• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

German XMRV study: Host range and cellular tropism of XMRV

K

_Kim_

pdf file with full text is in the Library

Host range and cellular tropism of the human exogenous gammaretrovirus XMRV. Kristin Stieler, Claudia Schulz, Madakasira Lavanya, Martin Aepfelbacher, Carol Stocking, Nicole Fischer
Abstract
Recently, the first human infection with an exogenous gammaretrovirus (XMRV) was reported. In its initial description, XMRV was confined to prostate stromal fibroblasts, although subsequent reports demonstrated XMRV protein expression in prostate epithelial cells. Most recently, XMRV has been detected in blood cells of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. The aim of this study was to elucidate the transmission routes and tissue tropism of XMRV by comparing its host range, receptor usage and LTR functionality with other MLV isolates. We demonstrate using pseudotype experiments that XMRV Env mediates efficient infection of cells from different species. We show that replication competent XMRV infects various human cell types, including hematopoietic cell lines and prostate stromal fibroblasts. XMRVLTR activity is significantly higher in the prostate cancer cell line LNCaP and in prostate stromal fibroblasts, compared to other cell types tested and could be one factor contributing to efficient viral spread in prostate tissue.

Chris

Hi--I had no trouble opening it--the link worked just fine. It is very technical, and I did not understand much of the detail, but the conclusions seem scary--it seems XMRV can spread quite efficiently via prostate --i.e. sexual transmission seems likely--and can infect many animal species, so there may be a large reservoir of the virus outside the mouse and human realm, capable of jumping over into the human--very disturbing! Best, Chris

G

George

Downloads blocked???

Hey BB it worked great for me. Are your downloads or pop ups blocked????

Kim great article on two front's first is the German group is recognizing XMRV as a new and unique human pathogen. They are not questioning it as a mouse contaminate. Which means that somewhere along the line between the IC study that was done in November/December and when this paper was resubmitted the question of XMRV being a mouse contaminate was settled.

The second is that they are already actively expanding their science outside of just prostate cancer and looking for the tissue reservoir for XMRV. My money is on the Lymph nodes themselves after reading this study.

Fascinating stuff. Have I told you how wonderful your library is ??? If not let me say thanks for adding a repository that is so beautiful done and search-able. My own bookmarks are a mess that my foggy brain has trouble organizing sometimes. I love ya man.

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

hematopoietic cell lines

Does this mean red blood cells? Could this theoretically explain and 'damage' to red blood cells noted in ME/CFS research?
From memory, I think Red Blood Cell 'mass' in some patients has been to be found to be less than normal, and also 'squshed' shape of Red Blood Cells was found by Dr Les Simpson from New Zealand.

Do you guys think LNcap will become available as a 'test' from VIPdx? If so, is it just for men?
I noticed Judy Mikovits talked about it the other day.

Thanks for posting this _Kim_

Kati

Patient in training
While the Lombardi article is mentioned, it doesn't sounds like this is a replication study per se, but a hopeful one. At the very least I hope it encourages other research teams to t ake on the task to find XMRV somewhere else than sick prostate tissues.

fds66

Sounds an interesting paper thanks.

Yes, Judy Mikovits was talking about using the LNCaP cells to demonstrate infectious XMRV in plasma I think in the talk from January.

Hope123

My understanding is LNCaP is a type of cell-line used to cultivate the virus and not a type of test. The Ca refers to cancer and the P to prostate I believe. It's only a test in so far that it is used to demonstrate transmission of viruses from CFS patient plasma to prostate cells.

Kim, is there a way to make access to the library less than 100 posts? Some of us can't post that much for various reasons and the standard on some forums I've seen are 20-50. 100 seems a lot to ask of CFS sufferers. Thanks.

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
In the article info., it says the journal first recieved the article on 14 sept. 2009.

I haven't read it all yet, but this this must have originally been in response to the cancer studies. Then they added in the CFS stuff in revision.
If this is the case, then they are studying a slightly different XMRV than the one found in the WPI study.

usedtobeperkytina

maybe not. This past summer news was out about WPI and XMRV. There was a secret meeting during the summer. No doubt, word has spread to retrovirologists even earlier, maybe spring of last year.

Tina

usedtobeperkytina

And by the way, I agree. The question in research has moved away from "if" it is a new human, infectious retrovirus. But the question in research now is what cells it infects and what does it cause when it does infect.

This study says these blood cells can be infected and tells the activity through prostate.

Anyone called the news media on this one? This involves prostate cancer. That ought to get some attention.

Tina

Abraxas

Kim, is there a way to make access to the library less than 100 posts? Some of us can't post that much for various reasons and the standard on some forums I've seen are 20-50. 100 seems a lot to ask of CFS sufferers. Thanks.

Perhaps there's a good reason for this? but I agree with Hope. It personally takes the majority of my energy just to read and digest what's on the forum.

K

_Kim_

Perhaps there's a good reason for this? but I agree with Hope. It personally takes the majority of my energy just to read and digest what's on the forum.

I set the library requirement up as 100 posts because that was the only delineation between member ranks (junior to senior). The problem in changing the requirement is a technical one. The promotion system doesn't recognize post count in members that joined before a certain time (I think it was November). I had to manually give permissions to over 50 of our senior members. It was a lot of work for me. If I lower the post requirement, the system will not automatically 'promote' everyone.

I am happy to give permissions to any junior member in good standing who asks for it. I've set Hope123 and bullybeef up with Library access and will do the same for Abraxas.

Nina

Hi Kim,

would you please "promote" me too? I would be really interested in having access to the library.

Nina

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Kim,

I'm not a techie, but aren't there three ranks? Junior member, Member, and Senior Member.

K

_Kim_

Kim,

I'm not a techie, but aren't there three ranks? Junior member, Member, and Senior Member.

Oh right... forgot about the plain ol' member rank.

One more thing. If you are going to post in the library, PLEASE read my welcome message. There is a convention of how to post that I'd like to maintain there. I want our Library to be well-organized and easy to access. There are also tips on how to search the library and how to attach a pdf file in there.