• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

God Help Us!

Wolfcub

Well....it strikes me this is focusing on the same old options.
Scans, invasive tests (probably even inappropriate ones "just to be on the safe side"), more scans, MRIs....yada yada....
OR when they show up nothing....psychiatry.
Easy! You have unresolved traumas! Problem solved,
What about those who weren't abused as kids, who lived good lives, and things weren't so bad considering, but who still got very ill?

And who in this life doesn't have some level of traumatic experience, and yet who doesn't go on to develop chronic illness? (especially following a viral infection!)

What about the other option, and that is the one where there is something physically wrong and the doctors simply haven't got the knowledge, done enough research, don't have the time, or lack funding??
Or the patient has a condition that baffles medical science now but maybe won't in another 100 years?

Sure it never helps an illness if there is also emotional pain, so it's good to get help for that too.

But hopefully this approach won't cause doctors to create an even wider divide between body and mind in the health service.
"Oh we have this magic for you! Go and thrash out your traumas with a tough love psychiatrist and your medical issue will be solved!"

xcell

Always looking for new knowledge and options!
Last edited:

Wolfcub

I noticed that doctor (psychiatrist) keeps an eye open for anyone who has a physical (i.e."real") illness...for instance one with developing pneumonia, and another with a condition (I have forgotten what now.) And they were referred back for further testing/treatment.

Well that's all good so long as their illness falls in the parameters of what can currently be diagnosed, labelled and treated. So what about those who have a disease medical science is as yet ignorant about? (frequently because research costs MONEY!)

This method may well help some people, and I hope it does. But it seems to me to be throwing ME/CFS and other "mystery" illnesses back into the old "hysteria" theory!

Wolfcub

Yes. For HIV.
Now I am jolly glad HIV receives funding. It must be no fun having that or AIDS.
But....for the poor unlabelled ones with something else....a very meagre budget indeed.

jesse's mom

:mad::cry::cry:

Barely getting any diagnosis in my area, I hope my PCP doesn't go back to that old thinking!
I have been sick for a long time, and did have to go to psychiatry and counseling to get my Drs to start believing me.

It is hard to go from being fairly productive to being so sick.

In the meantime some other damage common to ME/CFS were not addressed and my body has suffered. I am just now getting the help and real medical care I need so badly.

God help us

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I don't know...she doesn't exactly look happy or very healthy to me. You would think if she felt "cured" she would be at least smiling in that picture.

taniaaust1

That article does not deserve views as it is so terrible. So I'll quote just a couple of it's bits.

For more than a decade, Kim Hawes of Dartmouth, N.S., suffered from chemical sensitivity, agoraphobia, anxiety and depression, and no doctor could tell her why. Her condition resolved and she was able to return to work after undergoing an innovative form of talk therapy with psychiatrist Allan Abbass, whose methods suggest that unexplained physical symptoms can be caused by unresolved emotional trauma

A man arrives via wheelchair, dragging frozen feet the last few steps, leaning heavily on a cane. He takes a seat, talks to Dr. Abbass. When he leaves, he carries his cane under his arm.

As employees, they rack up sick days. Many end up on long-term disability. They are often unfairly suspected of faking. But their pain is real, says Dr. Abbass. It’s just been caused, or made worse, by psychological factors.

I can not bring myself to read the whole article.

Well....it strikes me this is focusing on the same old options.
Scans, invasive tests (probably even inappropriate ones "just to be on the safe side"), more scans, MRIs....yada yada....
OR when they show up nothing....psychiatry.
Easy! You have unresolved traumas! Problem solved,

"Oh we have this magic for you! Go and thrash out your traumas with a tough love psychiatrist and your medical issue will be solved!"

My favorite so far - your daughter is avoiding school! There must be something going on at SCHOOL! She's depressed!

Yeah. She loves school and has taken many of the depression tests. Guess what? She's not depressed!

But since we can't SEE an illness in a lab test, it must be in your head. Next thing we will have to think happy thoughts to make it all go away!