• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutamate & Chronic Pain: Like we needed another reason to dis it ....

YippeeKi YOW !!

I know this won't exactly be news to a lot of us, but after ohhhh, so many years of having the medical community, the food industry, and BigPharma deny that free-glutamic acid, glutamate, and/or MSG reactions are ..... wait for it ......drum roll:

"ALL IN YOUR HEAD ....."

I thought that this very readable research article might be of interest.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/02/180216142702.htm

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@YippeeKi YOW !! - very interesting, and not at all surprising either! Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

You know what though, I think it would be good if you changed the title to indicate something about how glutamate was found to be linked to chronic pain. The word glutamate caught my eye because it's played a nasty role in insomnia for me, but people with chronic pain might overlook this thread --

YippeeKi YOW !!

@PatJ
Brilliant article, and thank you so much for posting it.

In an odd case of synchronicity, I read this during the period that I was trying to find answers to questions I coudln;t even formulate, about a year or so before I joined PR, but due to the cog fog and general misty memory-ness, altho I wanted to revisit it, I could not only not find it in my groaning and overstuffed 'Favorites' files, I couldn;t even remember where I'd found it in the first place.

Thank you sooooo much for providing me again with this invaluable reference. I'm going to re-read it, this time with much better cog and much less fog.

I'm so grateful to you for this!!! :):):) :woot::woot: :thumbsup: :hug:

YippeeKi YOW !!

@PatJ
As an afterthought, do you think it might be useful to add this to your list of resources, treatment, diagnosis, etc? I think, based on what I've read here from other members, that an awful lot of us suffer from glutamate reactions, many without being aware of what's causing it, or even what glutamate is or its many contributory dietary sources.

This could go a long way towards explaining all that.

Failing that, would it be OK if I started a thread on this article, or alternately if you did?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
As an afterthought, do you think it might be useful to add this to your list of resources, treatment, diagnosis, etc? I think, based on what I've read here from other members, that an awful lot of us suffer from glutamate reactions, many without being aware of what's causing it, or even what glutamate is or its many contributory dietary sources.

I agree that it's a very useful article, but I think it's too specific for my list of resources, which is meant to be a guide to comprehensive, broad coverage info sources.

Failing that, would it be OK if I started a thread on this article, or alternately if you did?

Feel free to create a thread!

YippeeKi YOW !!

@PatJ
I think it's too specific for my list of resources, which is meant to be a guide to comprehensive, broad coverage info sources.
You're absolutely right. It occurred to me as I was posting that to you, but I knew that you'd know best, so just in case I was wrong, I asked anyway.
Feel free to create a thread!
Will do so, as soon as I finish snapping out of this last little backslide.

Thank you again for that article. You are SUCH a total peach of a mensch.