• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glial Cells control Heart rate

Wishful

https://newatlas.com/medical/new-heart-cell-nexus-glia/

They found a type of glial cell in the heart that seems to take part in heart rate control. I believe that glial cells are affected in ME, so this could be one way how ME affects heart rate and blood pressure. I wonder how difficult it would be to monitor these cells in PWME while they're experiencing heart or blood flow problems.

lenora

Thanks @Wishful. Interesting to read about something new that has been discovered. Glial cells are in the brain and spinal cord for those unsure of what this means. Lots of new research coming aboard each day. If there are any follow-ups it would be interesting to read them. Yours, Lenora.

Wishful

"Primarily, glial cells provide support and protection to the neurons (nerve cells), maintain homeostasis, cleaning up debris, and forming myelin. They essentially work to care for the neurons and the environment they are in."

They also respond to cytokines from other parts of the body, so if your muscles or gut or whatever activates their immune cells and release cytokines, the glial cells may alter the functioning of neurons and nerve cells. ME might be maintaining glial cells in an abnormal state and thus the neural cells too.