appointment at CVS and said I had an auto-immune disease. I had the same reaction to all 3 shots -a fever over 100 and needing tylenol around the clock for a day or two, This 3rd shot was different in that it gave me a significant energy boost for almost 2 weeks, starting about a week after the shot. I'm just about back to my pre-shot normal, now.

Sorry to quote myself, but today my wife got the devastating news that father of the boy in her class who I mentioned above died from Covid today.

He was young, trim, seemed healthy, and was a very nice man from what I'm told.

Unfortunately he was not vaccinated. He perished, leaving his beautiful sweet wife on her own to rise two sons, one with profound autism.

It has been a sad day in our home.

Bill

wow, that’s so sad :(

I got my 3rd Moderna shot last month, 5 months after my 2nd one. I made an appointment at CVS and said I had an auto-immune disease. I had the same reaction to all 3 shots -a fever over 100 and needing tylenol around the clock for a day or two, This 3rd shot was different in that it gave me a significant energy boost for almost 2 weeks, starting about a week after the shot. I'm just about back to my pre-shot normal, now.

is 5 months enough time though for the body to absorb the first 2? I’ve been reading about 6 months, but not less than that. I’ve heard there has to be a period of time between the 2nd and 3rd shots for maximum effectiveness. Worried about jumping the gun.

maddietod

It's very complicated, right? Some people emphasize having the highest immunity at all times, and at the other end are people trying to distribute limited vaccine equitably. We have to read between the lines and decide what to believe. I decided to go with the research out of Israel that shows efficacy dropping at 5 months. I'm taking a 9 hour train trip in 2 weeks to finally see my 1 year old grandsons, and I decided that this choice would protect all of us the best.

@PatientlyWaiting, according to the article below, the FDA has yet to approve a third "booster" vaccination. The suggestion being put forward is for an 8 month gap between 2nd and 3rd shots:

Right, but is the 8 month gap in the interest of the individual or considering rationing and distribution of the vaccines?

Of course, being fair and honest is a concern for me as well. Yes it's a balance and a lot of scary unknowns.

2Cor.12:19

I got my third dose of Moderna last Thursday (September 16th). My 2nd dose was March 30- so a little over 5 months. We got them at our doctor’s office and had to sign an informed consent paper. Side effects were the same as the second shot. Felt flu like lousy for about 36 hrs and then suddenly back to normal. It’s funny because my husband’s side effects were identical right down to the minute and he’s heathy as a horse.
I’m glad I got it.