• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Geographical Data for ME?

Wishful

Has anyone come across any studies about the geographical rates of ME? I suppose it's difficult, since there's no clinical test for ME, so diagnoses of ME will be based on a country's medical system. I haven't come across any findings along the lines of: "ME is more prevalent in <country> and is less prevalent in <climate zone>".

If there was no clear geographical variance in ME frequency, it could be useful counterevidence to hypotheses about ME being due to various factors.

Also, while there have been reports of outbreaks of ME with suspected links to a microbial outbreak, did anyone check whether there were other outbreaks of the same microbe/strain that didn't result in abnormal rates of ME?

It just seems that there might be some useful insights in the data about ME cases.

vision blue

This study is sort of relevent
https://www.researchgate.net/public...w_of_Epidemiology_and_Natural_History_Studies

Because they discuss that it tends not to get diagnosed in the non affluent and minorities

So if there was a geographic study, likely it would show in the US cfs reported highesr in places like california and the northeast with more affluent places showing more incidence.

While looking for this came a ross a nice syudy from 10 years ago on how brain in an area between frontal and temporal lobe different in cfs than healthy controls and perhaps from long stsbding brain inflammation Not relevent to this thread thobso i better stop talkibg about it.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

This study is sort of relevent
https://www.researchgate.net/public...w_of_Epidemiology_and_Natural_History_Studies

Because they discuss that it tends not to get diagnosed in the non affluent and minorities

So if there was a geographic study, likely it would show in the US cfs reported highesr in places like california and the northeast with more affluent places showing more incidence.

While looking for this came a ross a nice syudy from 10 years ago on how brain in an area between frontal and temporal lobe different in cfs than healthy controls and perhaps from long stsbding brain inflammation Not relevent to this thread thobso i better stop talkibg about it.
Here in Germany presumably the lowest because we all have psychiatric illnesses!

vision blue

@Martin aka paused||M.E. Funny. And I like your picture. If I were younger, I'd make a play for you. (except that youre in germany- that would be strike against you, so would have to kidnap you, bring you to the states, and then you'd be off the psychiatric rolls (and onto to the Do We Give a F#^% rolls). I see you have 3 time as many likes as posts so i guess you and your pic are pretty popular with others too.

nina22

yeah sadly right now, I think all a map would tell us is where we need to travel to in order to get diagnosed or believed and not so much where actual cases exist lol