• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ghb - xyrem

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
XYREM seems to be the gold standard of sleep, for many of us its too expensive or just not approved like here in australia. Why is xyrem so expensive, for those who dont know, xyrem is the drug GHB and it was sold in the 1980s as a bodybuilding supplement and was cheap as chips, it was promoted at increasing deep sleep and growth hormone production, all those things that people with cfs and fibro need.

Why is it now so dam expensive?? There are so many cfs/fibro people who whould really benefit from this drug but cant get access to it. I think even if retro drugs help cure cfs/fibro alot of us will be left with damage like sleep problems and nerve pain. We need these sort of meds to function properly.

cheers!!!

LaurelW

In the U.S. it's only dispensed by a single pharmacy, which you could call a monopoly. I don't know, but I suspect that it got clamped down on for being abused. Anybody have the facts?

Nielk

In the U.S. it's only dispensed by a single pharmacy, which you could call a monopoly. I don't know, but I suspect that it got clamped down on for being abused. Anybody have the facts?

Yes, they took it off the market when it was abused and slipped into alcoholic drinks. It was called the date rape drug.
It was simple to do because it's a transparent liquid. Before this abuse, they use to sell it as a supplement in health food
stores. Now it's a controlled substance that you can't even get from a drugstore. It comes directly from the Pharmaceutical
Company.

When I took it three years ago, my insurance company paid for it.

It's really a shame that it's so expensive. i think it could be very beneficial for many people with sleep problems.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
It's the "Date Rape" name that has the feds slapping the strictest possible regulations of any drug legally sold. The therapuetic dosages of Xyrem are way less than what is used in "date rape" situations and also much less than is need for a meaningful increase in growth hormone production. There is a difference between Xyrem and the GHB - Date Rape drug and that is that Xyrem is made with sodium and GHB is potassium (?). This is intentional for the reason that a large dose needed to pull off the date rape would be so much sodium that it would make someone sick or at the very least would know that they have drank something terrible.

There was packing slip / prescription label in the box the last time I received a shipment and the "Retail Price" (nobody ever pays this) was $1847 for a 30 day supply. It is manufactured by Jazz Pharmaceuticals (or a subsidiary) and I think they specialize in "Orphan" drugs.

heapsreal

what i think is strange is any of the sleeping pills on the market would work for date rape drugs, i just think its overkill so they can make money out of it and have a monopoly

Tammie

actually other sleeping pills would not have the same effect - GHB blocks the formation of new memories while one is under its influence, which is why it makes it easy for someone to rape someone who is on it and have that person have no memory of the event....if one were taking sleeping pills, they would be drugged, but still aware of what was happening and would be able to rememebr it

SaveMe

this stuff is the best from what ive heard
if not try valerian root with lemon balm ---studies prove it is effective for "Restorative sleep"

SaveMe

XYREM- the best damn sleep u ever had

this stuff is the best from what ive heard
if not try valerian root with lemon balm ---studies prove it is effective for "Restorative sleep"

panckage

Never tried it but apparently its easy and cheap to make with only a couple of easily purchasable ingredients. It sounds like it is quite addictive though so maybe not a good idea to be used regularly for sleep...

Nielk

Never tried it but apparently its easy and cheap to make with only a couple of easily purchasable ingredients. It sounds like it is quite addictive though so maybe not a good idea to be used regularly for sleep...
Don't play around with this. It could be really dangerous.

heapsreal

Its a fine line between an effective dose and an overdose in home made ghb. The raw products used generally aren't human quality and obtained from places like hardware stores etc.

some states and countries keep an eye on where the raw products are going and are sus on certain quantities etc

our best bet would be to get it researched and approved for cfsme and different companies making it to help competition bring down the rediculus cost.

panckage

LOL guys I have no intention to make it. Recently I noticed that phenibut made me sleep the whole night through. It can't be used regularly though. Anyway my google-fu lead me to people noting its relation to GBL and GHB and recommending it be homemade because it was the only way to ensure quality :p