• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GI Results: Need Help With Correct Supplements

Can anyone look over these results of a GI test and let me know what supplements would be best to take?

A bit of a background: I was taking large doses of Rifaxamin off and on over the past couple of years, to help with SIBO issues. After some time, it didn't work anymore but I still kept taking it, hoping I could rid my body of the bacterial overgrowth in my digestive tract. I don't know if that's what created the balance of bacteria I have right now, or not, since I was having issues in the first place that led me to take the Rifaxamin.

RESULTS from a GI test:

PATHOGENS: none
H. PYLORI: GONE (I had it years ago, but maybe Rifaxamin removed it?)

NORMAL BACTERIAL FLORA:
Lactobacillus spp. LOW 3.3e5 (range 8.6e5-6.20e8)
Bacteroidetes LOW 6.13e11 (range 8.61e11-3.31e12)

OPPORTUNISTIC BACTERIA
Bacillus spp. HIGH 1.88e5 (range <1.50e5)
Staphylococcus aureus HIGH 8.48e2 (range <5.00e2)
Streptococcus spp. HIGH 1.07e4 (range <1.00e3)

FUNGI/YEAST: normal
VIRUSES: normal
PARASITES: none

INTESTINAL HEALTH
steatocrit HIGH 17 (range <15)

Seems like probiotics are needed, but what ones would help, not cause more imbalances? What are your thoughts? I also have bloodwork results, if that can help in any way. Thanks!!

Archie

That dont to me look so bad if think how easy it could be fixed. H.Pylori seems to be sometimes master of hiding in deep mucosal lining, so sometimes it just come back . There is new treatment option for H.Pylori called pylopass , it`s inactivated Lactobacillus reuteri DSM17648 which travels trough gut and binds itself with h.pylori and get it out .

https://www.elementa-ingredients.com/en/ingredient/pylopas-h-pylori-control/

But these are some powerful probiotic strains + prebiotics . It is not enough to use just probiotics, you have to feed your gut microbiome also , it`s an ecosystem and need food .

-Bifidobacterium Infantis 35624

- Lactobacillus plantarum 299v

- LACTOBACILLUS RHAMNOSUS GG

- Escherichia coli Nissle 1917 ( aka Mutaflor, non-pathogenic helpful bacterium, which is NOT to be confused with the disease-causing Escherichia Coli )

- Saccharomyces boulardii

prebiotics :

- Bimuno daily

- Green banana flour ( resistant starch ) I would start this one maybe last 2-4 weeks after other prebiotics & probiotics , or at small dosage from start ( might take time for gut to get use to it, but it is a great prebiotic no doubt .

- Ground flaxseed

- Cacao powder or nibs or dark chocolate

Mutaflor is known to be good probiotic against some pathogenic bugs , but it require to be stored at cold, so it`s different in storage conditions .

hi gypsy. what is a gi test, colonoscopy, endoscopy? ive had streptococus. and staph aureus, in my nasal culture when i had sinus infection, several yrs. ago. i was very sick. had to go on iv antibiotics. staph aureus is mrsa infection. i wouldnt let this go.

joanie

Interesting about the new treatment for h.pylori. If my daughter's test results come back still positive, I'll see if she can consider the new treatment. Sounds promising!

I'm hoping someone will have actual supplement recommendations (which company/doses, etc., for me to consider). I'll definitely work on more prebiotics! Thanks!

Hi Joanie! The results were from a gi stool test. That's scary about the mrsa infection. I hope others can shed some light on my results, as I'd most certainly not want to let a mrsa infection happen.

Archie

Bacillus Subtilis would probably eliminate Staphylococcus aureus

https://www.targethealth.com/post/probiotic-bacillus-eliminates-staphylococcus-aureus

That`s one more good reason to sometimes use Threelac probiotic that have Bacillus Subtilis , can buy also in separate only b.subtilis also thought . 20-30 % people have Staphylococcus aureus , it wont automatically mean to have infection if i understand right ,and not all are Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) strains ?

But it would be good to know is it Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or not

I came across that study earlier today, but appreciate the link because it's much easier to understand when it's summarized that way. Thanks, Archie!

I'm hoping someone will suggest specific supplements/brands that will help balance the low/high levels. I'm having a hard time knowing what supplement to select, when they are almost always blends of probiotics and I'm worried to take in too much of any that I already have in my body in a healthy amount. :-/

Archie

I think taking just Bimuno ( galactooligosaccharide ) prebiotic should start even alone positive results, it should increace good bacteria ,bifido /lactobacillus . If you have history of using antibiotics for on/off several years i would be surpriced if you had enough bifido /lacto bacterias, most likely they have dropped down too much .

There is so much to choose from probiotic brands and to use single or multi probiotic products. I personnally used for years high dose multi strain probiotics, but now i come in to wiew that using few very good strains combined with good prebiotics might give bigger punch /effect . I think you might get different answers depending to who you ask.

If you would go with the single strain+prebiotic here is some to choose :

https://fi.iherb.com/pr/Align-24-7-Digestive-Support-Probiotic-Supplement-28-Capsules/83453

-Align strain is same as Bifidobacterium Infantis 35624 , just use different name , the naming of some probiotic strains sometimes change to other as time goes by

https://fi.iherb.com/pr/Jarrow-Formulas-Ideal-Bowel-Support-299v-30-Veggie-Caps/23209

-This one have the Lactobacillus plantarum 299v

https://fi.iherb.com/pr/Culturelle-...iotic-30-Once-Daily-Vegetarian-Capsules/56049

- Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG

You probably can find Saccharomyces boulardii where you live at directly in stores .

Mutaflor is specific powerful probiotic that you can get later add if want to more punch .

The reason behind bimuno helping is i believe, it start get good bacteria growing, and then the balance between good & bad bugs start get more back to homeostasis , the ratio changes and then it should help gut symptoms, mind and whole body . Keep in mind that even adding just bimuno alone can cause unpleasant symptoms first , as the fight between gut bugs can cause die off as some bugs die .

Last edited:
Sounds like a good idea to begin with the Bimuno. Thanks, Archie. I'm a bit worried, since I have SIBO, but if I start off small and work my way up, maybe it won't be so bad. I'll definitely keep it in mind that things could feel worse at first, but then get better. I tend to stop trying things when symptoms get worse, so it's good to remember to go slow and see how it works...because it might just help! That would be great! Thanks!

BeADocToGoTo1

Can you handle full fat, unsweetened Kefir or yoghurt with active cultures? Organic, grass fed is preferable.

How about sauerkraut or other types of fermented veggies?

Archie

I think i still have some sibo issues, and just quite recently i had the worst episode ever with huge bloating , so yeah it`s scary and painfull and it can be also scary to take probiotics for sibo for that reason.

I think , Lactobacillus plantarum 299v was at first actually making bloating worse, then it flipped , propably started making L-lactic acid and not D-lactic acid , and i then readed about the need of taking probiotics that dont make d-lactic acid like Bifidobacterium Infantis 35624 , Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG and Saccharomyces boulardii to balance

But compared to last month, i would say taking probiotics and prebiotis have made things better,even if initially had some worsening. It seems that SIBO is basically symptoms of gut dysbiosis, wrong make up of bacteria in microbiome that flames in to the small intestine also .

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29508268

This SIBO website talks about lactobacillus reuteri DSM 17938 being handy for decrease methane , i think i am going to try it since i never used it before

https://www.thesibodoctor.com/2017/...pre-and-probiotic-use-in-sibo/?v=f0aa03aaca95

https://www.biogaia.com/probiotic-health/lactobacillus-reuteri-strains/

https://www.europeanreview.org/wp/w...-in-methane-producer-constipated-patients.pdf

Archie

I forgot to mention, the chills have arrived , i noticed it yesterday that i feel cold chills and same thing today , might be die off sign. allmost 3 weeks since i started my probiotic & prebiotic adventure and this started ...normally i feel opposite and seek for cooler enviroment