• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ground moving Sensation/Vibrating

Hi guys,

I have been dealing with health issues for 7 years, but in March I started having some new symptoms that I had never had before, this strange closing throat sensation, and internal vibrations, along with feeling like the floor is moving. This isn't vertigo, and if it is it hasn't ever felt like this. It legit feels like the ground is being pushed from side to side below me almost like in one of those fun houses at the amusement parks with the moving floors, and it feels like the same inside me. It is the weirdest sensation and has been terrifying me. I was diagnosed with CIRS but this new stuff only started recently. My house had mold and I ended up moving and my new house doesn't have mold growth after testing, yet these symptoms persist. I am starting to get really concerned it is something really serious and neurological, but my doctors just think it is residue toxins circulating. Has anyone else had this?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
This isn't vertigo, and if it is it hasn't ever felt like this. It legit feels like the ground is being pushed from side to side below me almost like in one of those fun houses at the amusement parks with the moving floors, and it feels like the same inside me. It is the weirdest sensation and has been terrifying me.

I had that for about a week, five years ago. During that week it felt like the floor/ground was soft and bouncy like a trampoline. I would have expected to feel nauseous from the strange sensation but I didn't have any nausea. After the week I had a major crash and the problem disappeared but I became worse in other ways (that I don't remember at the moment). The upside of the crash was that I realized I needed to be lying down a lot more during the day due to orthostatic intolerance.

but my doctors just think it is residue toxins circulating

Have you tried something like activated charcoal or other absorber or adsorber to see if it helps, just in case this is some effect caused by toxins in the gut?

Another idea is that it might be related to neuroinflammation or a migraine-type effect. Sometimes people experiencing migraine will have very altered perceptions.

Wishful

I believe that ME causes alterations in neural function in various parts of the brain. Since everything we feel involves neural signals, any changes in neural responses can cause unusual sensations. This could also affect signals travelling to muscles and the feedback from them, which could explain the feelings you have. Since PatJ had the same symptom, it seems reasonable that it's an ME symptom. My guess is that it's caused by an unlucky accident, and it's cured by a lucky accident. Kind of a useless observation, but that's just how it is.

but my doctors just think it is residue toxins circulating.

To me that sounds like your doctors have no idea of what else to try, so they're giving you a meaningless diagnose that can't be proven wrong--unless there's a way to measure 'circulating residue toxins' and they're not doing that test.

I haven't studied CIRS. Is there a temporary treatment such as prednisone that works for it? Even if it's just a temporary treatment, it would at least test the theory so that you'd know whether to pursue that line of treatments or look for a different theory.

I believe that ME causes alterations in neural function in various parts of the brain. Since everything we feel involves neural signals, any changes in neural responses can cause unusual sensations. This could also affect signals travelling to muscles and the feedback from them, which could explain the feelings you have. Since PatJ had the same symptom, it seems reasonable that it's an ME symptom. My guess is that it's caused by an unlucky accident, and it's cured by a lucky accident. Kind of a useless observation, but that's just how it is.

To me that sounds like your doctors have no idea of what else to try, so they're giving you a meaningless diagnose that can't be proven wrong--unless there's a way to measure 'circulating residue toxins' and they're not doing that test.

I haven't studied CIRS. Is there a temporary treatment such as prednisone that works for it? Even if it's just a temporary treatment, it would at least test the theory so that you'd know whether to pursue that line of treatments or look for a different theory.

I actually started seeing another doctor as I wasn't impressed by my last. He has looked into a lot of stuff and we did find some issues like extremely low vitamins and some fungal and bacteria overgrowth, but I am being hopeful thinking simple things like that can fix this issue when corrected.

I had that for about a week, five years ago. During that week it felt like the floor/ground was soft and bouncy like a trampoline. I would have expected to feel nauseous from the strange sensation but I didn't have any nausea. After the week I had a major crash and the problem disappeared but I became worse in other ways (that I don't remember at the moment). The upside of the crash was that I realized I needed to be lying down a lot more during the day due to orthostatic intolerance.

Have you tried something like activated charcoal or other absorber or adsorber to see if it helps, just in case this is some effect caused by toxins in the gut?

Another idea is that it might be related to neuroinflammation or a migraine-type effect. Sometimes people experiencing migraine will have very altered perceptions.

I did welchol for about 9 months per the Shoemaker protocol, and it didn't do a thing for me. Lots of inconsistencies with all of this. I know Neil Nathan believes certain binders remove certain mycotoxin groups.

Tammy

Since CFS, I've had a couple of episodes where it felt like the ground was moving from side to side and also felt like the ground was elevating..........like it was moving upwards.

JadeD

I get this sensation as part of my orthostatic intolerance/PoTS like the ground is moving when I’m standing or walking. It’s a lot worse in PEM. If I’ve had a lot of sleep deprivation and consequently in bad PEM I have experienced this not standing but just laying down on occasion. I know what a horrible feeling it is.

HABS93

I actually started seeing another doctor as I wasn't impressed by my last. He has looked into a lot of stuff and we did find some issues like extremely low vitamins and some fungal and bacteria overgrowth, but I am being hopeful thinking simple things like that can fix this issue when corrected.
Did you find any answers?

hb8847

nternal vibrations, along with feeling like the floor is moving. This isn't vertigo, and if it is it hasn't ever felt like this. It legit feels like the ground is being pushed from side to side below me almost like in one of those fun houses at the amusement parks with the moving floors, and it feels like the same inside me. It is the weirdest sensation and has been terrifying me.

In case it helps anyone, I get this, and in my case I'm pretty sure it's related to Mast Cell Activation Syndrome, which is itself a commonly associated with mould.

In my case the dizziness only comes on sporadically but when it does it feels like I'm in an earthquake with the floor moving.

Of course I can't be sure what causes it (I have numerous other symptoms, some psychological and neurological), but I've been formally diagnosed with MCAS, high mycotoxins, and gut dysbiosis, so if you too get this sort of dizziness this might be a good place to start.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I did have this recently...like inner tremors but it was after I started taking Otoba bark. I have a feeling that is a very strong herbal. I had to stop it though...

Wow it was just too strong. I still have some aftershock reverbs going on but not as much as when I was on it.

Azayliah

I may have something like this. Sometimes when I stand suddenly, turn my head (whether upright or supine), or if I look down over the railing of my balcony (from a 2nd floor apartment), it induces vertigo/disequilibrium and the world seems to tilt, wobble, or spin around me. Visual and walking issues and a sensitivity to internal & external vibrations make my experience more intense, maybe more frequent. Sometimes vertigo is accompanied by a kind of whooshing or lurching sensation around my heart area, so I suspect some link to heart issues or stress.

Long before this all became a chronic thing, there was a year or so where I experienced symptoms that may have been related. If I looked at the horizon and it was tilted, I would tilt to match it, so I had to fight to not topple over when walking. Sensitivity to vibrations became nearly intolerable, and since there are many sources of vibrations I was constantly nauseous. I felt motion sickness from riding in a car or an elevator, and looking at patterns became very uncomfortable. I began showing heart issues around this time. As I do now, I felt a choking sensation around my throat and there were times I couldn't stop noticing the feeling that my heart was pounding. Unlike now, I do not recall having internal vibrations.

I don't know if any of that matches your experience, but I was working at a medical lab when these symptoms occurred, making it possible that chemicals or mold were linked to the onset. Tests for infections, deficiencies, vestibular and neurological issues all came back negative. I also have chronic migraines... they likely started in childhood, as I've had lifelong encounters with dissociation and Alice in Wonderland syndrome stuff ...and the symptoms I had while at the lab can be caused by migraines--but I wasn't getting migraine pain at the lab.

About a year after being out of the medical lab, the symptoms mostly clear up. Then, I moved to an apartment that may have had mold issues and took art classes (paint = more chemicals) and got sick again, but not with the same symptoms I'd had while in the lab. I should also mention that my strangulation issues are more intense if I've had an unpleasant experience with food, and my current disequilibrium and hypersensitivity to both external and internal vibrations issues worsened after an earthquake hit my area last year. It's not that I'm consciously always waiting for another earthquake, but I notice my environment's movements more and literally can't tell at times if the ground is moving (this is apparently a very common response people have to earthquakes). So, it's possible that a physical experience your body had could have led to some of your symptoms, too.