• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutathione instant sleep!!

Does anyone else fall asleep after a glutathione dose? Within half an hour I will either be drowsy or in a deep sleep. I’d really like to take 1 gram but not if it’s going to put me in to a 12 hour sleep.

@Mary bioceuticals glutathione tablets - I think they are only 250mg each. I’m taking it with ultra potent C and after I wake up I instantly feel nausea and my stomach rumbling.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Interesting @Melissa89. @ljimbo423 says that 5 to 10 mg. - a fraction of what you're taking - puts him to sleep. That sounds a little bizarre, maybe it's the form he's taking?

So many people here have trouble with insomnia, I wonder if this might be a useful remedy for some. I have taken reduced glutathione in powder form (I forget the dose) but the only effect I felt was a bit of a herx reaction later.

ljimbo423

What form/brand of glutathione do you take?

I take this one. It's not even meant to be sublingaul but that's usually how I take it. I get a good nights sleep almost every night now but I might add in 5 mg glutathione and see if I can improve it even more.:)

I don't know why I react to glutathione like that. With it's precursors like N-acetyl-cystiene, I get very energized.:confused:o_O

Mary

Moderator Resource
@ljimbo423 - those are 50 mg. tablets so do you cut them to get your 5 or 10 mg doses?

Do you take it before bed so it will help with sleep?

Though if taking it with NAC energizes you, I would think that would be best taken in the morning of course!

Like I said, I've taken it (from Bulk Supplements) and I think I noticed a bit of a herx reaction but that was all. Huh - I wonder what is happening you and @Melissa89!?

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary bioceuticals glutathione tablets - I think they are only 250mg each. I’m taking it with ultra potent C and after I wake up I instantly feel nausea and my stomach rumbling.
I wonder if that's a herx or detox reaction? So do you take it before bed, since it puts you to sleep for 12 hours?

I know you'd like to take more, but it doesn't sound like your body is ready for that!

ljimbo423

those are 50 mg. tablets so do you cut them to get your 5 or 10 mg doses?

Yes, I think I cut them into 8 pieces. So they are about 6 mg each.

Do you take it before bed so it will help with sleep?

I haven't tried it before bed yet but I just dug up the bottle I had stored away and have 1/8 tablet by my bed ready for tonight.:)

Though if taking it with NAC energizes you, I would think that would be best taken in the morning of course!

I haven't taken any glutathione in quite a while because of the drowsiness it causes. I take NAC every day and it always energizes me when I increase the dose.

NAC is a direct precursor to glutathione. That's why it seems so odd that glutathione puts me to sleep but NAC gives me a lot of energy.

I wonder what is happening you and @Melissa89!?

I don't have any idea but I've taken dozens of supplements (probably over a hundred) over the years and glutathione is the only one that has ever done that to me.

I wonder if that's a herx or detox reaction? So do you take it before bed, since it puts you to sleep for 12 hours?

I know you'd like to take more, but it doesn't sound like your body is ready for that!
I think I will go in to a coma with more!!! 😂 I am not sure why I’m having this reaction - I’ve never had issues with insomnia I can fall asleep easily & like @ljimbo423 i have taken several supplements and never reacted this way. I was grocery shopping and took glutathione half hour earlier and needed to leave the store because I thought I would fall asleep. I laid down in bed and I was out for a 3 hour nap.

I’m now taking 1 x 250mg capsule half an hour before I want to sleep (pass out).

@ljimbo423 The only way I can describe my reaction half hour after taking glutathione is “cannot stay awake”. My eyes feel heavy and there’s nothing I can do to keep myself from falling asleep. I’m assuming this is your issue as well and I’m wondering if we have a similar underlying issue.

ljimbo423

@ljimbo423 The only way I can describe my reaction half hour after taking glutathione is “cannot stay awake”. My eyes feel heavy and there’s nothing I can do to keep myself from falling asleep. I’m assuming this is your issue as well and I’m wondering if we have a similar underlying issue.

What happens to me is almost exactly what happens to you. About 1/2 hour after I take the glutathione it's "lights out"! I just can't stay awake.

We might have the same underlying issue but what that is, I could only wildly speculate on. I took ambien for a while many years ago to help me sleep.

It would make me so drowsy after about 30-40 minutes I couldn't stay awake, very much like glutathione. That's the best comparison I can make.