• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glycine/Serine ratio and under/over methylation?

Kimsie

Could the Glycine/Serine ratio could tell us anything about whether a person is over/undermethlyated? I don't think it could be used all by itself, but along with other factors it might give evidence for a person to figure out if they are an over or under methylator.

Here are the NutrEval results for me and my husband.
Glycine_serine ratio.jpg

The ratios go along with what I have suspected to be our methylation type. I think the angle of the red line is more important than the ratio numbers.

A person could have a high or low ratio and have normal methylation, since so many factors are involved, but if a person has reason to believe that their methylation is not normal, the ratio could give a clue because glycine is used to keep SAMe levels from getting too high, and the glycine/serine ratio affects the direction of the SHMT enzyme which affects the availability of 5, 10 methyleneTHF, which is needed for MTHFR and for thymidlyate synthesis.