• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gillian McCarthy passed away on 2nd February 2021, link to her funeral service.

Countrygirl

Over the years, many of us here on PR have supported Gillian McCarthy.

Gillian, a very highly intelligent lady, a scientist who authored books, and was a leading world expert on equine nutrition, was severely affected by ME and chemical sensitivities and for many, many years lived in a field in Somerset in terrible conditions as she could not tolerate the chemical soup in which we live.

She was very generous with her knowledge and, despite living in a dilapidated shed with no electricity or running water, made a remarkable contribution to the patient community and sought to educate people about MCS in particular.

Remarkably, given her terrible circumstances, every Christmas she sent us all little gifts which I treasure. These were accompanied by long letters which were just about indecipherable.

For years, we fund-raised for her, sent her heating packs, old woolen clothes ( she could not tolerate new ones), bottled water, and other basics necessary for life as she had no electricity or modern conveniences and lived in a very damp hut in the middle of a field.

I recall the day that Dr Annie Macintyre and I dashed up to Somerset to help protect her hut from being bulldozed as the council threatened to flatten it in order to get rid of her. We planned to lie in front of the bulldozer should it be necessary. However, we also invited the BBC to join us and the bailiffs soon backed away when they were confronted with the TV cameras.

Over the years, many friends of Gillian on PR have helped her survive and I know she was very, very grateful.

Sadly, in January she had a fall, couldn't get up and was lying on damp ground for........I think........four days and nights. Gillian never received help from the medical profession who let her down very badly; however, this time medical help did attend ............a person who was infected, I understand, with Covid. Gillian developed the illness and, unable to access further medical help, died alone in the field on February 2nd.

For those of us who couldn't attend the funeral, it is recorded here. It tells you the amazing story of a remarkable woman who achieved much despite the direst of circumstances.

Even if you did not know Gillian, I recommend that you listen to it.

We will greatly miss her.

Countrygirl

This is one tribute to her that appears in the video of her funeral. I thought it caught Gillian's personality and character well:

Gillian's struggles are a salient lesson for all of us who find ourselves on the margins of society, She showed incredible grit and determination that carried her through life when lesser mortals might have become discouraged and given up. With humour and stoic resilience, her faith in a fairer world imbued her with courage and strength to fight for a better future not only for herself but for us all. I feel sure her indominable spirit lives on,….there are many good people who will, I am sure, draw inspiration from Gillian's life, who will continue to pursue her vision. Roger Moller..former trustee ES-UK.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Over the years, many of us here on PR have supported Gillian McCarthy.

Gillian, a very highly intelligent lady, a scientist who authored books, and was a leading world expert on equine nutrition, was severely affected by ME and chemical sensitivities and for many, many years lived in a field in Somerset in terrible conditions as she could not tolerate the chemical soup in which we live.
Thank you Countrygirl for sharing this sad end to her incredible story of survival against the odds. I know that many from this site have helped her in so many ways. May she now be free and in comfort.

YippeeKi YOW !!

If the world gets any sadder, I don't know if I can take it ...

To be left alone in the middle of a field to die slowly from a COVID infection delivered to her by a member of the medical profession who had, up until then and thereafter, ignored her, has left me torn between heartbreak and raging fury ...

It's good to see you @Countrygirl, altho the news is desperately sad .... it was thoughtful of you to post it ....

Pyrrhus

I recall the day that Dr Annie Macintyre and I dashed up to Somerset to help protect her hut from being bulldozed as the council threatened to flatten it in order to get rid of her. We planned to lie in front of the bulldozer should it be necessary. However, we also invited the BBC to join us and the bailiffs soon backed away when they were confronted with the TV cameras.

I just love your stories @Countrygirl ! :heart:

Maybe you should write all your memoirs into a separate thread or blog.
I'd love to read more about all your escapades saving patients...

RIP Annie Macintyre
RIP Gillian McCarthy

bensmith

If the world gets any sadder, I don't know if I can take it ...

To be left alone in the middle of a field to die slowly from a COVID infection delivered to her by a member of the medical profession who had, up until then and thereafter, ignored her, has left me torn between heartbreak and raging fury ...

It's good to see you @Countrygirl, altho the news is desperately sad .... it was thoughtful of you to post it ....

Ik : (. Very hard to read. Even though she was so strong, she shouldn’t of had to of been