• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

God said "Ha!"

K

_Kim_

I just enjoyed watching Julia Sweeney's God Said "Ha!" monologue on HULU. Below is a review that describes it well.

Filmed version of comedy performer Julia Sweeney's monologue where she describes the circumstances of her life in the 1990's where her beloved brother Mike was diagnosed with cancer and he and various other family members moved into her home.

Ms. Sweeney strikes a beautiful balance between delivering laughs and being serious. She is bright, articulate, genial, and creates loving portraits of the people in her life. Listening to her tell these stories, I feel like I am really getting to know these people.

Her delivery is always right on the money when she is telling one of the funnier stories. When it's time for her to recount the more painful memories of this time in her life, the effect is heart-wrenching. I feel genuine sympathy for her and her family and the sadness is profound.

Ultimately, this little film rests entirely on her ability to engage viewer emotions and tell these interesting stories. It's really a pleasure to watch this because I really feel like I am in some way becoming acquainted with her and sharing her experiences.

Even after learning that she had developed a rare form of cervical cancer herself, she couldn't let it devastate her. She still had her brother to take care of during his last days, and ultimately, did what had to be done. Life went on for her, as it does for all of us.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
loved it

I LOVED this movie when I saw it several years ago. I think the reviewer got it right. It's great that it can be watched on Hulu. I plan on watching it again soon.

K

_Kim_

Gracenote, Catch it while you can. Hulu lists that the film is going to expire in 7 days.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
Julia Sweeney and XMRV

Here's a 15 minute exerpt Julia Sweeney performed as a TED talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtIyx687ytk&feature=related

Thanks, Koan. I just watched it. That was fun. I'm cheerfully smiling!

Imagine Julia Sweeney describing the history of ME/CFS and XMRV and Reeves and Wessely and all the latest "experts" expressing "caution" with her same incredulous tone. Now THAT would be something we'd finally be able to laugh about it all.

MEKoan

We laught about it Gracenote. There's a lot of laughter in the lounge.

It's just that we forget!

:D

K

_Kim_

Thanks so much, Kim! I love Julia Sweeney and I love God Said "Ha!".

Another great Kim catch!

peace out

ETA Unfortunately Hulu is only for those in the US. But, here's a 15 minute exerpt Julia Sweeney performed as a TED talk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =OtIyx687ytk&feature=related

Thanks Koan, thanks - enjoyed that a bunch. I laughed hard at the part about Julia being devastated that her mother had been lying to her about her birthday and she realized she was a Libra, not a Virgo. And she had that big Virgo poster on her wall. And the daily horoscopes for Virgo's had been so "on".

andreamarie

I've seen it many times. It was very close to home for me. My brother was dying of leukemia when I was critically ill in another state with Crohn's disease.I'm Jewish but there was a confused priest who came in to give me the last rites (don't ask.) I never got to say goodbye. Then twenty five years later, my cousin, who took over my brother's role, told me he was HIV positive. He told no one else in the family, not even his own brother. I was struggling with interstitia cystitis, but fortunately the CFS hadn't hit, so I could be there for him. He was living in Ct. and I live in MA and I was so afraid I wouldn't get to say goodbye again. But sometimes you just know things. He was supposed to live another six months but I woke up one morning, called my hairdresser, put on a pretty dress and jumped on a train. He was in the hospital for a treatment and I sat with him and watched the sunset. He died that night. The first time I watched it I had no idea why I was crying so hard because she was so funny. She is very gifted.