• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Great Reading of the Tao Te Ching

YippeeKi YOW !!

But pre christian gods were very human and fallible--so i don't rhink it takes Him out of the realm of godhood as much as places him in the same playing field as pagan gods.
But the whole point of Christianity was to take the entire pantheon of Pagan Gods and roll them into the tidy package of the One Christian God. Underlining Christian. He was above all that, Greater Than as it were, and his virtues, at least in the New Testament, were the exact opposite of the many wildly varied character flaws of the Greco-Roman pantheon.
I mean Zeus committed sexual assault essentially. And all of the greek gods were very full of negative human traits
And his wife Hera took her vengeance, not on the philandering husband, but on the hapless rape victims, turning them into spiders and such. Medusa was created after a God-rape. I could go on and on, Greek and Roman mythology have been a source of fascination and hobbies of mine for years.

I find the Pagan Greco-Roman Gods so much more interesting than our somewhat dull Christian concept. Even the Roman holidays that we stole are duller than the originals they're modeled after..... and yes, every Greco-Roman God was rife with very human, very flawed character traits, as were to a lesser degree the demi-Gods, often produced by God-rape.

The Greeks modeled their Gods on humans, the opposite of Christianity, where man is created in God's image, and the entire pantheon is a deep, brilliant study of the psychology of the human mind and psyche. We get many of our psychological terms from them. Narcissus, pining away into death while gazing in adoration at his own reflection, gave us narcissism. Oedipus, tho not a God, was still a Greek, and he gave us the Oedipal complex, and thru his daughter, the Electra complex.

I could go on and on, as I said above, but I think I already have.

Apologies :oops::oops: :):) :hug: ..... stay better !!!

Last edited:

frozenborderline

But the whole point of Christianity was to take the entire pantheon of Pagan Gods and roll them into the tidy package of the One Christian God. Underlining Christian. He was above all that, Greater Than as it were, and his virtues, at least in the New Testament, were the exact opposite of the many wildly varied character flaws of the Greco-Roman pantheon.
I agrre- in that sense jung was subverting standard Christian values but I'm just saying that he wasnt necessarily Taking god out of the realm of godhood but placing him in a different kind of realm of godhood that the pre Christian gods were in. Which is a subversion but doesn't mean he was taking God entirely out of the realm of godhood. Just out of the monotheistic realm perhaps.