• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good discussion on CFS

Mary

Moderator Resource
@renski - I just looked at this very briefly, and afraid I was bothered because "Dr. Jill" keeps referring over and over to "chronic fatigue".

However, I fast forwarded a bit through the video and in the part I landed on Dr. Parpia is talking about peptides she uses, some of the same ones I've seen mentioned on PR (earlier she had been talking about toxic load) so she sounded a bit more knowledgeable than "Dr. Jill" (I don't like when doctors use their first name only! )

I think I will come back to this and watch the whole thing, it looks like it might be very worthwhile listening to Dr. Parpia, and just ignore "Dr. Jill"!

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary: Bit harsh, she is a good doctor afaik, at least better than the typical/useless MD.
You know what, I think you're right, I was a bit harsh. I think it was the combination of her constantly referring to "chronic fatigue" and "Dr. Jill" which got to me, and I was tired. But I really don't know anything about her apart from those 2 things, and she very well could be a good doctor -- my apologies --

Rufous McKinney

Doctorate of Naturopathic Medicine, Bastyr University, 2012

Anyone?

Well, thats a college in San Diego: described briefly online as follows-

Bastyr is a fantastic science-based institution for alternative medicine! The professors and degree programs are top-notch! My only criticism is with the offices (like financial, IT, admissions), you really have to advocate for yourself to get things done.

Sounds like they can write Prescriptions....And sounds like alot of training thats probably very good. Like nutritional support.

Sledgehammer

Well, thats a college in San Diego: described briefly online as follows-

Bastyr is a fantastic science-based institution for alternative medicine! The professors and degree programs are top-notch! My only criticism is with the offices (like financial, IT, admissions), you really have to advocate for yourself to get things done.

Sounds like they can write Prescriptions....And sounds like alot of training thats probably very good. Like nutritional support.

Thanks for educating me. I had no idea because we don't have anything like that in Blighty.
Alternative meds are good. I mean if they work that is. What I have seen are more of the alternative meds gang wanting to get their feet in the NHS door. Mary-Joanna for sleep issues is just one that is being looked at.

Learner1

I knew nothing about Dr. Parpia. But looking at her bio, she has trained with some good people and works at the Gordon Clinic.

As for Bastyr, I've been helped by some excellent Bastyr trained naturopathic doctors. Bastyr University is based in Seattle, WA and has a branch in the San Diego area. Their curriculum is based in evidence based science. The doctors I've known have been well versed in pharmaceuticals, nutrients, botanicals and other modalities, like ozone.

Jill Carnahan is a reputable doctor.